Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Obituary repackaging

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

I'm totally in to repackaging things when they respect the source material, and probably include it, too.

But as for the repackaging of old content, they should be checked somehow.

For example, STRAIN has a repackaging that makes easier to play it, and also come with handy fixes for some maps, problem is that the skies are chaged on that version, and almost nobody notice it.
In the original, every sky was a 4 parts sky, and in the repackaged every sky is just a 1 part sky.

My stance is if it is easier to play it and faithful to the original release, its good.

if almost nobody is noticing a tiny tiny change that was probably not even on purpose...i don't think it's a huge deal? if you want, you can make a fixed version

7 minutes ago, roadworx said:

if almost nobody is noticing a tiny tiny change that was probably not even on purpose...i don't think it's a huge deal? if you want, you can make a fixed version

i made it haha

just pointing out that while repackaging, there is a need to check things out to be faithful to the original release.

As time flies, not much people that played the original on it intended time context way of being played. For example, STRAIN has a map that uses a bug to open the exit. Since that bug is kinda fix on most sourceports, there was a need for a fix on that map to be playable on modern sourceports that goes limit removing and beyond.

So, if not much people that played the original stay around, if someone makes a change to the mapset, maybe nobody will notice until, for some reason, decided on take a look to the original release.

got what i'm trying to say?
There chance that arbitrary changes made their way to the repackaging, and so i think there is a need to them to be  be curated somehow, so they remain as faithful as they should.

1 minute ago, P41R47 said:

i made it haha

just pointing out that while repackaging, there is a need to check things out to be faithful to the original release.

As time flies, not much people that played the original on it intended time context way of being played. For example, STRAIN has a map that uses a bug to open the exit. Since that bug is kinda fix on most sourceports, there was a need for a fix on that map to be playable on modern sourceports that goes limit removing and beyond.

So, if not much people that played the original stay around, if someone makes a change to the mapset, maybe nobody will notice until, for some reason, decided on take a look to the original release.

got what i'm trying to say?

ye, i get what you're saying. in my mind, it's more the experience that needs to be intact rather than small detaild, but i can see how that could be altered if you were one of the ones who played it back in the day

btw, would you mind sending me the fixed version? i wanna replace the old repackaged wad

5 minutes ago, roadworx said:

ye, i get what you're saying. in my mind, it's more the experience that needs to be intact rather than small detaild, but i can see how that could be altered if you were one of the ones who played it back in the day

btw, would you mind sending me the fixed version? i wanna replace the old repackaged wad

STRAIN is well documented on its wiki page, having both links to the original package and the fixed version on it.
Just scroll down to the external link section.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/STRAIN

5 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

STRAIN is well documented on its wiki page, having both links to the original package and the fixed version on it.
Just scroll down to the external link section.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/STRAIN

i meant as in the version you made lol

Just now, roadworx said:

i meant as in the version you made lol

oh, sorry. I don't have it anymore.

i deleted it after i completed STRAIN :/

But if you download the fixed version, the txt said that the best way to play is load strainfix.wad and strainjive.wad together. But the arbitrary changes of the skies are made on the strainjive.wad, so if you load strainfix.wad an exrtact the dehacked patch on strainjive.wad, it will play like the original but with the retconed maps to work on modern source-ports.

8 hours ago, P41R47 said:

oh, sorry. I don't have it anymore.

i deleted it after i completed STRAIN :/

But if you download the fixed version, the txt said that the best way to play is load strainfix.wad and strainjive.wad together. But the arbitrary changes of the skies are made on the strainjive.wad, so if you load strainfix.wad an exrtact the dehacked patch on strainjive.wad, it will play like the original but with the retconed maps to work on modern source-ports.

Does the repackaged edition have the altered skies?

1 minute ago, Andromeda said:

Does the repackaged edition have the altered skies?

No, i just chacked. Sorry if i was missleading here.

Only the StrainFIX pack has the modified skies on the StrainJive.wad.

But since the fix is the one mostly played by now, as the original repackaged needs a stric vanilla compatibility to be played, i thought its in need of pointing it out.

On 7/25/2021 at 4:24 PM, Wadmodder Shalton said:

I wish to see other PWADs released in the 1990s repackaged in some form. One I wish to see on the idgames archive is Cleimos 2.0.

Would this be what you're looking for?