Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s4f3s3x

[VANILLA L/R] "Salirò" (v1.0)

Hi! : ) This is the first level that I feel like sharing, it's called "Salirò" ("I Will Go Up") and it's a limit-removing Map01 replacement for Doom 2.

Here's some info:

• Difficulty settings are currently not implemented. I would rate this map medium with some hard spikes - hard as in: screwball & idiotic, as in: have a good laugh. Don't take it as a meme-map, though.
  • The level is supposed to run in every source port available, and I personally tested it with: Woof! 10.5.1 (recommended), Crispy Doom 5.4, DSDA-Doom v0.25.6, Eternity Engine 4.3.0 (devbuild), GZDoom 4.10.0.
  • No co-op (but I guess it would probably make a cool DM map? I have no idea, I've never played any kind of multiplayer Doom, if you want to give it a try, let me know how it feels!).
  • The level was not designed with jumping/crouching/freelook in mind. But if you like to play like that, go ahead, nothing is going to break.
  • No bugs found as of now;  I'm aware of some slime trails that I really couldn't figure out how to get rid of, and also probably some misaligned texture in obscure spots that I'm going to fix later.
  • Custom graphics include: The Plutonia Experiment Map01 skybox and a new TITLEPIC and INTERPIC.
  • Custom music include: MIDI rendition of Daniele Silvestri's "Salirò" by unknown.

Screenshots:

woof0001.png.fe85d1cabf7e30f21a7c7d3f45526717.png

woof0004.png.34baac071395eb514920d3fa5e96c27b.png

woof0005.png.0620cfb906519cea343d62cb61e9e322.png

woof0006.png.6913e373dfea25ad8d3ffc890da79062.png

woof0007.png.64e909a3ee859272b2e2a2c743471339.png

Well, other that that... I hope you have fun playing this tiny work! I sure did while making it and I hope I'll be able to do more in the future 'cause there's still so much that I need to learn about mapping (well basically most of it :' ) ). Meanwhile, I'm thrilled to receive your feedbacks about gameplay so I can do some changes accordingly, if needed.

DOWNLOAD (v1.0)

Edited by s4f3s3x

I really dig the abstract style of the map! Looks really good for a first time mapper as well!

Spoiler

Ok, non mi sarei mai aspettato di trovare una canzone di Daniele Silvestri usata in una mappa di Doom, magari "Quelli che Benpensano" di Frankie High NRG MC, ma chi sono io per giudicare? Cioè, ho usato Caparezza e Baglioni come tracce in 2 mod, quindi... Comunque la scelta mi intriga...

@Walter confetti Thank you very much!

Spoiler

Ahahahah, si, effettivamente è una scelta inusuale! Inizialmente volevo metterci qualcosa tipo Profondo Rosso, che ci sta a pennello in Doom... forse anche troppo : D così scorrendo su un sito a caso fra i MIDI gratis da scaricare ho trovato Salirò e mi sono illuminato. Poi ho inserito la traccia nella mappa allo stadio iniziale per vedere che feeling desse; il layout era pressochè lo stesso del definitivo ma un pò più ristretto, c'era già l'uscita libera a gradoni e pochissimi nemici (un ArchVile, un Revenant e un Pinky): fondamentalmente mi sono ritrovato a correre in tondo come un idiota evitando di essere obliterato o spedito nella stratosfera dall'AV e cercando allo stesso tempo di fare platforming per uscire dalla mappa e tutto questo con "salirò, salirò..." che metteva hype in sottofondo. Allora ho deciso di mandarla in vacca e lasciarla ma l'effetto complessivo era troppo esilarante!

Poi il livello si è ampliato e forse questo effetto si è un pò perso...

So demo'd it....I think there should be 4 times the BFG ammo for the final fight because rockets do get tedious in numbers as large as these. Otherwise, I have no serious complaints. It was interesting to figure out where the monsters all were and the void we spent all our time was quite ominous.

lmd_saliro.zip

@LadyMistDragon Wow, thanks for the demo!! I'm gonna check it out immediately, it's very exciting : ) 

Also I appreciate your feedback and I actually agree about the RL game at the end being a little boring as it is. I didn't want to give too much BFG shots in the beginning in order to avoid the initial clean-up to be too easy, but then I realized what you said as well and 

Spoiler

stashed some more into a secret area.

Even like that though, when I tested it, I still had the same impression. I'm going to fix this in the next update : )

EDIT.: what's the void you're referring to?

What a fun little map that reminds me of Benjogami and dobu's weird little vignettes. Here's a couple more demos c:
xyzfda.zip

The Deus Vult-esque invulnerability-induced slamfest is cool to see return! The rocket gameplay is fine, and there doesn't need to be more BFG ammo, secret stash or not. What I do think needs to be replaced though is the computer area map; make it a blursphere and have players decide when to use it in all that mess, haha. Once the invuln wears off, you're left to just find the one corner of the map that isn't constantly being sprayed by bullets and camp there, which I did in the second demo, leading to what I find to be a boring RNG war of attrition.

Besides catering to more aggressive gameplay (which is what the opening fight and invulnerability-induced slamfest established to me), another way a partial invisibility rather than a computer map would benefit the map imo is to make the secret berserk less actually vital to survive the ending hitscan onslaught. I don't know how one would reasonably deal with it otherwise, especially with the potential to rocket yourself on monsters spawning in your face.

The computer map made it too easy to find the secret extra BFG ammo (which I didn't look at the automap to find until the map was over, basically). The existence of it felt like the map was hinging on you finding that secret to justify its difficulty which was a bad feeling. Your map is small enough that it isn't needed; just make the neat automap doodles initially visible.

One more thing, perhaps make the trigger for the mass warp-in closer to the rocket launcher? In my first demo, I had the imps and stuff teleport in when I was just looking at my surroundings after leaving the third "6".

Other than those, we have a nice cataclysmic crater with a cool and unusual, artsy offshoot. Great first impression, I wish there were more maps like it!

Another thing that was brought to my attention, all of the monster closets in the map have too much space behind the lines they use to teleport in. This could lead to situations where a monster takes forever to warp in because its spawn point was blocked, causing the teleport to fail and make it wander in the space past the trigger line. It could be worse when there are multiple monsters in one closet; things like the mock-up GIF below could happen:

LIjV5Fq.gif

Edited by Xyzzy01