Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iddq_tea

DoomGPT: An AI-directed Doom II mapping project (v1.2)

On 5/23/2023 at 12:04 AM, particleicicle said:

Here's the first revision of my map. Let me know about any issues it may have. The ChatGPT responses are in a text file within the archive.

doom 2 map15 chatgpt.zip

I assume you forgot to delete the testing spawns, because there are voodoo dolls randomly scattered all over the level

2 hours ago, ONETAPPYBOI said:

I assume you forgot to delete the testing spawns, because there are voodoo dolls randomly scattered all over the level

Oh damn, that I did! Here's a fixed one without them.

MAP15 v2.zip

i think i might've put too much on my hands, i'm gonna have to leave the project. sorry for hoarding the spot with nothing to show for it. :(

Yeah i'm gonna have to leave too, I'm severely burnt out from mapping currently, sorry :(

Release candidate #1 for level 17 ("Tenements") is ready, but it's a little too big to attach here -- can I e-mail it to someone?

It's definitely more detailed than Doom II, but I don't think I went overboard; also, it may be a bit harder than it should be, and potentially a little bit too dark in spots.  On the plus side, I think I did do a pretty good job sticking to the AI description (even if that means the last secret is pretty worthless).  Finally, note that d1gfxd2.wad is required.

Sprinting to the finish with this one, but it should be done by June 1st. 

Since I'm running late, haven't had anyone playtest it yet... Hopefully someone can give it a quick go once I've posted it so I can make any last-minute fixes as necessary.

@OceanMadman I just got home after my 2-week "vacation" so it'll take me a bit of time to go through all the new submissions, but I think you're not the only one who still hasn't finished theirs, and since the deadline is 2 days away, we decided to extend it by a little bit. The thread will be updated with "finished" tags for submitted (and approved) maps and will contain the new deadline when I get things sorted out. So expect an update shortly!

(Oh wow, I was on the previous page, there's a lot more posts going on here...)

In that case, my previous post applies to everyone else too who wants to contribute but is unable to meet the original deadline. But if you still wish to leave the project, I won't hold you back, thank you for being here and I hope to see you guys playing this when it comes out (which is hopefully this summer)!

Another note: if you don't wish to upload your submission publicly, you can PM it to me or onetappyboi.

35 minutes ago, iddq_tea said:

@OceanMadman I just got home after my 2-week "vacation" so it'll take me a bit of time to go through all the new submissions, but I think you're not the only one who still hasn't finished theirs, and since the deadline is 2 days away, we decided to extend it by a little bit. The thread will be updated with "finished" tags for submitted (and approved) maps and will contain the new deadline when I get things sorted out. So expect an update shortly!

Thanks! I'll try to make a good map :)

17 hours ago, Lutz said:

Release candidate #1 for level 17 ("Tenements") is ready, but it's a little too big to attach here -- can I e-mail it to someone?

It's definitely more detailed than Doom II, but I don't think I went overboard; also, it may be a bit harder than it should be, and potentially a little bit too dark in spots.  On the plus side, I think I did do a pretty good job sticking to the AI description (even if that means the last secret is pretty worthless).  Finally, note that d1gfxd2.wad is required.

you can use drive.google.com, mega.nz or mediafire.com

Updates: the new deadline is July 1st, check the first post for more information.

Map slots 5 and 25 have freed up. Maps 6 and 31 are unfinished but have partial progress made on them, let me know if you'd like to take over (see attachments below). If there is no interest, they will be scrapped and new maps will be made from scratch.

MAP06.zip

MAP31.zip

I think I've caught up with everyone's submissions, but if you have submitted yours and don't see a (finished) tag on the original post, let me know!

Playtesting all new submissions in the following days.

Testing all current submissions because some have been updated since I last played them, or haven't been fixed since my last playthrough of them. If you don't get pinged about your map, that means I already playtested it before and I have nothing new to add - meaning your map is fit for the project!

@Spectre Solid map, short but challenging, I completed it in just under 20 minutes. The only suggestion I have is turning platforms with hitscanners in the final slaughter-y room into lifts so that the ammo can be picked up, but I never ran out of ammo while playing so it's not too big of a deal. The exit room is a nice throwback to the original map :)

@Kami I think you're going to love my review: found the BFG secret completely unexpectedly, I thought the computers weren't interactive since you could climb over them (I recommend making the lines impassable). One of the computer panels is facing the wrong way in the center-right room with the cacos and revs. If it happens to be the one rotation that vanilla Doom II is missing, feel free to use the resource pack linked in the original thread!

Now, I discovered a softlock here while looking for secrets:

Spoiler

image.png.393653e6d1a979e57d93a950cdad93a0.png

This corner is inescapable, either make it less than 32x32 units wide or make the gaps between the walls and the platform wider so that the player can exit if they fall in.

Due to the central crusher, the archvile created a ghost pinky, and I'm on fast monsters with 2% health... crap! :D

Then the pinky pulled 200 IQ play on me: when I discovered this map had a cyberdemon, I thought that was my only chance of killing the pinky, but the room got hectic fast and I lost sight of the pinky, so I assumed it was dead. But no... it ran out of the map and into the void, disappearing for a few minutes. After I had killed the cyberdemon and his minions, I realized I had one kill left. That's when the pinky came back. I recommend adding a rocket launcher!

@spineapple tea This little sewer section in the north-west has a hall of mirrors on the walls for some reason (there are no missing textures, must be due to the skybox?). Other than that, it's all good!

image.png.9f37446b17d110681046a77557dca76d.png

That was all the time I had for now, I will continue later!

54 minutes ago, iddq_tea said:

Testing all current submissions because some have been updated since I last played them, or haven't been fixed since my last playthrough of them. If you don't get pinged about your map, that means I already playtested it before and I have nothing new to add - meaning your map is fit for the project!

