Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danfun64

Longtics , Limits, and Complevels

On my main computer, Crispy Doom is my preferred way of playing vanilla and limit-removing levels with decent multiplayer support. On my old win98se laptop, that doesn't really appear to be an option.

1. Support for Win9x in Chocolate and Crispy is slightly broken to begin with.
2. Once the SDL2 branch is merged, it will be completely broken.

So for vanilla there is always the base exe's. But what about limit-removing or limit-reducing and the longtics patch? Does doom2-plus 1.92.6 follow the equivalent of -complevel 2 (doom 2 1.9) or -complevel 4 (final doom)?

Basically, where can I find vanilla exes for ultimate doom, doom2, and final doom that have longtic demos and the reduced limits of doom2-plus?

I already have both Boom and MBF on there, as I do on my main computer via DosBox. I just like having a combination of PrBoom-Plus for single player and Crispy/Boom/MBF (err...Vanilla/Plus/Boom/MBF in this case) for other purposes.

edit: "NOTE: This hack won't work with the DOS executables that accompany Final DOOM
or The Ultimate DOOM."

...so basically, for Ultimate Doom I use the latest doom-plus (without longtics), Doom 2 can use both longtics and limit-removal, and with Final Doom I can't do anything... :P

edit 2: On a related note, how does dehacked react to doom exe's that have dos4gw replaced with dos32a?

Dehacked performs the hacks on the main doom executable. The dos4gw is a separate executable.

EDIT: I may be wrong.

dos4gw is integrated into the doom exe. Depending on where it is placed, it might confuse dehacked if dos32a is integrated into it.

By the way, you might be interested in nukeykt's pcdoom port, which I believe is a port of Chocolate Doom back to DOS.

Danfun64 said:

dos4gw is integrated into the doom exe. Depending on where it is placed, it might confuse dehacked if dos32a is integrated into it.

You can probably make it work if you tweak the offsets in the dehacked config file.

Using both the longtics patch and replacing dos4gw with dos32a drive dehacked bonkers. Oh well, I'm mainly setting things up on my older computer because running things on real hardware is fun :P It's not meant to be serious usage.

fraggle said:

...you might be interested in nukeykt's pcdoom port, which I believe is a port of Chocolate Doom back to DOS.

No .mus support (opposite problem of Doom95), how does multiplayer work?

edit 2: It's amazing how complicated vanilla is to even Chocolate and Boom, what with the need for novert, dehacked, deusf...

As someone who hasn't even discovered Doom in some form until 2004-ish as a young boy, I can't imagine how you guys put up with that stuff on a daily basis.

Danfun64 said:

No .mus support (opposite problem of Doom95), how does multiplayer work?

PCDoom is recreation of Doom 2 1.9 source code based on LinuxDoom.
Multiplayer is compatible with vanilla Doom 2 1.9. I simply renamed it to doom2.exe and runned multiplayer in setup.exe, and it worked.
Also my port can be compiled with actual DMX library.