Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thatdrnstump

Doom 1.9 Demo

I have installed 1.9, here is the procedure I used- downloaded zipped file to My Briefcase on my desktop, created new folder in C drive, unzipped DOOM into it, double clicked INSTALL icon, inflated the files to same folder in C drive. Went to SETUP, set my parameters and played. The sound FX were good, the music worked fine. Then I created a shortcut to the LAUNCH EXE. That is when the sound FX stops. The music plays fine all the time. Only after deleting everything, and installing the game again does it work. But again, only the initial launch from the setup exe lets the FX be audible. I have even changed all the IRQ's for the 5 devices associated with my sound card, trying to match what Doom requires. It is ALS100 Avance Logic, incorporating a Avance FM synthesiser(wdm), MPU-401 Device (wdm), Game Port, Wave Audio Device (wdm), Wave Device For Voice Modem. I am very irritated that the FX will work the first launch from setup, then quit launching from Doom exe. The MPU 401 lists NO DMA's, so I cannot imagine Doom is trying to use it. My processor is Pentium 233 MMX, 64 Mb RAM, Win 98SE. Can you help me figure this out? Thank you in advance

Your system sounds right, the sound card might be a bit odd because doom likes the Sound Blaster :)
I don't know what the LAUNCH.EXE file you are speaking about is. It is not supposed to be with the regular doom2 v1.9 files (unless it's been added lately).

I would recommend this, once you setup your config through SETUP.EXE, just use DOOM2.EXE to start your game. Or just keep on starting the game though SETUP.EXE :)

You can also use one of the numerous source ports listed in doomworld.

The Doom I have is the final release of episode one. Iguess I need to break down and buy a good sound card, and video card to play Doom3. I just do not understand why the sound FX will work on initial launch of the game and quit FX every start after, no matter if I start from SETUP or DOOM.EXE. The same results every time, I like the FX! OH, and what is a source port, and how is it used? Is it a physical port, or software?

thatdrnstump said:
OH, and what is a source port, and how is it used? Is it a physical port, or software?

A source port is used to provide an alternative game engine than the old, original one. They all aim to remove the old engine's DOS dependancy and most of them add new features such as mouselook, jumping, 3D effects, etc.

Check out -> http://www.doomworld.com/ports/windows.shtml

A few good ones are:
1)PrBoom
2)ZDoom

Unzip the files of whichever source port you use into a fresh folder, place the IWAD (doom.wad, doom2.wad, tnt.wad or plutonia.wad, whichever you have) in that directory, and run the main executable (for example, zdoom.exe). There is a lot of documentation to be found at the respective homepages of the ports.

Hope this helps.

Since my last post I acquired ZDoom and Legacy. I have figured out the Doom wads(1&2), but I cannot figure out a way to run others, like Simpdoom, Rage20 and other singles and dehacked multiple maps. I always get the error Must use main wad ,D1 D1 Heretic1 and such. Even from the console I cannot load a external.I am nearing my wit's end!

with zdoom i think you can use these parameters:

zdoom.exe -iwad c:\games\doom2\doom2.wad -file c:\games\doom2\stupidwad.wad

this is just an example of course...if you use this example you should be able to run the extra file, even from a windows shortcut.

btw, i recommend using Jdoom...it has awesome graphics and you can download extra graphical stuff like 3d models and better textures to make it look even better... http://www.doomsdayhq.com

EvisceratoR said:

btw, i recommend using Jdoom...it has awesome graphics and you can download extra graphical stuff like 3d models and better textures to make it look even better... http://www.doomsdayhq.com

NO.

You cannot play wads with the shareware version. You must get the final version of Doom 1 if you wish to play custom levels with it, and they must be Doom 1 wads.

thatdrnstump said:
The Doom I have is the final release of episode one.

just realized the thread title is "doom 1.9 demo" so just forget about what i said..i was talking about the full version all along :P