• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InTraining

The Imp Zone Game Club Community Pack [25-maps, cl2]

WELCOME to the IMP ZONE GAME CLUB COMMUNITY PACK

titlepic.png.3a6d58e370049c4ecba1a31e2fa13440.png

>>>DOWNLOAD HERE<<<

The Something Awful video game sub-subforum IMP ZONE (no relation to the 1994 WAD (or is there?!?)) hosts a regular Game Club every month. In October 2023, I ran a community project for a big group of first-time mappers to flex their designing muscles and put together some DOOM levels.

This community pack is the result - all levels here were made in just 3 weeks in October 2023, and most entries were by total newcomers (myself excluded). Some participants had never even played Doom before! The creativity on display is quite remarkable, especially considering the time restraint and lack of practice.

This pack includes 25 levels by 17 authors. They run the gamut of modes and genres: vanilla action, puzzle maps, a weirdly high amount of specific video game parodies, slaughter, huge adventures, tower climbs, hubs & spokes, and more misaligned textures than you can shake a boomstick at. It is a fun peek into the mind of freshly-minted mappers with no inhibitions. 

I hope you all enjoy this collection of rough and wild maps. All 25 levels were tested in cl2 - there are a variety of visual bugs I need to clean up for the authors, but please share any issues you stumble on. I'd like to drop this on the idgames archive when all the bugs are quashed!

Additional Credits: Sub-Actuality for running the Imp Zone Game Club week in and week out. The Kins for making our TITLEPIC. P-Mack for providing the INTERPIC. All the Gamers who rose up and made their voices heard in this excellent pack. Everybody around the globe who upkeep MIDI libraries.

Screenshots from selected levels included below!

Spoiler

MAP03 - BONE ZONE by CUBONE

MAP03.png.8cf611cbd189ee19b709cfc3cf60404e.png

MAP08 - KEPT YA WAITING by TARRANON

MAP08.png.98b3593459c3bd1a90e4d38d16e1c4e3.png

MAP18 - CRATES AND BARRELS by PLEBIAN PARASITE

MAP18.png.0e586ed57fdc6b8af91fc227658dcc67.png

MAP19 - ALTAR OF SKULLS by KONGMING

MAP19.png.81e7a135df1a6d25e9961accece203d4.png

MAP23 - SOMETIMES BE GAME OVER by SUB-ACTUALITY

MAP23.png.8334ebfa633c85e7f32e18a5926d5ef7.png

MAP32 - TWENTY NINE SEVENTY by EVIL EAGLE

MAP32.png.4218cd53c1fd3a4d08583b814de3f261.png

Full level list & MIDI list included here.

Spoiler

MAP01 - Impo's Domain by French Accent, "Brinstar (The Jungle Floor)" from Super Metroid 
MAP02 - Fresh Hell by hamsauce666, "Spirit Crusher" by Death
MAP03 - Bone Zone by Cubone, "Smooth Operator" by Sade
MAP04 - Server Room by Jenny Agutter, "Paranoid Android" by Radiohead
MAP05 - DOOM-MAKU by mycophobia, "Bulls on Parade" by Rage Against the Machine
MAP06 - Shotgun Zone by Ditocoaf, "Confrontation" from Soul Calibur II
MAP07 - Blood Eagle Tower by Evil Eagle, "Mountain Zone" from Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim
MAP08 - Kept Ya Waiting by Tarranon, "Theme of Solid Snake" from Metal Gear 2
MAP09 - Engorged by In Training, "Opus 13" from Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
MAP10 - John Romero's Punch-Out!! by Evil Eagle, "Fight Theme" from Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
MAP11 - The Beast Pens by Kongming, "The Demon's Dead" from DOOMII
MAP12 - Circle Trigonism by P-Mack, "Give a Reason" by Megumi Hayashibara
MAP13 - Back Alley Brawl by Kongming, "Ken's Theme" from Street Fighter II
MAP14 - Running of the Pinkies by Arch Nemesis, "Toreador II" by Apocalyptica
MAP15 - Sleepwalker by Symbolic, "99 Ways to Die" by Megadeth
MAP16 - It's Pinky by Leadthumb, "Blood of the Zodiac" by Machinehead
MAP17 - Plasmodrome by In Training, "J-E-N-O-V-A" from Final Fantasy VII
MAP18 - Crates and Barrels by Plebian Parasite, "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits
MAP19 - Altar of Skulls by Kongming, "Sign of Evil" from DOOM
MAP20 - Project Meteor by P-Mack, "Pochi's Theme" from Legacy of the Wizard
MAP21 - Deja Vu by rodbeard, "Running from Evil" from DOOMII
MAP22 - Burnout Blast by In Training, "Close Quarters" from Runescape
MAP23 - Sometimes Be Game Over by Sub-Actuality, "Hallowed Be Thy Name" by Iron Maiden
MAP31 - Like a Demon by Plebian Parasite, "Pledge of Demon" from Yakuza Zero
MAP32 - Twenty Nine Seventy by Evil Eagle, "Big Bad Baby Bowser" from Yoshi's Island

