Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MinerOfWorlds

Why has no one made a fan made doom 64 sequel?

Are you by any chance using the Nightly Build?

If so, I recommend reverting to 2.5 release, as the newer ones are essentially beta builds that are being worked on by someone else than Kaiser - who is busy with other projects, including Turok 2 Remastered.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Are you by any chance using the Nightly Build?

If so, I recommend reverting to 2.5 release, as the newer ones are essentially beta builds that are being worked on by someone else than Kaiser - who is busy with other projects, including Turok 2 Remastered.

I don't know if you were asking me or Nevander but I didn't know there are nightlies now, so you can assume I've been using 2.5 all this time. I might try the beta (nightly) releases to see if they crash less or are more stable in my little machine. Thanks for the heads up!

JohnnyTheWolf said:

No, stay away from them: while I never experienced a single crash with the 2.5 release, the Nightly Build did cause the game to crash after a couple of levels.

You can find the 2.5 build here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/doom64ex/files/doom64ex/2.5/doom64ex_2.5_win32.zip/download

That's the thing. I can't use 2.5 without it crashing on me randomly. I had to uninstall it as a result.

Same here. I am on 2.5 and I still get these issues. I haven't had to uninstall it but the mouse shit is seriously annoying. I was considering reverting to 2.3 since I have a version on my old PC. I was going to see if 2.3 has the same problems.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i7-4820K and AMD Radeon R9 270X... wtf. There's got to be a deeper rooted cause to my problems. But what the hell is it!!?? Either that or I'm just gonna blame AMD's drivers for the mouse problem (which might not even be mouse related, it just affects the movement but is a video problem).

I had an AMD card before and I could play Doom 64 EX just fine. Mouse movement feels a bit weird compared to GZDoom, but that is pretty much it.

Have you reported your issues on the Doom 64 EX forums?

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Have you reported your issues on the Doom 64 EX forums?

I don't know what good that will do, since it was reported already but nothing ever happened with it and the solution posted in there didn't work for me. So I'm out of ideas, period. Only way to know for sure is to start changing everything in my system one by one until I find the cause, but that's a lot of shit to do for not a very good result.

Which is one major reason why I'm doing this project. I want to play Doom 64 in the most faithful way possible on an engine that runs smooth as silk on my PC: GZDoom.

Speaking of which, I went ahead and did The Absolution and got that working flawless. You can close the gates and kill off Demons early, and fight the Mother Demon just like the real deal. As far as overall progress, I am currently working on Research Lab (MAP07). I can't wait to be done with the techbase maps.

Nevander said:

Which is one major reason why I'm doing this project. I want to play Doom 64 in the most faithful way possible on an engine that runs smooth as silk on my PC: GZDoom.

It's like 64doom it does not need to be done but why not?

Figured out the Plasma Rifle puzzle in Final Outpost. Really all that happens is when you press the switch, a random number gets generated and depending on which number is what determines which column the rifle spawns on top of. The cameras work the same way, each time you use the panel it simply chooses a random camera each time.

The trick was that I had to also spawn a different and out of reach rifle in the same position outside of the map where the cameras look into.

Which lead me to discover a trick on solving it very easily. This may already be known but just in case it's not... the camera in the southeast corner is 64 units off the floor of the sector outside. Since the rooms have to match up or else the puzzle would be entirely luck based, you can quickly narrow down the right column by cycling through the cameras until you see through the one which is the highest off the floor, then you know that's the southeast corner (or the corner on the left as you enter the column room). From here you can determine which column the rifle is on.

Nevander said:

Figured out the Plasma Rifle puzzle in Final Outpost. Really all that happens is when you press the switch, a random number gets generated and depending on which number is what determines which column the rifle spawns on top of. The cameras work the same way, each time you use the panel it simply chooses a random camera each time.

It seems that the project is going fast.

MinerOfWorlds said:

It seems that the project is going fast.

Indeed. I can finish a map in a couple days, sometimes shorter. I did all of Research Lab in less than a day. If I can keep this pace, I imagine I'll be done with the first versions of all the stock Doom 64 maps by the end of December, just in time for a new years release, definitely very early next year by the latest. I'll need time to make the new maps which will probably take longer than porting the stock ones since I have to work entirely from new and have no starting base.

Which reminds me, in March next year is the 20 year anniversary of Doom 64. I'm willing to bet Aubrey Hodges will do a 20th Anniversary version of the soundtrack... that will pair amazingly well with my project as a separate music enhancing mod, if he does it. I reaaally hope he does because that would kick all possible ass.

Doom 64 properly made in GZDoom + 20th Anniversary Extended soundtrack = EPIC

EDIT: Final Outpost is done, started Even Simpler and remade the 3D geometry at the start perfectly!

