Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SkeletronMK666

Advanced mapping tutorials.

Question

Hello, intermediate mapper here, looking for tutorials for advanced level mapping and tips to become a master at mapping to contribute to the overall community and to develop content that people will love! I figured to make myself useful, i'll need to make better maps.

6 answers to this question

This video is intended to teach players how to fight in complicated monster combats, but the understanding it brings could also be good for teaching how to build them.

25 minutes ago, SkeletronMK666 said:

i think detailing in maps and also better monster encounters.

I was thinking about making a short video on detailing, but I'll probably not have the time right now. I guess you can look around wads that you like and try to emulate them, in a way. For example, making a techbase involves creating lots of inset computers and equipments, making a good crate maze involves making not only rows of crates, but also some slanted ones that are more organic, and creating outdoor areas relies on more organic free drawn shapes. Do you have any maps to show me that you think are underdetailed?

Detailing is very subjective. Detail to a level you are satisfied with and don't worry too much about pleasing everyone. Not everyone cares about seeing doom maps detailed excessively - as long as they play fine, that's all which people will care about. Do take into account feedback, though, as sometimes others will see something which you think is a good point. For instance, in my Nukage Treatment Pools map, there were comments on how the ceiling in one large room was dull, and the ceiling in the central arena was dull. Adding support beams with lights to the large room did the trick there, and adding lights and interesting shapes with the skybox did it for the main room.

The biggest advice for fine detailing is to do it LAST, after you're satisfied with the gameplay and combat. Trying to move around tons of little fiddly vertexes because the combat needs refinement is just a pain.

Here's a good article on Monster placement and the purpose of encounters:

I guess you should first leave that mentality behind. You're already useful. What kinds of things do tou think are advanced mapping techniques that you need to learn?