Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aimshows

doom 2 mini wad pack "last night on earth"

Posted (edited)

hey guys. im making a doom map called "last night on earth"

its a short doom 2 map. i thought it would be fun to make a new map after not making one for a while.

i hope you guys enjoy :)

EDIT: people said that they have had problems with the textures. the map works fine on GZdoom so maybe its the port

sry for any inconveniences for people who play on other ports  

EDIT 2: it doesnt matter if you play on ITYTD or UV the experience will be the same. i intend for this to be a UV or nightmare mini wad that runs on GZdoom for DOOM2

please keep this in mind while you play i might make a mini wad pack that is meant for new doom players but for the moment its for people who wanna play UV or nightmare thanks 

image.png.ee033d6bc4acb319ca61ba05750f74e1.png2057542657_Screenshot2024-03-15160040.png.6646f22ec1219b42cdc9159b66d2c0a1.png1936271791_Screenshot2024-03-15160029.png.e463a5ab577a6c1eeef915f64bf438ca.png

371238720_Screenshot2024-03-14173432.png.03814c4818ed6e60c4223df076dd2d53.png

last night on earth.rar

i hope you guys enjoy and any feedback would be amazing 

Edited by aimshows : edit2

HOMs in the first room after the map starts and near the exit.

Spoiler

image.png.6709a082c99c575f13acc2da8da6bc11.png
image.png.5ef3a4b23b4ed16bf63b1b4c9ee58047.png

Also, not required but I would recommend it: please include literally any MIDI that isn't "Running from Evil" for the billionth time - it gets tiring hearing it over and over again - I think "Infinite" by Tom Mustaine from TNT would be a good fit. :P

god 

1 hour ago, Enzo Carozza said:

Hide contents

Also, not required but I would recommend it: please include literally any MIDI that isn't "Running from Evil" for the billionth time - it gets tiring hearing it over and over again - I think "Infinite" by Tom Mustaine from TNT would be a good fit. :P

holy crap. im sorry but i dont rly know how to fix that tbh. are u using GZdoom? cause that works fine for me

Really short but fun map!  The only thing I noticed while playing the map was some of the textures that are on the doors to secrets are misaligned.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, aimshows said:

god 

holy crap. im sorry but i dont rly know how to fix that tbh. are u using GZdoom? cause that works fine for me

Problem appears on prboom+ for instance, it's some midtextures missing from what I saw on slade.

1 hour ago, IamtheLaw said:

Really short but fun map!  The only thing I noticed while playing the map was some of the textures that are on the doors to secrets are misaligned.  

i made the secrets misaligned so people can spot it easy if they pay attention. 

are there anyways i can hide them better?

Posted (edited)

still th HOMs pb on prboom+

edit : didn't see you referred the problem on OP, sorry.

Edited by apichatpong

8 minutes ago, apichatpong said:

still th HOMs pb on prboom+

unfortunately i dont know how to use Slade or how to code on it. i tried coding in it a while ago and it didnt work out that well so i haven't touched Slade in ages  

You should probably put the title of the map in the topic title. "new doom map" is hardly descriptive on a forum entirely dedicated to doom maps.

As for your texture issue, that one sounds familiar. If you used any wall textures on the floor or ceiling - or textures which are flats on walls, that will cause problems with vanilla and boom-based ports. They won't recognize those and thus produce HOM effects (or Signal 11 crashes for the case of wall textures on the floor), even though GZDoom will render those correctly. There's some kind of check in the editor you can run to check for cases of textures or flats being used in the wrong cases.

4 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

You should probably put the title of the map in the topic title. "new doom map" is hardly descriptive on a forum entirely dedicated to doom maps.

As for your texture issue, that one sounds familiar. If you used any wall textures on the floor or ceiling - or textures which are flats on walls, that will cause problems with vanilla and boom-based ports. They won't recognize those and thus produce HOM effects (or Signal 11 crashes for the case of wall textures on the floor), even though GZDoom will render those correctly. There's some kind of check in the editor you can run to check for cases of textures or flats being used in the wrong cases.

how do i do those checks?

Very cute and compact map. Secret felt a bit pointless, but okay. Check out the vid below.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, aimshows said:

You tried to use this flat as a wall texture. You should use Stone2, which is similar to this flat. 

jlRkaLV.png

xfSrIxU.png

I don't know how you did it, you should have seen the smae thing I'm seeing, since the map is Boom Format. Flats and textures are different due to how Doom originally rendered them. Stabbey will probably write a better answer than mine, but here is a wiki link if you want to read that: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Flat_and_texture_mixing

Easiest way to prevent it is not to use flats on walls. Alternatively, map for a format that allows that, like UDMF, if you really want to use them on walls. Here is the number of flats and textures available in the Doom 2 WAD.

image.png.5d98ccac457926dc72ae0e0efd112960.pngimage.png.55c290ac554ab885ef0b750d3f65b7a5.png

20 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

You tried to use this flat as a wall texture. You should use Stone2, which is similar to this flat. 

jlRkaLV.png

xfSrIxU.png

I don't know how you did it, you should have seen the smae thing I'm seeing, since the map is Boom Format. Flats and textures are different due to how Doom originally rendered them. Stabbey will probably write a better answer than mine, but here is a wiki link if you want to read that: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Flat_and_texture_mixing

Easiest way to prevent it is not to use flats on walls. Alternatively, map for a format that allows that, like UDMF, if you really want to use them on walls. Here is the number of flats and textures available in the Doom 2 WAD.

image.png.5d98ccac457926dc72ae0e0efd112960.pngimage.png.55c290ac554ab885ef0b750d3f65b7a5.png

image.png.a7ef726a1459aac73d01c92040b145f0.png

this is the format is use GZDoom: Doom 2 (Doom format) and i've been using that for as long as i've been mapping

should i change that or something?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, aimshows said:

image.png.a7ef726a1459aac73d01c92040b145f0.png

this is the format is use GZDoom: Doom 2 (Doom format) and i've been using that for as long as i've been mapping

should i change that or something?

