Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ani

Mario-Themed Megawad announcement and assistance wanted

Remember the recreation levels I did for Bomb Omb Battlefield and Thwomp's Fortress from Mario 64? Well, I'm going to do an entire megawad based around recreating every level in the style of Doom while using assets from Brutal Doom 64. I got a few more maps planned out but I can't seem to capture the mountain themed ones very well. I could use help by bringing in one or more level designers to help me out on my project and anyone willing to help me out will be credited in the megawad. It's only the mountain levels I need some some assistance with, which there are only 3: Cool Cool Mountain, Tall Tall Mountain and Snowman's Land. Everything else I got drawn out in a blueprint. But that's all I need at the moment. Anyone wanting to help out, lemme know in the replies or messages!

sketch-1656112503505.png

Some screenshots would be nice. Normally a picture is worth a thousand words, but here a screenshot is worth a million. Especially since we are in oooos and aaaaahs about Golden Souls 3.

6 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

Oh you want screenshots? Sure, here ya go:

Screenshot_Doom_20220620_161700.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220628_180909.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220615_183030.png

3 minutes ago, Ani said:

Oh yeah, The castle screenshot may not look good but I had to brighten things up to have a clear showing of what the castle looks like outside. Inside is something you'll have to see for yourself if I get this to work out.

yeah the 1st and 3rd look really familiar!

now my only concern is since these are replicas of the SM64 levels, could these violate copyright laws? 

Just now, Pure Hellspawn said:

As long as I'm not selling this afterwards, it shouldn't. Should I probably keep these limited to people close to me?

i can almost guarantee you'll be okay, the only reason i mentioned anything was because the layouts match and Nintendo is actually quite infamous about copyrights. no other game company is like Nintendo in this matter.

1 minute ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

Really? Eh I dunno man... This won't destroy my motivation to make more of these maps but I'm now unsure whether I should share them to the public now that you pointed out Nintendo's aggressive copyright abuse.

it is up to you.

i think you could release them, but maybe alter the levels so as to not mimic the layout. other than the layout you would be completely good. this is also a great opportunity for some creativity!

1 minute ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

Oh yes, especially since I'm using Brutal Doom 64 as a base for the megawad since I think it will give me more resources than the original version.

People recreate maps from other games all the time, including recreating assets from Mario games. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Oh really? Well alrighty then. I had this idea in mind because I never saw anyone remake Mario 64 in this style before and I figured maybe I can be the first guy to do it. I guess that helped me out a bit. But I could still use some help or a collaborations from other level designers to make the 3 Mountain levels possible. That's all I'm concerned about now. But thanks man!

I know this is pretty early on but, if you would like a play tester feel free to reach out!  I'm fairly new to modding for most of these but if I could get a quick walk through I'm down!  :)

4 hours ago, Twilightsoul1 said:

Of course! I can show you in messages if you're down!

Those screenshots are cool and actually look like SM64 levels, in the second screenshot the outside area looks a little too open when compared to the original outside area of the Mushroom Kingdom.

Hey ya'll, great news is that I got 4 maps done and I've been learning some stuff about using Slade. But I'll be taking some time off to draw out the layouts for some of the other levels and focus on some small projects. Not to mention, I don't wanna face burnout. Projects going well and I cannot wait for you guys see what I got in mind, but in the meantime, there are some steps I'll be taking to maintain my energy and motivation. If there are some tips or suggestions ya'll have for me for this megawad, lemme know!

Hi Ani, I've merged this with your existing thread on the subject. Please keep all posts pertaining to Super Doom 64 in one thread (and feel free to re-name the thread to make it more accurate to the contents, if you see fit).

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Alright then, I'll try and keep that in mind. Much appreciated.

On 7/8/2022 at 6:12 PM, Doomkid said:

So far I got 6 levels done and tested. I got 6 more Mario 64 levels with some help from another mapper to make so far.

I'll also be including levels from 2 N64 titles and one gamecube title ;)

Once that's done, I gotta learn more about Slade and get all of these levels together. I plan on a few music modification since that's pretty much all I figured out what to do at the moment. But progress is going pretty good! I just need to draw out more blueprints, study the level designs and repeat. Just to update ya'll for tonight. Peace!