Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheIconOfSinsicle

Door glitch

In UDB, I made a level that recuired a red keydoor to go to a switch which beats the level, but the door, however, causes the entire room to implode on itself. (Screenshot linked.

Screenshot_Doom_20230715_132404.png

That's not enough information, so all I can do is guess. Is it the entire ceiling coming down to the ground? That might be the case if you have a switch which performs a door type action, but left the tag at zero.

Just now, Stabbey said:

That's not enough information, so all I can do is guess. Is it the entire ceiling coming down to the ground? That might be the case if you have a switch which performs a door type action, but left the tag at zero.

That is the case, actually. Sorry for not giving that much info, but thanks for the tip!

16 minutes ago, Silhouette 03 said:

Would you please mind linking the map? It makes it easier for others to help you :) 

Yeah. The thing is VERY incomplete,doomceres.zip and it will have more maps than that one, but its either doom 2 levels or an error, for the levels past MAP01

Just now, TheIconOfSinsicle said:

Yeah. The thing is VERY incomplete,doomceres.zip and it will have more maps than that one, but its either doom 2 levels or an error, for the levels past MAP01

It also has a problem with another keydoor at the beginning of the level.

2 minutes ago, TheIconOfSinsicle said:

wait thats the wrong version lol, i tried to put a switch, but it didnt work. altceres.zip 

6 hours ago, ChippiHeppu said:

The problem is that the door is just a single impassable linedef with a middle texture. This won't work. I suggest that you watch this tutorial on YouTube.

The map you uploaded is a modified Doom 2 IWAD. Editing IWADs is a very bad idea and should never be done. You should save your map as a PWAD instead.

Ah, if that's the case, then the OP should probably skim through the basic level editing tutorials on this forum. They're very helpful to very new mappers.

To the OP, PWAD is a Doom term for Patch Wad. It still ends in a .WAD extension, but unlike an IWAD, it contains only the things the author has changed - such as maps, new textures, new music, replacement sounds. This is not only going to be much smaller than replicating an entire IWAD, but it's also legal - distributing an IWAD is not.

On 7/15/2023 at 9:29 PM, Stabbey said:

Ah, if that's the case, then the OP should probably skim through the basic level editing tutorials on this forum. They're very helpful to very new mappers.

To the OP, PWAD is a Doom term for Patch Wad. It still ends in a .WAD extension, but unlike an IWAD, it contains only the things the author has changed - such as maps, new textures, new music, replacement sounds. This is not only going to be much smaller than replicating an entire IWAD, but it's also legal - distributing an IWAD is not.

I have actually tried going from a new wad from scratch, but still needed the monsters, and the textures, Didn't know that it would be illegal. Maybe I will just go off of Freedoom or something.

Yeah, most people has the doom 1 or 2 or both, so dont slow down yourself. Or how do you expect people play the milions of already released doom pwads? With freedoom?

On 7/29/2023 at 10:46 PM, TheIconOfSinsicle said:

I have actually tried going from a new wad from scratch, but still needed the monsters, and the textures, Didn't know that it would be illegal. Maybe I will just go off of Freedoom or something.

You should delete the links to your map in your posts above since they contain maps

from the original DOOM2.WAD, which is indeed illegal. I hope that you had made at

least 3 backup copies of the DOOM2.WAD, and stored in a safe place on your computer,

a cd/dvd or a usb stick.

For the linked files, you made MAP01 as an original map, edited, to some extent,  MAP02

and MAP03, and made several original maps unreadable (MAP05, MAP09, etc).

9VnybvV.png

image source: Deepsea editor

If that was your only copy of the IWAD (DOOM2.WAD) then you may have to resort

to FreeDOOM indeed or purchase the game again.

It appears that you have not yet understood how the process of editing/making a new

map for DOOM2 works. Your should watch these videos. <----

As mentioned in above posts, a new map is made as a PWAD and as such, monsters

and textures are used from the configured IWAD resource and need not to be imported.

All you need to do is to construct the new map layout and save the PWAD.

Edited by Kappes Buur : screenshot

So the basic principle is this:

1: obtain and install a copy of Doom or Doom2 (Steam etc.). You will NOT NEED to modify AT ALL the doom2.wad file.

- This so-called 'IWAD' contains all base information about the game - textures, flats, monsters, weapons etc. (this is all proprietary copyrighted material, which is why distributing is not legal)

- this file should NEVER be modified.

2: obtain a map editor (UDB, Eureka, Slade etc.)

3: Set up the editor so it knows where the IWAD is.

- This is so the editor knows about all of the things needed for custom maps (tex, flats, monsters etc.)

4: in the editor, create a NEW MAP.

5: you are asked to choose a 'game configuration' (doom, zdoom, heretic or whatever is set up). The point is that this chooses an IWAD from which all the base data for textures, monsters etc. are taken.

6: this will create a new file into which your map will be saved. This is the so-called PWAD (or PATCH WAD). This file contains all of your custom map data - linedefs, monster positions etc. All of your map texture, monster, things, flats etc. information are REFERENCES to the actual data in the IWAD.  This is of course why if you run a heretic pwad in doom2, you get odd behaviour (missing textures, missing monsters etc). 

And to play your PWAD, you need to run the base game and include the PWAD as well (GZDoom is easy as you can drag and drop your pwad onto the desktop icon).

If you left level 1 as the pwad map number, it will be the first map to load. Otherwise, it will be in the map slot you specified, so you will need to load the relevant map slot in-game.

Also, you mentioned freedoom - if you create a pwad for Doom 1, you can use freedoom phase 1 and it'll work just fine (with different textures and things). Likewise, doom2 pwads will run just fine with FD phase 2.

You are free of course to distribute your PWAD, as it doesn't contain any of the actual data from the Doom2 IWAD. You just need to specify which IWAD you made it for, so other people know which base game to use (look at the readmes with each  the IDGames download- you will see a base game specified for each one).

Edited by smeghammer