Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Earthless: Prelude - On Doom Classic Unity port and /idgames.

1 hour ago, OpenRift said:

How far along are you with that by the way? I'm really excited for the full version of this!

I am too, but I imagine it’s still a little ways off as he has about half a million different projects going on right now. I know he’s working on this, Timeless, Gloomy Tech Base, Raven MIDI Pack 2, and he recently released a couple big projects too that would’ve been pulling him away from Earthless.

On 10/17/2021 at 6:50 PM, OpenRift said:

How far along are you with that by the way? I'm really excited for the full version of this!

A bit less far along with it than I was hoping for, to be honest. I was aiming to have episode 3's five maps in a good working order by the end of NaNoWADMo, but this goal might not be realistic. I need to get back into streaming my mapping.

On 10/17/2021 at 8:22 PM, Faceman2000 said:

I am too, but I imagine it’s still a little ways off as he has about half a million different projects going on right now. I know he’s working on this, Timeless, Gloomy Tech Base, Raven MIDI Pack 2, and he recently released a couple big projects too that would’ve been pulling him away from Earthless.

As it happens I'm only really working on one of those projects you mention.

Played through the first four levels already and damn, gotta say I really love the vibe. It plays and feels a lot like Doom, but with a smooth and gradual admixture of Earth textures and monsters that's a much more gradual transition than what Doom 2 did. Plus the typical Deathless idiosyncrasies. Good stuff! 

If id is making addons outta your missions then one's got to wonder why they won't take UDTWiD and D2TWiD too while they're at it, they seem to favor missions with a similar feel to the original game.

I just played this after getting OG Doom on PS4. (My first time playing on a console; hated it! So I went and found the WAD for my Windows machine).

Anyway, this is my favorite kind of WAD (like Deathless and Jenesis too), similar to the old school gameplay but with a few modern tweaks. This was just fantastic. I'd never even heard of it before, too... and I loved Deathless!

Quick question for @Jimmy: is the plan to release the full megawad, which could be a year or two off (?), or will there be another chunk of levels taking it up to like 20 levels, and then a final release with everything later on?

Really enjoyed this, felt like playing Knee-Deep in the Dead for the first time, or what I had imagined Doom II would be like before actually playing it.

Next release will be the full megawad. Watch this space for updates.

When I next go live with Earthless mapping I'll leave a post in the Doom Streams thread.

Hey, that'll come in handy! Might have to take a look into adding a UMAPINFO properly into the full version of Earthless.

Thanks!

@Jimmy Hey, I recently played through the first 12 levels again and was just curious how the full wad is going. I saw some of the new 'mappening' on your Twitch about a month ago, it looked good! Not trying to rush anything, if this wad is a year away then it's a year away.

Just discovered and played this. Fantastic stuff, but seems it's abandoned now... Sad that this doesn't seem to be worked on, but glad we have what we have now. 

Earthless's full version is in production, but it's had a few hitches due to some fairly prolonged creative droughts and poor planning on my part. I need to get back into the habit of Twitch streaming the progress I've been making.

Posted (edited)

Sorry for bump, but I just wanted to mention that the death exits in MAP05 and MAP10 don't work in cl9 or MBF21 compatibility modes.

Apparently this is due to only being able to telefrag 1 actor that is at the exact same coordinates at a time, so only the Icon of Sin dies but the barrels don't blow up.

You can fix this for the full megawad release by nudging the barrels around a couple units so that none occupy the exact origin coordinates as something else. This will ensure the player telefrags all of them even in modern compat modes.