Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clamgor

[released] Panic Switch!

Heya. Made another vanilla map! It's called Panic Switch.

You have been instructed to inspect an abandoned research base that has been lost to the forces of hell. Rip and Tear!

LINK: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/p-r/pswitch

DETAILS

PWAD pswitch.wad

IWAD, Map Doom 2, MAP01

PORT prBoom+ 2.6.1 (-complevel 9)

Single and Co-op Play

Vanilla Gameplay (No Freelook/Jump/Crouch)

Base New from scratch
Build Time 9 days.
Editor(s) used Doom Builder 2, Slade 2
Known Bugs Slime Trails (if you find any, let me know of other bugs!)
May Not Run With Chocolate Doom
Tested With prBoom+ 2.6.1, ZDoom 2.8.1, GZDoom 4.4.2

Screenshots

Screenshot_Doom_20210825_174854.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210825_174951.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210825_175045.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210825_175240.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210825_175512.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210825_175727.png

Hello. I played your map on UV, prboom cl9 for "safety" because OP says it's vanilla tested in boom complevel, while "limit-removing" in text file, so not sure what is the intended compatibility here.

I liked it, kind of old-school vibes in a way - gangs of assorted species, lots of space to move and no lock-ins for the most part, the occasional "random" closets with yet another group of different beasts, opening doors and finding monsters clogging the entrance, barons tossed in like lemon seeds in a salad, shawn's got the shotgun for BGM (even if I'm personally sick of it heh). Looks like there's potential to bring multiple hordes together in the bigger rooms and BFG them all at once, though you still can't overlook the hitscanners, and probably need the secret spheres for that. 

I wasn't sure about the finale, I just sat on the higher part and let the chaingunners infight the imps and barons, no incentive for me to jump back in there. I entered with the secret invul but by the time I spotted the switch it ran out. Also there was a spider mastermind stuck in one of the corners, which I assume is a side effect from playing in cl9. EDIT: something else, the chaingunners were taking years to spawn til the last one, the teleport closets in general would benefit from additional tele lines (recommend checking this tutorial)

Would also suggest swapping some boxes of bullets and clips for rockets here and there, because they are more fun in the context of multiple high-HP monsters (there's already plenty BFG though so it's a minor observation).

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by galileo31dos01

8 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

I wasn't sure about the finale, I just sat on the higher part and let the chaingunners infight the imps and barons, no incentive for me to jump back in there. I entered with the secret invul but by the time I spotted the switch it ran out. Also there was a spider mastermind stuck in one of the corners, which I assume is a side effect from playing in cl9. EDIT: something else, the chaingunners were taking years to spawn til the last one, the teleport closets in general would benefit from additional tele lines (recommend checking this tutorial)

Thanks for sharing!

Hey, thanks for the feedback! The Spider Mastermind sometimes spawns in the corner teleports instead of the center because it sometimes takes the lower teleporter instead of the one directly to their north and I couldn't find a way around it, so I'll check that teleport tutorial out! Thanks!

I played this yesterday and had a blast. My brain's too low energy to actually critique it, but I just want you to know your map was played, and it was enjoyed :)