Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andrea Rovenski

Sunlust + Summer of '69 demos [-complevel 9]

Keep going man, it'll happen soon! I for one can't wait for that demo to drop! I'm going to have popcorn and coke with it and treat it like a movie night.

On 7/11/2023 at 12:06 AM, Starduster said:

Hopefully I can post a d2all here sometime soon. Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Kinetic said:

Sunlust D2All UV-Max in 2:57:59.

slallm25759.zip

Can't thank everyone enough for sticking with me on the journey, I'm going to go get my teeth yanked out as a reward for this.

Holy crap, congrats on achieving this!

Any chance of a YouTube upload? I don't think I'll be able to manage a 3-hour long in-engine sitting to watch the demo.

Kinetic, that truly is an incredible demo. Demo of the year for me definitely. Before I joined the Doom scene I saw the 4:23 hours Daerik demo, which was incomprehensible to me in terms of skill it needed: I couldn't believe my eyes. Then the almost sub four hours run by Nevanos, which I thought could not be improved much, if at all, but no more than by a minute or two. The idea of this demo is so wildly reckless: just skip the sub four and go directly to sub three. In a run this difficult and optimized (to everyone but top-tier Doom speedrunners, it seems), it's just so mind-blowing that it could be pulled off. I can't begin to imagine the level of memorization and practice this one took. (I haven't watched your commented run yet, but shall do that soon!) From what I could see I didn't see more than like three seconds of hesitation in the entire run -- combined -- everything was non-stop action and constant risk and maximizing efficiency. Did you get a face rocket even a single time? I didn't notice at any rate. Congratulations for the accomplishment.

Edit: That dental surgery comment is such an icing on the cake.

2 hours ago, slowfade said:

Kinetic...

hey thanks slowfade :), means a lot that I can entertain people and have a positive impact just by playing a videogame for hours on end.

Daerik gets all the credit for initially revealing that this is possible, he is the one who was originally routing Sunlust D2All Max Sub 3, and he did route it to get under 3 hours by about 3-5 minutes IIRC. That was earlier this year in February or January I think. I just needed to try and replicate the same thing, going off of the UV-Max IL tables for sunlust for both determining routes for maps and speed at which I need to approach to get under 3 hours (the sum of the ILs is 2:44 or somewhere around there).

Over 200 hours of practice and attempts to create the run, and hopefully this graph helps articulate how many failures it took to get it.

Spoiler

iamge.png.422fec14584bde9ee9e6e6df9e5b8494.png

There should be at least a couple facerockets in this run, almost every attempt had a couple facerockets if it made it far. And the run is far from optimized, especially episode 3, and the missing monsters in Map24 and 30 cost almost 2 full minutes alone in this run.

I'm amazed that you got to map 30 just twice and no more. Really shows the difficulty of the long run. Can't imagine the nerves! Looking at that graph it's like you enter some other mode of focus after map 20.

Should be much more willing to reset early because resets are way cheaper then (part of why so many failed attempts are map01), which just shows how much of a nightmare the second half's less consistent maps must be. 

edit:

7 minutes ago, Kinetic said:

This is an interesting way to frame the run's attempts, because when I reset, 99.9% of the time it was because I died, which isn't willing at all.

Yeah to be clear I meant resets as all of them (not exclusively voluntary resets), although the lack of voluntary ones is an interesting tidbit.  

28 minutes ago, slowfade said:

I'm amazed that you got to map 30 just twice and no more. Really shows the difficulty of the long run. Can't imagine the nerves! Looking at that graph it's like you enter some other mode of focus after map 20.

The nerves weren't huge on the final attempt actually, once you get to maps enough times they aren't as nerve wracking, especially if you've beaten a part before, getting that first win on a particular section or fight increases your confidence in it by about 10x.

The graph I showed is a bit misleading in some ways to those who don't speedrun a lot or know how these sorts of things go, it looks like I do really good in episode 3, but in reality I'm generally playing a bit slower and safer, and I don't get there as much, so you see more extreme results in terms of death/survivals than if I had gotten to e3 as much as e1...I believe with a larger sample size I would be generally as successful on the average e3 map as the average e1 map. My E1 and E2 are where I'm playing at my best in the run, since I've run those maps so many times I can do the mostly strict routes in my sleep, E1 and E2 is where most of the time advantage is built up, E3 is just about holding onto that time advantage long enough to be able to hold off the sub 3 barrier from catching me.

On another note, I did only get to Map30 twice, but I would have started to get there much more frequently if I continued attempts after the exit, I began to get a lot more consistent at maps 17-30 near the end of attempts. The day previous to the winning attempt in fact was the first time I got to Map30.

23 minutes ago, baja blast rd. said:

Should be much more willing to reset early because resets are way cheaper then (part of why so many failed attempts are map01), which just shows how much of a nightmare the second half's less consistent maps must be. 

This is an interesting way to frame the run's attempts, because when I reset, 99.9% of the time it was because I died, which isn't willing at all. The less consistent maps weren't nightmares by the end of the run, after you get to them a couple times and get more confident at them they're just stepstones to the exit. Map30 I was pretty calm in my winning run, and really confidence and experience in the later maps is what improves consistency, Map28 for example I believe I died on 3 consecutive times before I beat it my last 2 times after learning certain pitfalls to avoid in that map and smoothing out the route to account for things that went wrong in the past.