RC1 Changelog

Spoiler

Included the proper TITLEPIC & BOSSBACK images
Dieting Hippo wrote a DeHacked patch to expand our source port compatibility!
MAP09 - Fixed AV sightline on box trap
MAP10 - Change teleport into Cybie arena from a WR to W1
MAP12 - Fixed two slime trails, fixed weird sky box on top of the blue key mountain, fixed a switch texture that was split in half and not lighting up properly
MAP13 - Properly tagged the 4th wall that was not opening for the final battle
MAP14 - Added more ammo to the final circle
MAP16 - Fixed possible softlock in the crusher hallway, completely changed how this level begins
MAP18 - Fixed broken final trap before exit
MAP19 - Added a new trap door to the room with revs and pinkies, changed MIDI
MAP22 - Finally fixed the broken blue key door to secret for real this time
MAP23 - Added a switch texture to the SHAWN wall in the techbase wing to make it clear to progress
MAP31 - Changed brightness in bowling room to fix clipping midtextures, fixed a mixing texture in the SSG room, added Exit markings to the exit

>>>DOWNLOAD HERE<<<

Edited by InTraining : Updated for RC1 release!

1 hour ago, InTraining said:

Sub-Actuality for [...] making our TITLEPIC

🤔

(sub-ac did do the logo tho)

12 hours ago, princetontiger said:

SA still exists?! Wow! Blast from the past... I'll give this a whirl...

The SA games forum is arguably the most chill such community on the internet, and it waa ahead of the curve on a lot of things. The first Let's Plays originated there, long before Twitch, and it's where I discovered Yakuza back in the PS3 era when it seemed like the series was dead overseas, and I picked up New Vegas and Revengeance based mainly on recommendations from other goons. Do we still call ourselves goons? It's the best of a bunch of stupid catchphrases imho.

More recently, 2023 Cacoward runner-up The Diseases, and Casualties the year being 1632 originated from the SA forums. So I have high hopes for this!

22 hours ago, Kinsie said:

🤔

(sub-ac did do the logo tho)

D'oh! I have learned first hand this project how had it is to keep track of revisions, notes, submissions, and all manner of details for community projects. I...I may have included the wrong TITLEPIC in the uploaded file completely. It will be fixed!

Additionally, the author of MAP20 informed me that he did in fact do a UV difficulty balance and tuned it down, while making HMP easier. Nice! I have removed that note from the OP. 

10 hours ago, Captain Walker said:

More recently, 2023 Cacoward runner-up The Diseases, and Casualties the year being 1632 originated from the SA forums. So I have high hopes for this!

TDAC1632 is awesome, great work from other SA posters. This is definitely of a different caliber and hope people enjoy the peek into random creative brains just as much!

Thoughts so far:

MAP03 was cute! Cubone had a very clear idea of their limits and focused on the map being fun to play ther than architecturally ambitious. Lots of wide open hallways, lots of detailed pillars, lots of zombies on the other side of those pillars ready to shoot you in the back as you run past, which was mildly irritating but in a fair, enjoyable way. Secrets were well thought out, located in just the kind of places I'd think to check. MAP04 has almost-Doomcute going on in the actual server room :3

Wasn't expecting MAP05 to be a bullet-hell out of nowhere! Suprised mycophobia had the restraint to pick a "normal" MIDI instead of Snow Halation or whatever. This level absolutely wrecks progression if you're doing continuous play, since you'll head into MAP06 with the plasma gun and approximately two thousand cells.

MAP07 was anything but simple. It doesn't even have mancubi or arachnotrons till near the end! Crazy. Keeping that massive lake of blood non-damaging is absolutely vital to a map this huge, and at least in the first half teleporting back is as simple as finding the spots of water in the blood; great visual consistency. Definitely too easy to fall off the tower itself, though, and if you leave an angry vile up there with enemy corpses your run's dead in the bloodwater.

