Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

[MBF21] What Lies Beneath - 11 maps episode from some of the Hellevator/Skulltiverse/Solar Struggle contributors (Official Idgame release)

Finally got around to playing this! I thought I'd wrap it up over several sittings but I got so hooked that I beat the whole thing in one go. This, hands down, is one of the best visual storytelling experiences in Doom. Everything's so coherent and well made, and the little details and easter eggs only enhance the experience. Impossible to pick the best map here, they are all winners in my book.

Also, big shoutout to an actually easy LordEntropy map for a change :p

Hopefully, we'll see more projects from you guys next year! This was sublime, one of the best Doom 2 episodes I've ever played, period.

I know it's been quite a while now that this pack has been released but I just finished playing it and I liked it a lot. Great visuals, great fights, everything. Nice work from everyone who worked on this project.

1 minute ago, shroomie said:

MAP11, i ran up the steps here to press the swich, and now i'm stuck

Ah yes, Shawny's weird dual switches. You need to both shoot and use it. It's supposed to teach you this duality for later.

8 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Ah yes, Shawny's weird dual switches. You need to both shoot and use it. It's supposed to teach you this duality for later.

huh, i've seen shoot switches and i've seen 'use' switches, i have never seen both, thank you!

I am just waiting until somebody more popular do something like this and be praised for how creative and innovative they are.
I mean, I already have one obscure gimmick in mind that is mimicked into oblivion these days.
I am sorry for sounding salty and annoyed, I am at this point. Even starting to wish I have never took that map slot, honestly.

At the end of the day it is my bad for experimenting with/doing weird stuff.
Anyways, I know I should have not posted this, but I feel like I REALLY want/need to get this off my chest.
Moving on now...

hey man, i'm still playing the map and i'm impressed just by how ambitious it is, i kinda adore the way it feels like a real extra-dimensional vampire castle, like it looks really good! the enemy placement is very good too, don't feel bad.

2 hours ago, Shawny said:

I am just waiting until somebody more popular do something like this and be praised for how creative and innovative they are.
I mean, I already have one obscure gimmick in mind that is mimicked into oblivion these days.
I am sorry for sounding salty and annoyed, I am at this point. Even starting to wish I have never took that map slot, honestly.

At the end of the day it is my bad for experimenting with/doing weird stuff.
Anyways, I know I should have not posted this, but I feel like I REALLY want/need to get this off my chest.
Moving on now...

People do like experimentation and innovation, and I hope you won't take this the wrong way, because I'm a fan of your work, but sometimes things just don't work out. Your takeaway from this could be 1) "I had fun experimenting, but maybe this one just didn't work, and now I learned something" or 2) "I think there's still merit here, but my implementation could have been better" or 3) "People really liked my map but didn't like this one thing, which is too bad, because I like it and I'm already on to the next thing." Any of those is perfectly healthy. But it feels kinda unfair to be mad at someone for complaining when they didn't even complain.

i am 30 minutes in. i just got the blue key. this is so fucking long. still fun though! i will go disintegrate now

Since I have put that post together rather hastily yesterday before sleep I need to clear some things now.

I can be a cynical and jaded person sometimes, but I believe in what I have said yesterday.
There would be more to unpack there, but that is not important, just keep in mind
stuff like that contributed to my response. I am not sorry about that at all.
However...

I genuinely feels bad for @shroomie and I do want to apologize. I should have made this clear in the original post.
The frustration had been pilling for a long time and I should have dealt with it months ago.
The issue is that I have never did and so I leashed out after the last time that section
was mentioned, and it have been mentioned quite a lot, which indicates that the problem is the design
of that section rather than players who get stuck there.

The post that broke the camel´s back so to speak could have been posted by anybody.

So I want to make sure that it is 100% clear that I am not blaming you or everyone else
(even though my brain wants to) for what is essentially a poorly explained mechanic/gimmick.
At the end of the day if I decided to do something "new/different"
I should have made sure I also have the necessary skills to communicate the idea to the player clearly.

That is that. I should probably stop before I annoy moderation stuff too much.

hey man it's no problem, have a good day! i looked at the doom wiki page for your stuff and pina colada looks fun, and it's a cacoawards winner, so i'll get to it once i'm done with the rest of my doom backlog.

I don't know if this is just a problem on my end, but the MIDI for MAP01 sounds really off when using Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. (Lots of cutoffs)

Should I just stick to FluidSynth for this one?

4 hours ago, Scorcher said:

I don't know if this is just a problem on my end, but the MIDI for MAP01 sounds really off when using Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. (Lots of cutoffs)

Should I just stick to FluidSynth for this one?

The MIDIs aren't bespoke in any way, so any problem one has has no bearing on others. But I also don't know anything about MIDI players in general.

Loved playing the entire WAD, but Map 01 especially hooked me. I wonder if there are megawads who share same atmosphere and aesthetics, not taking Wormwood into account 

the screenshots in the op dont display properly on my end

5 minutes ago, TMMMS said:

the screenshots in the op dont display properly on my end

I guess OP has deleted images at some point in order to preserve available memory

They used to be hosted on Discord, until Discord decided it doesn't want to be an image host.

Maybe one day I'll recover them and upload elsewhere.