You don't need to change your format, just specify what it is when you post a WAD. You can change it if you want to reach a broader audience, though, because as you've seen in this post, GZDoom format will not work correctly in ports that are based on Boom (PrBoom+, DSDA, Woof, etc). Many people use these ports, and I think mapping for Boom or MBF21 should be where people begin their mapping journey, but that's just my opinion. My friend @The Royal We might have something to say about this specific subject we're talking about, flats as textures and all that. There are many things that you will learn mapping for these formats that will be invaluable later on in your mapping endeavors. I have a thread where I talk about these differences, mainly because Maribo helped me write that section, but it may be useful overall to you to have a read.

Edited by DoomGappy

49 minutes ago, aimshows said:

if you're using that format your map is probably not going to be playable in classic ports, so just say that your map is gzdoom only in advance.

If gzdoom's features are not important to you (the map looks like it could easily be vanilla compatible but I don't know) I'd suggest to use Boom, most ports people use have boom support, more than only gzdoom, and it has some nice features that Doom2 doesn't have. Or Doom2 if you want to be as classic as possible and work within its restrictions. You don't have to though, the choice is yours

Posted (edited)

I forgot because it was a couple of years ago, but I think Mode > Map Analysis Mode > "Check Unknown Flats" / "Check Unknown Textures."

I got caught on the same issue as well. It's easy when texturing in visual mode to copy and paste and the cursor is over the wrong surface. GZDoom format has some added stuff. Any line action over 141 is not vanilla compatible, and the same goes for any sector effects above 17. If you aren't specifically using those, it's easier to make your map compatible with other source ports.

Beat this level as pacifist, stupid chaingunner ended most the runs. One time, I used the cacodemon to fight him, HE KILLED THE CACODEMON. A CHAINGUNNER. Luckily, I got a much better run. Ya'll should try pacifist on this map, it's a good mix of strategy and execution. With, of course, a little luck. Onto nightmare.

That was so hard. Play Nightmare after beating this if you beat in on Ultra Violence, because THIS. Is crazy.

Pretty decent map. Start on UV was a challenge, but I enjoyed it. Level design is simple, but for all intents and purposes it works fine and can be fleshed out later.

Looking forward to more :)

25 minutes ago, Zesiir said:

Pretty decent map. Start on UV was a challenge, but I enjoyed it. Level design is simple, but for all intents and purposes it works fine and can be fleshed out later.

Looking forward to more :)

Try Nightmare, good challenge.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ᒐack102 said:

That was so hard. Play Nightmare after beating this if you beat in on Ultra Violence, because THIS. Is crazy.

thanks it was meant for UV tbh but i think nightmare is a great challenge.

im thinking for my next map i make it a nightmare map if thats what you guys want

Edited by aimshows

thanks it was meant for UV tbh but i think nightmare is a great challenge 

Seriously, you should keep making maps, this ones good, aside from the most unnecesary secret in the world. Maybe try kind of a three map WAD for Doom 2? Or maybe six, I bet it would be fun.

12 hours ago, ᒐack102 said:

Seriously, you should keep making maps, this ones good, aside from the most unnecesary secret in the world. Maybe try kind of a three map WAD for Doom 2? Or maybe six, I bet it would be fun.

most likely gonna turn this into a mini map pack wad. i've been thinking about it for a little bit so i might do it

hey guys made a new post 

its the same as this one but newer updates will be posted here 

On 3/15/2024 at 2:12 AM, Enzo Carozza said:

Reveal hidden contents

It's always been an awful track to begin with, in my opinion. I've always been baffled by how lame the music in Doom II was compared to the first game.

2 minutes ago, NaliSeed said:

It's always been an awful track to begin with, in my opinion. I've always been baffled by how lame the music in Doom II was compared to the first game.

It's not too bad, compared to some of Doom II's tracks. (looking at you, Countdown to Death)
My personal favourites from Doom II are "Read Me While Listening to This" and "Getting Too Tense". :P

25 minutes ago, Enzo Carozza said:

It's not too bad, compared to some of Doom II's tracks. (looking at you, Countdown to Death)
My personal favourites from Doom II are "Read Me While Listening to This" and "Getting Too Tense". :P

gonna find out how to add custom midi files to the game when i move onto the coding part of the wad making

gonna completely change the track list 

Posted (edited)

rhey guys

map 2 has been finished! 

I'll have time to make the rest of the wad soon 

i also recommend playing this wad was "beautiful doom"

for me at least it makes the game look nicer with lighting and it makes the gameplay feel satisfying 

last night on earth.ra

image.png.8038b1b951f053e3098839b6e08e5a4d.pngimage.png.20747084a1cc41904ec1cbb30a61eaf1.pngimage.png.1c069caaf2b9bb54ad7927e0bef4a640.png

image.png.83b4a24d859ac75c541c90ef9b498e50.png