Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Melfice

NewDoom Hacked

I can't believe I made a new account just to post this. Well, here comes my side of the story (that I know of).

About 9 hours ago, a person (who will remain nameless, since he did nothing at all towards the demise of NewDoom) told me about how someone got WMull's password and gave everyone Super Moderator access. Not believeing this at all, I go to the NewDoom forums and I try to look for any evidence on this so-called status. I look at my profile for some really weird reason, and I notice "Administrative options" underneath it. I click on it and I put in my username and password. All the sudden, I was in the Moderator Panel... the first thing I did was change the password to my old account back, and started changing the join date and postcount to my account.

After finding out the limits, I look at vBulletin options to see what was there. I started changing heaps of options around (all of them that were reversible), and I saw the Rants and Raves forum turn into one huge pile of "Page number *insert number here*". Me and a few others (who will remain nameless too, since they're also completely innocent) had a really good laugh at it, and one of them tells me that I should change the forum style. I created a new style (take note that I did not change the original forum style in any way), and changed all the background and text colours to MSPaint colours. After I did that (which is the screenshot that Melfice took in the original post), I changed the top picture to goatse for some reason. That got a lot of laughs (and people in #zdoom were laughing at it), so then I added tubgirl and a MIDI of Greensleeves.

A few minutes later, I saw two sub-forums, named "some feces" and "goatse" appear. When I saw those, I stopped messing around with the control panel, and started watching this anonymous person messing around. Roughly 10 minutes later, every single post from all the old sub-forums were moved into one of the new sub-forums. At that point, I just felt terrible for NewDoom to take that. Then some more minutes later, every single post was pruned by what I'm assuming was the same person. I also noticed how he changed the name of the forums to "LANCE HATES NEWDOOM". After that, I stopped looking at the forums completely and went back to mapping.

Since this is indirectly my fault, I do expect some sort of punishment to be made. However, I will not appreciate if anyone says that I was the one who completely destroyed the forums, as I had no intentions whatsoever on actually changing any posts, threads, or sub-forums.

Ichor said
As for NewDoom, when I checked these forums for the first time, I thought it was a joke.

That is what I had in mind. A harmless little joke that would be easy to get rid of. Someone also figured out how to get to the Moderator panel, and well... all hell had broken loose at that stage.

I understand that Melfice but perpetuating it isn't gonna help.

I don't really understand this whole NewDoom vs DoomWorld thing anyway. But to be honest I wouldn't have even known about it till I came to DoomWorld (as for the most part NewDoom has "forgotten" about it)

Dont they have back-ups of the forum? they can be up and running again in no time

DaniJ said:

I understand that Melfice but perpetuating it isn't gonna help.

I don't really understand this whole NewDoom vs DoomWorld thing anyway. But to be honest I wouldn't have even known about it till I came to DoomWorld (as for the most part NewDoom has "forgotten" about it)

Not entirely true Dani - the ND (wmull specifically) moderators have a habit of deleting threads to do with any of this stuff without any warning or trace that they ever existed. If anyone spoke out in any way, it was taking a risk of being banned.

For the most part there has not been a "Newdoom vs. Doomworld" thing for a long time. There is, however a "WMull vs. 99% of DW users" thing still going on.

EDIT: BTW if you think you're not part of that 99%, think again. Go over there and happen to mention DW even once (if only to ask why we can't all get along, or even to say you prefer Newdoom over Doomworld!) and there's an extremely high chance that you'll be permanently banned from Newdoom (by Mull of course).

Yeah, as I was just saying in a PM, just remember that there isn't an overall problem between actual members of the two communities.

//Edit: Damn you Nightmare.

I suggest that you go over there and apologize for what you've done. And don't be surprised if you get blamed for hacking into and utterly destroying all of NewDoom.

notdeathz0r,
I would suggest apologising to all the people who's work you trashed (ignorance is no excuse!)
You played a part in wrecking that forum so you should play a part in letting people know what you did.

Why did you do it?
Why not leave it alone?

I just can't believe you messed with someone elses work and caused it to get ruined!

I just hope you feel really guilty for what you did, and I'm sorry I also hope and will support and legal action taken out against you because what you did was stupid, malicious and wrong.
So I really hope you are punished and maybe you'll learn to leave well enough alone in future!

