Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
peach freak

Monsters not rising from floor properly, also switch issue

I decided to run one of my maps through Chocolate Doom just to make sure it would run fine in Vanilla. In this map, one of the rooms has monsters "underneath" the floor so when you walk across a line they immediately pop up. I am using the line action "Floor Lower to Highest Floor" so the floor rise is instant.

However, when I cross the walkover line, the sectors rise too high and they actually go above the floor. As you can see, the entire sector (minus the three with the monster) is just one floor height, so I don't know what's causing it to raise higher than it should.

Also, why is this switch displaying like it is? It is SW1EXIT, and I offset the switch so that it looked embedded in the wall. I do this a lot in my maps and this is the first time I have seen this happen.

Thanks.

For the first one, what is the floor height of the surrounding swamp floor? Floors don't seem to lower/raise below -500 units in classic ports.

For the second one, I think vanilla doesn't like negative offsets in some cases (maybe when the texture's height is not a power of two).

The offsets on that switch are 32, 88 (and it's not Lower/Upper Unpegged either), so it's not that they're negative.

And for the floor problem, what if I tried something simpler, like Floor Raise to Highest Floor (instead of lower)? The effect I was going for was that the monsters would pop out of the sewer sludge....

Also, in the previous room, there is a floor with a height of -768. You hit a switch to raise it up to the next higher floor, which is -512. This works fine in Chocolate Doom. Shouldn't that have problems then too?

You could possibly select all of the sectors in the map and change the ceiling heights to "++36" and floor heights to "++36" which will shift all the sectors up 36 units. It will have no noticeable effect to the player and it'll get your trap out of that -500 range.

Select the entire map in Doom Builder. All the sectors, all of them. Edit sector properties now. Set floor height and ceiling height to both be "++256". With the double +.

It'll adjust all the floor heights and ceiling heights by adding 256 to them, which should solve the < -500 issue. It definitely works in DB2 and its derivatives, and I think it already existed in DB the First.

For the switch, the texture dimensions are 32x72, so your offsets of 32x88 could be modulated into offsets of 0x16. Try that. Since the you are using a vertical offset larger than its height, you might be recreating the same situation as when you try to tile the texture. And since the vertical dimension isn't a power of two, this means tutti-frutti.

peach freak said:

Also, in the previous room, there is a floor with a height of -768. You hit a switch to raise it up to the next higher floor, which is -512. This works fine in Chocolate Doom. Shouldn't that have problems then too?

You're right. Maybe it's just the Floor Lower actions that are affected below -500, I'm not sure.

Gez said:

Select the entire map in Doom Builder. All the sectors, all of them. Edit sector properties now. Set floor height and ceiling height to both be "++256". With the double +.

It'll adjust all the floor heights and ceiling heights by adding 256 to them, which should solve the < -500 issue. It definitely works in DB2 and its derivatives, and I think it already existed in DB the First.

For the switch, the texture dimensions are 32x72, so your offsets of 32x88 could be modulated into offsets of 0x16. Try that. Since the you are using a vertical offset larger than its height, you might be recreating the same situation as when you try to tile the texture. And since the vertical dimension isn't a power of two, this means tutti-frutti.

Readjusting the offsets appeared to do the trick. Put them at 0, 16 and I don't get the problem anymore. Don't know how I ended up with those other offset numbers...

One other thing about this map is that it does go deeper underground later on (as in, it goes down to -5200 near the end). Does Doom run into problems when floor heights are too high?