Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrFroz

[GZDoom] Overlook City (Jump allowed)

Hello everyone,

This map was meant to be part of my old Blood-inspired mod. I started developing it during 2018, but I couldn't complete it due to some complicated personal circumstances.

My previous map was based on the Wild West era level of Duke Nukem: Time to Kill, so I felt like that game was a great source of inspiration and decided to recreate the popular city level next.

This time around, it was a little bit more complicated to design everything since as opposed to a western setting, Blood textures and props weren't quite enough to render a modern city. So I had to import a few assets from Duke Nukem 3D and Realm667.

Feedback for early screenshots of the level received praise for truly looking like a map from Blood. There was also someone who told me that the design reminded him of Batman Doom, which I never played. I love it when people have their own interpretations of what I do. After having a work-in-progress version of this map rotting for about four years, I decided to finish it for once and I think the end result is my best map yet.

Screenshot:

Screenshot_Doom_20230127_174240.png.e1d23bd75a7e779caaac5752fadf2427.png

Download Link: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/overlook

Alternate DL Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/eur3ggfbkb2wpqz/overlook.zip/file

Hope you enjoy it!

Edited by MrFroz

Oh! another nice map from "Duke Nukem: Time To Kill"!

At least, I can recall some of those locations (especially subway, club and apartments).

You really forged something like your own style with mixture of that geometry & these textures.

Few small things that you can add (if you want, of course):

• A small red dynamic light to that unpowered door in the subway.
  • A medium orange flickering dynamic light to the custom burning barrel in the subway.
  • A small white/yellowish dynamic light to some custom sprites of lights sources.
  • Ability to use security screens. You can make them as "render targets" (but it is also very expensive for game's engine) or just to be used like similar ones in "Counter Strike 1.6" (on cs_assault or on the cs_mansion with cs_militia). This one is very optional, I think.

But even without these map is really nice to explore.

I remember that there was one map that is based on that part of "DN:TTK", but there was a huge sewers system & that map required to use "FreeDoom2.wad", for some reason (there was one or two textures that isn't in "Doom2.wad").

And, to be honest, I like your version more, since you are having a good time with custom textures & decorations all around.

Keep it up, mate! I am really want to see more maps from various "Duke Nukems" that gonna be recreated by you!

And here is video with my playthrough! I hope that you don't mind of me using different weapon mod this time though:

21 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

Oh! another nice map from "Duke Nukem: Time To Kill"!

At least, I can recall some of those locations (especially subway, club and apartments).

You really forged something like your own style with mixture of that geometry & these textures.

I'm really glad to hear someone saying this particular thing because I was actually going to state in the accompanying text file (before uploading the WAD) that my goal was to take these very different game worlds and blend them together in a single level that although borrowed heavily from each one, still had its own identity.

Few small things that you can add (if you want, of course):

• A small red dynamic light to that unpowered door in the subway.
  • A medium orange flickering dynamic light to the custom burning barrel in the subway.
  • A small white/yellowish dynamic light to some custom sprites of lights sources.
  • Ability to use security screens. You can make them as "render targets" (but it is also very expensive for game's engine) or just to be used like similar ones in "Counter Strike 1.6" (on cs_assault or on the cs_mansion with cs_militia). This one is very optional, I think.

But even without these map is really nice to explore.

I could have taken more advantage of GZDoom's features and add stuff such as sliding doors, but there was a point during the development process where I had to make a decision between spending time to make things a bit more prettier, or try to add some actually thought-out gameplay suited for the map. Back in 2018 when I started this, I was playing Hellcore 2.0 (WAD from which I borrowed a couple of textures) and I remember thinking that it looked great, but the gameplay was really dull. So in the end I decided to put some more effort into the playable side of things, since I figured that would be what could make people want to come back after the first try.

I remember that there was one map that is based on that part of "DN:TTK", but there was a huge sewers system & that map required to use "FreeDoom2.wad", for some reason (there was one or two textures that isn't in "Doom2.wad").

You got me very curious there. What was the name of that map? And the city level from DN: TTK from which I based this has a huge sewers system, but I decided to instead make a shorter version of the subway and add the bank and warehouse areas, which in the game you eventually get access to after returning to the present once you have traveled to the past a couple of times.

16 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Modern city WAD with Blood and Duke3D assets/textures? Yes please!

Hey, I really appreciate you recording a gameplay of this. I also lol'ed at your reaction to the "timely reference" in the apartment with the dominatrix, hehe. I edited the thread's title to mention that jumping is allowed.

Edited by MrFroz

You know, I don't think you exactly backtracked out of the subway to reach the exit. All the same, this is a seriously tight map with resources, to the Extent I had to bust pout the chaingun to defeat the Cyberemond! I guess it's not so unlike the original map that way. The music was sure a trip down memory lane!

On 1/29/2023 at 10:53 AM, Clippy said:

Awesome map bud we had a blast!

Thanks for the vid Clippy!

On 1/30/2023 at 3:31 PM, LadyMistDragon said:

You know, I don't think you exactly backtracked out of the subway to reach the exit. All the same, this is a seriously tight map with resources, to the Extent I had to bust pout the chaingun to defeat the Cyberemond! I guess it's not so unlike the original map that way. The music was sure a trip down memory lane! 

Nope, in the original you go further into the subway through a sewers system. But I wanted to instead recreate other sections of the map like the bank and the warehouse, since I am usually not fond of sewer levels. And yeah, I always loved that drone-based track from the DN: TTK soundtrack.

Another really fun map - On nostalgia factor alone, this was fantastic. 

To a certain extent, I felt I was cheating because I knew the map layout already pretty much haha

Spoiler

I loved hearing some of the Duke Nukem one-liners. Also, the South Park references cracked me up!

On 2/4/2023 at 1:47 PM, mancubian_candidate said:

Another really fun map - On nostalgia factor alone, this was fantastic. 

To a certain extent, I felt I was cheating because I knew the map layout already pretty much haha

Yeah, I think that a lot of people who played the game probably didn't make it past the first level and hence that might be why its the most remembered one. DN: TTK had these tank controls and hitscan enemies, which made it very tough to master in order to beat it properly.

Better late than never! Here is my video.

Sadly the mod breaks the boss fight in the street so that sucks...but other than that this was a fun little map.