32 members have voted

1. 1. Australian or English muffins?

• Australian
    • English
    • There\'s a difference?
    • I hate muffins

Creaphis said:

On the plus side, you'll get to experience the new treat of "bignose burgers."

I googled this, and found remarkably little information relating to anything "bignose" that involved China. Or anything really.

However I did find this article that reviews a game called "Big Nose's American Adventure", which came out on cassette at about the same time as Wolfenstein 3D. It supports colors (4 at least), and it looks nearly as good as something that looks... well... slightly better than it.

Man, if this is any indication, Wolfenstein was waaaay ahead of it's time.

Kyka said:

I googled this, and found remarkably little information relating to anything "bignose" that involved China. Or anything really.

Hm. Perhaps I'm out of date with my knowledge of foreign racial generalization terminology.

Without sounding like I am making some racist comment (racism in any form disgusts me), isn't the crude stereotype of big noses used in a derogatory way towards Jewish people?

I don't get the reference to China.

Kyka said:

Big Nose's American Adventure

A speccy game? With color clash too, no kidding! Sounds like one of the last good ones though.

Kyka said:

(racism in any form disgusts me)

So I guess you wouldn't appreciate the joke about Hitler's Tetris, or the Bronx/Harlem funeral.

Maes said:

A speccy game? With color clash too, no kidding! Sounds like one of the last good ones though.

Heh! Yup. The right emulator (or a cassette deck with a USB port!!) and away you go.

So I guess you wouldn't appreciate the joke about Hitler's Tetris, or the Bronx/Harlem funeral.

I meant that post in terms of peoples attitudes, when they genuinely see themselves as superior to people of other races. Man I hate that... not because I have been a victim of it or anything... I'm just ur average white Anglo male, but just coz people who hold those attitudes are usually really crap to be around and cause trouble for everyone and it's just the total opposite of the "goodness" that I see in most people I meet...

*stops before philosophising sets in...

Stuff like Hitler's tetris (imo at least) is harmless enough. I lol'd when I saw it. Haven't seen the Bronx/Harlem funeral that you are referring to, so can't say about that.

Kyka said:

Stuff like Hitler's tetris (imo at least) is harmless enough. I lol'd when I saw it. Haven't seen the Bronx/Harlem funeral that you are referring to, so can't say about that.

How many niggas does it take to perform a funeral in Bronx/Harlem?

Six. Four to carry the casket, and two to carry the boombox, yo.

Yeah. I didn't realise you were referring to a joke, I thought it might refer to a youtube video of some harlem locals doing something stoopid...

...or something

See I would kinda argue that this joke is not overtly racist. It is more making fun of a certain stereotype than it is genuinely insulting to black people.

'Course I wouldn't recommend that you tell jokes like this in Harlem. They may mot appreciate the difference. :P

Kyka said:

'Course I wouldn't recommend that you tell jokes like this in Harlem. They may mot appreciate the difference. :P

...unless of course it's a nigga telling the joke to other niggas, in which case they'll highfive each other or whatever hip-hop stereotypes dictate for 'homey diggery'. Talk about double standards... "Only a nigga can call another nigga a nigga cuz he's also a nigga. 'nderstand 'm sayin', muthafuccah?"

Maes said:
Talk about double standards...

I'd say there's a touch of racism in your focus on their supposed hypocrisy. Anyone who understands racism knows that once racist profiling is present it is internal as well as external. Even when most racial boundaries break down noticeably race-related stereotypes and other imagery related to racism doesn't just go away; it's mostly taken in a different light.

Kyka said:
It is more making fun of a certain stereotype than it is genuinely insulting to black people.

Racism is all about stereotypes, so that does not sound very convincing. You'd have to see in what situation such a joke is played, to see how racist or offensive it may come off.

myk said:

Anyone who understands racism knows that once racist profiling is present it is internal as well as external.

Well said.

The joke wasn't offensive to me personally. But that doesn't mean that I would go around telling it. I guess the answer is to know yourself well enough to know whether you are simply seeing irony or humor in a situation, or whether you are subtly (even internally) putting someone else down, putting them beneath yourself by telling (or partaking) in a joke. And having the empathy and the social understanding to understand its effects on those around you.

Here. Have a muffin.

You'd have to see in what situation such a joke is played, to see how racist or offensive it may come off.

So humor has a context? Really? Seriously? Nooooooooo. Get outta town. :P

Creaphis said:

This last page of posts is funny when you remember that this thread is about muffins.

The sexual innuendo will have to wait - I'm looking forward to trying some of this stuff!

GreyGhost said:

The sexual innuendo will have to wait - I'm looking forward to trying some of this stuff!
[image]

Probably WWII surplus.