Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
philcul

Rarely talked about Doom things you like

I feel like people dont give credit adrian carmack for the work he did it in the games, His sprites are surprising detailed for a game 1993.

I always liked the sky textures in the classic Doom games and how they helped with the visual storytelling aspect of the games

word on the original post about challenge map aesthetics. My thinking is that a big part of the look of slaughter post Sunder inherits this 'austere, serious business' layouting and texturing that to me screams of Unreal Tournament / Quake Arena style of gargantuan imposing design with clear pathways for player action and partitioning of arenas. On top of that aesthetic that was current when people exploded the art direction of slaughter maps / challenge maps we re-inherit the essential doomcute cubyness and lower resolution textures and chunky perfect Doom enemy sprites etc. So the end marriage is by necessity cartoonized and softened in relation to a humongous Q3 arena, but the austere feeling of the spaces being there strictly for movement challenge and arena combat remains, making these maps inhospitable by the essence that they are not there to live in, they are there to kill and die in. Lack of secrets often underlines the point.

In a Q3 arena your 3dfx voodoo card or whatever would have all these coloured soft lights and shit, but in doom all we get is the impossible beauty of 'in the distance, just make it darker until it's pure black' renderer that in no way resembles the Q3/UT heritage, where you can see high distances to snipe high distances. Here you are enveloped in darkness and solitude by renderer default.

Slaughter is a strange term with disastrous discourse implications as we've seen thread after thread. But it is also a beautiful term for these things even if they're more challenge maps because these spaces are there for slaughter. You will slaughter many, you will be slaughtered. These are killing fields. And then if you make them beautiful killing fields they have inherently a dark poetry to them.

People that can't play them because of skill issues look at their imposing distance with awe and I understand why they do not want to go into the ITYTD killing fields, questioning the masochistic experience they are by default to miss.

I often feel like coop is overlook if compared against deathmatch or single player. Doom is one of my favorite coop games, I like the feeling of exploring the maps with people and sharing the resources among the group.

Skybox. Even the vannila doom q skyboxes look cool e1 from doom and the space skybox from tnt evolution are my favourites. I think skybox helps to set any feeling that can change the gameplay 

Definitely agree about sky textures, the right one can really tie the environment together, and a different one that still fits can totally alter the mood of a level.

I like it when the demons.

Also I like the orange sky texture, and the grey sky with the rocks, and the cityscape sky. 

I like it very much when Aubrey Hodges does his thang.

13 hours ago, Somniac said:

Definitely agree about sky textures, the right one can really tie the environment together, and a different one that still fits can totally alter the mood of a level.

And I thought I was the only one who thought like that