As a huge Metal Gear nerd MAP08 is the one I have the most to say about, and also the one where I have be needlessly harsh to tarranon. Very solid (heh) opening as I ran through familiar areas that adapt with surprising ease to the 2.5D shooter format. The shotgun in the truck where you'd find the SOCOM pistol was a nice touch, the arachnotron felt beefy enough to replace the tank especially with limited rocket ammo, and Psycho Mantcubis definitely put on some weight ;)

After that the quality sadly dropped off like a tranq dart at 30 meters. The caves are dark and the music is loud; perfect place for spectres. The pain elemental right after felt very out of place, though. The chase up the comms tower was extremely underwhelming with only one guy every couple hallways, and the rooftop where you'd fight the Hind was even more blah. Only one revenant and two cacos? This far into a map this big, you gotta start throwing more at the player. The outdoor area marking the end of disc 1 had some potential with a few tough enemies, but also a BFG and multiple large ammo caches guarded by solo hell knights. One curiosity of design that I liked wass the the many little clusters of health potions/armor bonuses; perfect for patching up if you get winged by a stray bullet or fireball but can't be bothered to go back for a medkit.

The furnace area was just kind of weirdly adapted. One pinky on the ground, another on a ledge you never need to cross, a third just hanging out on the platform in the middle doing no harm to anybody. The Vulcan Baron area would have been a better spot for a chaingunner squad, or a few arachnotrons, or even an archvile. Something more suited to the arena, where breaking line of sight is way more important as with the original Raven boss batle. Metal Gear Arachno-Rex was about as memorable as any other spiderdemon fight where you have a BFG but that's not on the author. The ending was honestly pretty weak; it felt like tarranon didn't have confidence in the player's ability to win a final duel with Liquid-Fire Snake, hence the invulnerability powerup removing all stakes. Get rid of it and swap vile for baron and you've got a decently challenging last fight. It was nice to see the car but having the level end immediately after was a letdown. Realistic maps like this one really suffer from the limits not removed by complevel 2; silent teleporters between areas would have made a lot of difference, as would a proper jeep escape segment with floor and wall textures zooming by to provide the illusion of movement.

All in all a very good start, and head-and-shoulders above Duke3D Fallout, another boomer-shooter adaptation of one of my favorite game series. It's just the King with his pistol sprite replaced by a 10mm SMG, romping through maps that weren't designed to be seen up close and in fact feel kind of like dioramas for which Duke is too big to fit.

Decently nice diversity, though entirely lacking in refinement, you can at least appreciate the sense of humor with some of the monster/texture choices and even the limited attempts at Doomcute in Map 02. There were really few bad maps and it's safe to say that 08 was indeed, a highlight!

Thanks so much for posting a video! Gonna watch through it at work today. What port do you use by the way? Right off the bat I notice the MIDIs are playing really weirdly. Like assigned to the wrong maps and such. I only have a UMAPINFO lump currently, I may need to write more for more ports to get the sound functioning properly. 

Apologies for the very delayed update - had a variety of computer issues this month alongside the regular distractions...I've got a new download link in the OP for the RC1 version of IZGCCP.WAD! Full changelist provided here, the biggest upgrade is a new DeHacked patch courtesy of Dieting Hippo to expand our source port compatibility. 

>>>RC1 Download Here<<<

Changelist:

Included the proper TITLEPIC & BOSSBACK images
Dieting Hippo wrote a DeHacked patch to expand our source port compatibility!
MAP09 - Fixed AV sightline on box trap
MAP10 - Change teleport into Cybie arena from a WR to W1
MAP12 - Fixed two slime trails, fixed weird sky box on top of the blue key mountain, fixed a switch texture that was split in half and not lighting up properly
MAP13 - Properly tagged the 4th wall that was not opening for the final battle
MAP14 - Added more ammo to the final circle
MAP16 - Fixed possible softlock in the crusher hallway, completely chanegd how this level begins
MAP18 - Fixed broken final trap before exit
MAP19 - Added a new trap dorr to the room with revs and pinkies, changed MIDI
MAP22 - Finally fixed the broken blue key door to secret for real this time
MAP23 - Added a switch texture to the SHAWN wall in the techbase wing to make it clear to progress
MAP31 - Changed brightness in bowling room to fix clipping midtextures, fixed a mixing texture in the SSG room, added Exit markings to the exit

I'll leave this up for a few more weeks to see if there's any showstopping bugs left before sending it out to idgames. Thanks everybody who's downloaded so far!