Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Good temp texture for vertical alignment?

Does anyone have a good temporary texture for doing vertical alignment? I mean one you could put instead of bricks or something very monotonous like that temporarily and align easily: http://i.imgur.com/sfOInuk.png. Preferably as versatile as possible.

Look at preview in the OP in this thread, maybe the 3rd texture would work for you (or maybe you'd find the entire pack useful for placeholder texturing). I like the STUCCO pattern, because it seems very neutral to me. I made these textures grey to look even more neutral, but you can just use stock STUCCO1.

I guess it's hard to explain what I need. I want a texture that will make it immediately easily visible whether two walls are aligned vertically or not in as many situations as possible. STUCCO and all that monotonous stuff obviously won't work as most of it looks the same and it's impossible to tell apart its various sections (so can't tell if two walls have the texture on the same height). These colored squares are a bit better but mostly will work nicely only on 64-wide walls and also it's impossible to distinguish 64 Y offset from 128 on them. I guess I should just make one by myself.

Memfis said:

I guess it's hard to explain what I need. I want a texture that will make it immediately easily visible whether two walls are aligned vertically or not in as many situations as possible. STUCCO and all that monotonous stuff obviously won't work as most of it looks the same and it's impossible to tell apart its various sections (so can't tell if two walls have the texture on the same height).

The one horizontal strip at the top of STUCCO1 is not enough to determine whether 2 walls are aligned vertically or not? How many determinant height indicators (horizontal lines / different colors / etc) would you like to have per a 128-tall texture?

Of course it's not enough if the walls are less tall than 128... The strip might not be there at all.

From the stock textures, try ICKWALL1. It doesn't tile horizontally, but it looks unique at each height level. I think that's what you were looking for. ;)

I believe I tend to use GSTFONT for this purpose, since its edges are fairly easy to detect both horizontally and vertically, making it a snap to detect misalignments.

The 32in24 texture pack even has a double-wide version, in case the texture was 128 pixels wide instead of only 64.