Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aaronjw

Invisible floors

I was just now playing through Plutonia for my first time, and got to the end of MAP02, Well of Souls. That invisible bridge is pretty darn cool, and I was wondering how you make them? I tried opening up the map in DB2 and using that to draw my own in another file, but I can't seem to get it to work fully. If I jump down into the chasm I made,I can't see the sides of the bridge, so that works alright. But if I'm going to cross the bridge, I can still see the floor texture of the bridge, instead of seeing down into the chasm. Also, when I move to the right or left of the bridge, I see a strange effect. Basically it shows the bridge floor texture on the sides of the bridge. That doesn't really describe it like it is, but I'm not sure how to say it better.

So, how do you do this, and why does it work?

Aaronjw said:

Also, when I move to the right or left of the bridge, I see a strange effect. Basically it shows the bridge floor texture on the sides of the bridge. That doesn't really describe it like it is, but I'm not sure how to say it better.

We in the business refer to this as "bleeding flats". The floor texture, or "flat", "bleeds" into the space on the screen that would be filled by a lower wall texture, if the lower wall had a texture.

Creaphis said:

We in the business refer to this as "bleeding flats". The floor texture, or "flat", "bleeds" into the space on the screen that would be filled by a lower wall texture, if the lower wall had a texture.

Yup, that's what it was. Now I know what the accepted term is. Thanks.

If you use Doom builder or doom builder 2, make your map zdoom (doom in hexen format). Go to things mode there is bridge things. Place one in your map and scroll it up because you can walk over and under of it. Plutonia don't use this, but this works.