Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
doom3

HD Monitor Help

Just yesterday, I got a Compaq Presario monitor and whenever I run any games that are 3D like doom 3 or quake or even my screensaver, I see a bunch of horizontal lines across the screen and the quality is crappy. I think it might be because the quality of the monitor is so good that it shows any defects. I screwed around with the color settings for a few hours but nothing makes a difference. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it?

Here is a pic of my screensaver - http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screensaver0cl.jpg

is it a flat panel or a CRT?
although they are getting better, most 'normal' priced flat panels have crappy resolution.(60 framerate cap and a poor dot pitch -- digital doesn't have dot pitch, but you know what I mean).

try changing your resolution settings and gfx card settings... and perhaps turn on/off vsync, etc...

just some suggestions...

Update your video card drivers. More importantly, if it's an LCD, run games in the panel's native resolution if possible. (I doubt 1024x768 is your panel's native resolution.) This avoids making the LCD scale the image up. Generally, scaling makes the image quality look much worse.

I have a problem with my monitor as well, but it's not a flat panel. Just a regular 18 inch dell monitor. There is a greenish tint to the screen, at times more defined than others, and horizontal lines, but they're not going completely straight across, kinda slanted.

If you're using an analog VGA connection, use DVI digital instead if you can. The image quality is usually scores better when using a digital connection.

Regarding monitors, I was considering buying an LCD one, but decided first to try how vanilla doom looks on it. Well, it looked quite horribly on all the 3 monitors tested. That wasn't very surprising, but there was one more thing: on all the monitors, I was bombed back to OS when trying to enter the "Options" menu. Does anyone know why this happens?

It has nothing to do with the lcd monitor, I assure you :P

Anything too far under an lcd monitor's native resolution looks pretty terrible, so yeah they aren't good for the original doom. I don't mind though since I usually play a port at 1280x1024 :P

SlayeR said:

It has nothing to do with the lcd monitor, I assure you :P

That's what I tend to think, too. But all those monitors were on different computers with different Windows versions. Hmm, I think I need to test that again, this time trying both on LCD and CRT monitors. Maybe there was something with the default.cfg file, but I copied the one I use on my system. Anyway, I'll just try again.

I never really cared for LCD's, as I am a graphic artist.
The image quality is not as good as a tube monitor.
I love my sony trinitron. The only thing with tubes is the VLF emissions, which are gonna ruin my brain and eyesight someday.

I'm pissed off now. After I restarted my comp, the lines came back as shitty as ever.

LCD user here, saying never had a prob with it. It looks fine to me, and, yes, I have used a CRT monitor with this comp, and I noticed no notable drop in quality.