I'm not a ND or DW fanatic, I don't support one side or the other, it would be just be nice if everyone got along.
The internet is big enough for two rival forums you know.

It doesn't really matter now, as the damage is already done, but I have a question. If everyone had Super Moderator privileges, wasn't it possible for somebody to remove the Super Moderator status from everyone else and thus preventing more damage? That's what I was wondering when reading all this.

eric_m said:

notdeathz0r,
I would suggest apologising to all the people who's work you trashed (ignorance is no excuse!)

Fuck you, I did not trash anyone's work at all. If I hear one more post like this, I am not apologizing.

Arno said:

It doesn't really matter now, as the damage is already done, but I have a question. If everyone had Super Moderator privileges, wasn't it possible for somebody to remove the Super Moderator status from everyone else and thus preventing more damage? That's what I was wondering when reading all this.

I was actually looking for about half a hour for a solution to that, but I found out that it's not possible to do with Super Moderator status.

eric_m said:

The internet is big enough for two rival forums you know.

The forums are not rivals. It's just that for some reason the "leader" of one forum hates virtually everyone who uses the other forum (and only in some cases is the feeling mutual).

So if you use one forum you most likely can't use the other, but through absolutely no fault of your own. If you really want to be able to post on both forums, you'll probably have to go out of your way to try to hide the fact.

notdeathz0r said:

Fuck you, I did not trash anyone's work at all. If I hear one more post like this, I am not apologizing.
I was actually looking for about half a hour for a solution to that, but I found out that it's not possible to do with Super Moderator status.

My God!

Stop throwing your toys out of your pram and face up to your responsibilties like an adult!!!

It's all very well trying to fix it, but what are you saying...
When you couldn't you decided to mess about with it anyway?

It's simple.
If it's not yours, don't touch it!
If you'd left it alone someone else not you would be being blamed for what happened, don't you understand that?

NiGHTMARE said:

As I already said, two rival forums are not involved here. It's just that for some reason the "leader" of one forum hates virtually everyone who uses the other forum (and only in some cases is the feeling mutual).

That's sad.

Still, people will be people, there's always someone who has to go out of their way to annoy people :(

eric_m said:

My God!

Stop throwing your toys out of your pram and face up to your responsibilties like an adult!!!

Hey neanderthal, read my first comment in this thread again. What the fuck do you think I just did?

I say it again BACK-UP YOUR DATA! and restore it whenever needed. Like now

eric_m said:

LOL

That's another thing I did, I changed "lol" to "I AM A FAGGOT I AM A FAGGOT I AM A FAGGOT". That one was well-deserved.

I like you!
Where can I get some of what you're smoking?

Do yourself a favour and stop posting here, for your own good.

In deathz0r's defence, it wasn't him who started the problems. I do think that he shouldn't have gone as far as he did though, but I have to give him credit for apologizing and taking responsibility for his actions. When this is over, I doubt apologizing on Newdoom will do any good - when I did, the thread was deleted straight away, without explanation.

Ichor repeats:
Don't be surprised if you get blamed for hacking into and utterly destroying all of NewDoom.

notdeathz0r said:

That's another thing I did, I changed "lol" to "I AM A FAGGOT I AM A FAGGOT I AM A FAGGOT". That one was well-deserved.

Really?
Ok if you say so.

notdeathz0r said:

Do yourself a favour and stop posting here, for your own good.

Mmmm..
Bless, aren't you cute *wink*

Ok in the interests of interforum relationships and in case of legal action I'm going to bow out of this one before it gets stupid.
Said my bit, leave it at that.

Ichor said:

Stuff

Yes yes, I read that part. I just hate anyone who thinks they'll suck out anything else from me, since I've said everything that I know about it.

I don't know who's behind all this but I can guarantee that:
1) I'll try to get IPs of the responsibles from WMull himself and I'll ban the corresponding users from DW's very forums myself,
2) The anti-ND-flaming policy will get a fucking lot stricter, expect no mercy.

What happened is unnacceptable and childish. This is the Doom community in its whole that has been attacked.

I'd suggest that flamers and trolls stop arguing ASAP because I'm in such a bad mood I may very well end up deleting DW's forums for great justice. And I am serious.