Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MmM

Now that's what I call a splitting headache

This is a Mindflusher/PsychoHead, an enemy character from the video game Final Fantasy V. I started working on it Saturday (2/24/07) afternoon and completed it yesterday afternoon.

Game sprite (for comparison).

Rotating animation:

Completed figure:

Mid-construction photos:

(A) This is a quick sketch I did, on 2/24/07, prior to doing any work, to use as a guide while modeling/painting the figure. This is usually the first step I take when starting any model. (B) This is a 'UFO' plastic capsule (the kind that you get small toys in from vending machines) that I used as a molding surface while building up the face. Unfortunately, I sat on it and cracked it in half shortly after capturing this photo, which was kind of a bummer as I've had it for years. (C) This row of photos depicts the rough face sculpt, which I finished the afternoon of 2/24/07. I later added smaller details with a wood burner before painting it that evening. (D) Here's a row of several photos showing the face complete and painted on the morning of 2/25/07. I still need to add eyes though. (E) Here are three photos of the skull and jawbone complete and with their first coat of paint on the evening of 2/25/07. The toothpicks sticking out of their bottoms are just temporarily attached so I have something to hold onto while painting them; they don't serve any structural function for the actual figure. (F) These two rows of photos show the completed skull, and its partially-painted skin covering, on the afternoon of 2/26/07. The skin covering still needs a nutmeg brown wash, so that the tone will match the face, and red gloss (blood) added to finish its paint treatment. I also put eyes in the skull's sockets, shortened the upper jaw, and joined the lower jaw to the skull with wire twist ties. The jawbone does look rather elongated at this point, but consider that it needs to be open very wide to accomodate the tongue/tissue connecting the two halves of the head. (G) This photo shows the completed skull and skin covering as well as the face which I finally added eyes to. (H) Here's a couple of mock-up photos of the two halves of the head positioned on the unpainted tongue element. (I) This is the tongue element, complete but unpainted, on the morning of 2/27/07.

Webpage with more information:

http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/mindflusher.html

Great work!
The monster design in itself already looks very cool and I think you did a pretty good job transfering that to your model.

that is frakin sick! I love the hell out of it. nice and gory lookin. never played FF-V though.

DarkArchon: I believe you're thinking of the Castlevania Legion (purple, multi-headed and multi-tongued creature) figure I made rather than a Metroid one.

This is a Kornago/Conago, a toad enemy from the video game Final Fantasy V. I started working on it Friday (3/2/07) afternoon and completed it yesterday evening.

Game sprite (for comparison).

Rotating animation:

Completed figure:

Mid-construction photos:

(A) This is a quick sketch I did, on 3/2/07, prior to doing any work, to use as a guide while modeling/painting the figure. (B) I got this sphere from an old baby/toddler toy that I broke open (hence the dog faces). I used the exterior surface of this to mold the basic shape of the body. (C) This row of photos depicts the rough body sculpt on the evening of 3/2/07. (D) Here's a couple of photos of the body after cutting it in half to extract the sphere. I should have taken it out before adding the eyes, bumps, mouth, etc. seen above, as it's easiest to extract the molding object when the molded surface is in its simplest form. But, since I didn't, it was rather difficult and frustrating to get it out while (one) still keeping the sculpted exterior in good condition and (two) not cutting myself with the knife in the process. I seriously considered just leaving the darn thing inside, but I knew I'd want to use it again for other projects, so I dug it out. (E) Here are four photos of the completed rough sculpt from the afternoon of 3/4/07. Legs, additional bumps/warts, and more body definition have been added. Once I clean this up and add a few minor details, it'll be ready to paint.

Webpage with more information:

http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/kornago.html

nice. the colors came out really good. looks like it would be nice and poisonous. the anatomy is pretty spot on as well.

Wow. That's pretty impressive. Do you have to use a certain newspaper (something hell-ridden or cursed) in order to get the proper feel?

No, the newsprint doesn't need to be anything special. I usually use two, free, local periodicals that come out every week as my main supply. When I get packages in the mail and the item(s) is wrapped in newsprint, I usually recycle that into figures as well.