Sorry to double post but I found a way to almost perfectly emulate the Doom 64 EX style cloud skies. Originally Doom 64 simply made a cloud texture scroll across the screen and gave it a color, EX improved it and turned them into a skybox. I found a way to make it look very close to EX, possibly even better.

The trick was to create a skybox outside of the map like normal but lower the ceiling to 64 units (heh, 64) from the floor, giving the sector a height of 64. Next, apply the correct colored cloud texture (I am borrowing and recoloring the cloud textures from BD64, they are very good).

Since the ceiling is lower, higher numbers for Scroll_Ceiling will be way too fast since the ceiling is physically closer to the viewpoint camera. Lower the numbers to about 4 and give it the proper direction.

Now, the trick was that Doom 64 EX has two layers, one layer is a slower and higher up cloud texture which is the very top, however there is also another thinner layer which moves MUCH faster and is basically almost transparent.

So, what I did was made a 3D floor for the skybox (luckily that didn't blow up the engine). Then gave said 3D floor a height of 1 and an opacity of 100 so you can see through it. The final step was to scroll the floor of the 3D floor dummy sector at a faster speed (15 over 4) and that produces the EXACT effect from Doom 64 EX's cloud skies.

Whew. The hardest part for me was figuring out what positive/negative scrolls which direction, but I realized the viewpoint needs to always face NORTH to get the correct scroll direction IN-MAP.

Forgot to mention, the 1px tall 3D floor should be about 8 units under the ceiling of the skybox sector, but moving it lower or higher might look better. I will experiment.

By the way here's a bunch of recolors of the BD64 cloud skies. I wish I knew where they originated from but they look great in-game. I colored some to match Doom 64 because I noticed BD64 didn't have the purple one, brown one, or the light pink/red one.

http://imgur.com/a/RbelS
http://imgur.com/a/QmFGi
http://imgur.com/a/N7ZAz

Well I'd never heard of nor tried using a 3D floor inside of a skybox and wasn't sure if the engine could handle projecting 3D floors into the sky of the rest of the map.

Nevander said:

Well I'd never heard of nor tried using a 3D floor inside of a skybox and wasn't sure if the engine could handle projecting 3D floors into the sky of the rest of the map.

I think the worst that could happen is lag.

Houston, we have a logo (credit to TheDoctor45 on DeviantArt for the base, I just added text):

SOURCE: http://thedoctor45.deviantart.com/art/Doom-64-Custom-Icon-364632626
"I'm glad you like it, you're free to use it as you please btw."

What'ya think? Decided on the name "Doom 64: Retribution" because of how in DOOM 2016 apparently the Demons entombed the Doomslayer in that sarcophagus thing and it could be thought of as the Demons' "retribution" of sorts (in their eyes of course).

Also, almost done with Terror Core. You guys are going to love this new style of cloud skies, it even beats out BD64's style. I need to make a preview video of these skies in action!

MinerOfWorlds said:

How did you get the doom 64 font?

Used a DBIGFONT lump of the D64 font and made a red one by assembling the letters, scaled it up to 200% and then edited it a bit to make it look like that.

"Retribution" seems a bit too random. Personally, I would go with "Restoration", since you aim to remain as faithful to the original game as possible.

Although I do appreciate the attempt to link Doom 64 to Doom 2016, I find it ridiculous that the Demons would set a non-lethal trap for their nemesis.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Although I do appreciate the attempt to link Doom 64 to Doom 2016, I find it ridiculous that the Demons would set a non-lethal trap for their nemesis.

How else would you start the game?

If it were up to me, Doom 2016 would have gone with an entirely different plot, but for the sake of answering your question, I would have had Doomguy entombing himself willingly after successfully pacifying Hell and getting some much deserved rest until the world needs him again.

I hope the Doom Wiki is accurate because I am referencing some things from it, but anyway:

"...ancient warrior trapped in Hell known as the Doom Slayer, who was feared and loathed by the demons for destroying vast numbers of them in battles waged across eons of time. [Hayden] brought this warrior, who had been entombed in a sarcophagus by the demons, back to Mars to serve as a fail-safe in case the demons were to invade the base, with or without Olivia's help."

This makes it sound like eventually the Doomslayer was overwhelmed but not killed. "Trapped" in Hell. The Doom 64 ending states that he decided to "remain" in Hell, not that he was trapped. It's a case of choosing vs being forced.

Why would the Demons entomb him successfully instead of killing him? Beats me. Maybe some kind of Demonic "spiritual" belief of their own that someone such as the Doomslayer who kills them in hordes and is able to defeat their "titans" are not simply killed, they believe they should be entombed.

That's just speculation since I don't think there is a written account of what actually happens to the Doomslayer between 64 and 2016. It just makes sense to me that the Demons would have something to do with him being entombed. Doomguy doesn't strike me as the type to say "I'm done, time to rest." You know? I mean we know, there's always more Demons...