Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarnsman

[Megawad] Tarnsman's Projectile Hell - Now on idgames

I finally decided to sit down and play this, so I finished the first 3 maps, and skipped ahead to E2M1, E3M1 and E4M1 just to see what they have in store.

Anyways, I start playing E4M1, having fun, IDKFA so I don't really care about anything other than killing myself with the rocket double barrel shotgun.

Then I pressed a switch and heard that horrible, horrible sound that used to give me PTSD nightmares.

Spoiler

index.jpg.be6ac84f84e18e68b323a9b1655d41f9.jpg

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

10/10

I'm halfway through playing this and having a blast so far. I'm doing UV with pistol starts and the difficulty is as advertised, quite spicy at times and a tad ammo starved - you'll sometimes have to use your kicks (berserk strength with no powerup required) to save ammo, or run past some monsters to get the ammo pickups behind them. The bullet dispenser (ie. super chaingun) is powerful as hell but for some encounters you'll need it.

A good chunk of the secrets are very hidden, and wall-humping is discouraged because Doomgirl gets very loudly annoyed.

Also, I had no idea what the Megazerk packs did until I read the readme - I assumed they were basically like the original berserk packs, and lets just say that while it is possible to beat E2M4 without penta-damage you'll have a much more fun time if you make use of it.

The concept, setting and story are what happens when you combine Valiant with an anime-induced fever dream. I love the caffeinated imps that won't stop throwing fireballs, and the cocaine-fueled cacodemons make me very happy even when they're swarming and hard to hit, I just fucking love cacos ok?

Most of E1 and E2's maps are smallish, which makes the higher difficulty enjoyable - you don't feel like you have to save too often.

Some of the later maps in E3 (particularly E3M5 and E3M7) change the pace to sprawling exploration, and thankfully the difficulty lets up a bit for these ones and doesn't do the resource starvation thing. These maps are reminiscent of BTSX's E2M20 (also by Tarnsman) and E2M25. I love the odd Mechadon-esque non-orthogonal maze map here and there, so these were really fun.

A few comments:

- In E3M9, there's a chaingun spider that will shoot you through a fake wall (opaque mid texture) while you explore the southwest part of the map

Spoiler

, unless you find its secret room early on

. This is a tad too dickish for my taste, I thought a chaingunner was shooting me from a ledge somewhere but I couldn't see anything. IMO it should have been visible from outside.

- In E3M7, this mandatory switch to leave the room with the teleporting Arch-Vile is very well hidden, I actually thought I was softlocked for a good 2 or 3 minutes. Not going to spoiler this one because its not a secret :)

TPH-E3M7-hiddenswitch.png.dbd3eb670c6754e09e00625eee95c2f9.png

Now that is the most Of My favorite Map Place that I Can play usually E4M6 E3M3 And E2M9 my favorite levels on this Wad but kinda Makes Jammed while My Keyboard Absolutely DEEZ NUTS and I Hope that's a great perfect day

On 3/28/2023 at 7:10 AM, Unregret said:

Hello, can you release a version without player weapons, keeping only monsters and objectives?

Have You tried putting a weapons-only mod after Tarnman's Projectile Hell in the load order?
I think that would overwrite his custom weapons.

Sorry, no time to try it myself right now, I am at work.

I'm afraid to try, because some maps have special triggers or events, which could break if using custom gameplay mods.
Also, when I try this Project MSX, most of wall/ground textures turned to 8-bit color for some reason. Must be palette/colormap conflict that I don't know how to fix.

Edited by Unregret