@Spectre Solid map, short but challenging, I completed it in just under 20 minutes. The only suggestion I have is turning platforms with hitscanners in the final slaughter-y room into lifts so that the ammo can be picked up, but I never ran out of ammo while playing so it's not too big of a deal. The exit room is a nice throwback to the original map :)

@Kami I think you're going to love my review: found the BFG secret completely unexpectedly, I thought the computers weren't interactive since you could climb over them (I recommend making the lines impassable). One of the computer panels is facing the wrong way in the center-right room with the cacos and revs. If it happens to be the one rotation that vanilla Doom II is missing, feel free to use the resource pack linked in the original thread!

Reveal hidden contents

This corner is inescapable, either make it less than 32x32 units wide or make the gaps between the walls and the platform wider so that the player can exit if they fall in.

Due to the central crusher, the archvile created a ghost pinky, and I'm on fast monsters with 2% health... crap! :D

Then the pinky pulled 200 IQ play on me: when I discovered this map had a cyberdemon, I thought that was my only chance of killing the pinky, but the room got hectic fast and I lost sight of the pinky, so I assumed it was dead. But no... it ran out of the map and into the void, disappearing for a few minutes. After I had killed the cyberdemon and his minions, I realized I had one kill left. That's when the pinky came back. I recommend adding a rocket launcher!

@spineapple tea This little sewer section in the north-west has a hall of mirrors on the walls for some reason (there are no missing textures, must be due to the skybox?). Other than that, it's all good!

I assume it's due to the fact that the sky sector is at 0 height, in software this will cause HOM so you need it to be at least 1 unit tall

2 hours ago, iddq_tea said:

Thanks! :D

Funny you mention being able to lower the hitscanner platforms in the final arena, as my HMP tester was disappointed that he couldn't grab the ammo. I should have probably taken the hint, lol.

Here's an updated version that allows those lifts to be lowered: https://files.spectere.net/doom/DoomGPT/DoomGPT-MAP20-20230530.1036.zip

@ONETAPPYBOI nope, the ceiling is part of the sky, there's a fake 3D wall that the player can't see the top of so it looks like it's flat on the surface and there's a tunnel going through it. The walls of that tunnel (all but the back one) aren't rendering properly, not sure why... I'll let the original creator take a look and fix it. Happens on both software and OpenGL.

3 hours ago, iddq_tea said:

I couldn't see a HOM on both Eternity and Prboom+, but I did adjust the height of the sky north of it. Maybe that's what you're talking about? If not, could you post a screenshot of the HOM you're talking about?

Download V2 (some other slight cosmetic changes here and there)

@spineapple tea I found the culprit, I should've realized it sooner: UDB. For some reason, when I test maps through UDB, there are often visual bugs, regardless of sourceport (a 3D bridge in Alien Vendetta broke on Crispy Doom once and it took me so long to realize it was UDB's fault, not the sourceport's). I have no clue why this happens since UDB launches a sourceport of my choice and I can see and modify the launch parameters... but oh well, your map's all good then!

@spineapple tea / @iddq_tea -- I had the same issue with ASHWALL2 while testing my level; I changed all those textures to ASHWALL and went from there.  I don't know if that's related to the fact that I was also loading d1tod2gfx.wad (or the order in which I was loading the various extra .WAD files), but this looks like a similar issue

If there is time can I take bloodfalls.

I would need someone to generate the instructions.

10 hours ago, iddq_tea said:

Hide contents

oh my gosh thats pretty hilarious, ill add a rocket launcher under the archvile or maybe in the outdoor secret. and ill take care of those other 2 little things as well :D and ill move up that wall so you cant get back there, how did you get back there? where you able to walk up the rocks? and do you think i followed chatGPTs directions?

@Raith138 The new deadline is July 1st, so yes there is still time but it all depends on your mapping speed :) I'll PM you the descriptions.

@Kami I'll have a more in-depth look into that later, for now I'm testing for bugs and softlocks and overall playability. As for how I got up there - I jumped onto the rock platform from the bridge.

@Norb I'm actually curious whether you have generated MAP25's descriptions or not - if you haven't, I'll make new ones, otherwise I'll reuse yours.

More DoomGPT shenanigans!

@particleicicle I got two imps stuck in an infighting loop. They were just far enough from one another to fling projectiles but close enough to occasionally get a scratch in, so they were both angry but unable to harm one another.

Spoiler

image.png.29599109a53a9a688189c35851756294.png

image.png.45263921b2cc13c7bf70cf5d8c7a071f.pngimage.png.e2fcaf561de926d4bf24e410f212a484.png

One problem I ran into is the lack of health pickups, aside from the bonuses and occasional soulspheres. As soon as I get past the blue door, suddenly medikits and stimpacks cease to exist.

There's a section full of hitscanners that's inaccessible, and I got dangerously low on ammo in the exit room battle. That reminds me, the player gets a rocket launcher but rockets also stop appearing past a certain point, would've been nice to have them in the exit room battle where there were tons of mancubi spawning in.

image.png.c472f1839873af6607fb4e4387382400.png

Also, this guy... I was wondering where the last kill was! How did this happen?

image.png.4f2ff1c7740cbfc8e8d7519811238d7e.png (x: -4512, y: 2184)

I also think that the secret exit should be marked as a secret.

Hopefully the final update to MAP01: the other day while trying to fix the HOM in the outside area, I noticed the linedefs around the cacodemons weren't sound blocking and shooting before entering the room when the door was open would ruin the ambush.

Download V3

[P.S. let me know if that download doesn't work, I'm trying a different way of uploading it through Discord and posting the link to the attachment so that it doesn't take up storage on Doomworld.]