Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_Dweedle

A Wad I made in a Day

Im testing out Community Chest 4 wads texture resources so heres a Quick Basic Speed fight sorta level for Doom 2(Needs Boom to work)

File size is big because it contains all of the Community chest 4 textures.. didn't know how to make it smaller.. sorry about that.

Give me your Feedback on what I can improve on.

heres the Download Link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2ba10b2d91b32e2e0f83d91f6dff7c38093c9dd27d13d2f85be6ba49b5870170

Too bright overall and was there even any variation in light levels? STARTAN textures next to other more detailed things looks odd and 94ish. Overall interior detailing repeats too much. Try break up your walls with something different every 256 or so.

It's very "blocky" in some parts and then features too many circles, so it feels like it was made in two parts or by two people. Also, this is just my opinion, but I think circular parts in Doom should have a bit of an angularity to them, it's part of the Doom look. I try stick to a limit of 6 verticies per 90 degrees, using less if i can. Though I guess it depends on what sort of map you're going for.

Flow's not the best, lots of hitscanners to kick your ass then lots of cacos etc but the potential to run out of ammo unless you rush them, which you unfortunately find out too late.

Couldn't find the secret.

Would be nice if you could post a few pictures, just so i have an idea of what i'll be downloading. |:

It's not a bad map, but the balance of ammo and health isn't very good (not enough of either) and more importantly there are too many places where the player has no cover from hitscan attacks. Also, with the stairs after the red door...keep in mind that having to fight hordes of monsters from the top of stairs is generally awkward and therefore not a lot of fun. You might consider moving/deleting the monsters right at the base of the stairs, so the player has the opportunity to get down into the room before fighting rather than having to do have the killing from a spot where they can barely see what they're shooting at.

The detail work, I agree, was a little strange in places. The best example that comes to my mind right now is in the first room, where the STARTAN texture and that gray wire texture directly border each other. You need some sort of transition between the two, otherwise it looks ugly.

Also, as Super Jamie points out, you should have more light variation. As it is, everything is too bright.

Super Jamie said:

Too bright overall and was there even any variation in light levels? STARTAN textures next to other more detailed things looks odd and 94ish. Overall interior detailing repeats too much. Try break up your walls with something different every 256 or so.

It's very "blocky" in some parts and then features too many circles, so it feels like it was made in two parts or by two people. Also, this is just my opinion, but I think circular parts in Doom should have a bit of an angularity to them, it's part of the Doom look. I try stick to a limit of 6 verticies per 90 degrees, using less if i can. Though I guess it depends on what sort of map you're going for.

Flow's not the best, lots of hitscanners to kick your ass then lots of cacos etc but the potential to run out of ammo unless you rush them, which you unfortunately find out too late.

Couldn't find the secret.

Secrets in the toxic pit area. theres a small deep water part with a double barrel shotgun.. should beable to see the top of the gun..

Anyways thanks for the Criticitism.. I have always had trouble with Light levels and Ammo Health placement.. I need to improve on that alot more.. ive been playing alot of Pwads recently to try improve my Overall gameplay but all its done is made me addicted to making circular sectors and Heaps of zombiemen heh...

David_Dweedle said:

Secrets in the toxic pit area. theres a small deep water part with a double barrel shotgun.. should beable to see the top of the gun..

Anyways thanks for the Criticitism.. I have always had trouble with Light levels and Ammo Health placement.. I need to improve on that alot more.. ive been playing alot of Pwads recently to try improve my Overall gameplay but all its done is made me addicted to making circular sectors and Heaps of zombiemen heh...

Keep going, I'm hardly a master level designer myself.

Don't forget that there is literally no way to avoid hitscan attacks. Even the most seasoned Doom veteran would have no hope in a nuts-style map full of zombiemen.

Super Jamie said:

Keep going, I'm hardly a master level designer myself.

Don't forget that there is literally no way to avoid hitscan attacks. Even the most seasoned Doom veteran would have no hope in a nuts-style map full of zombiemen.

I didn't even know Zombiemen were Hitscanners till today heh. I thought Hitscanners meant Chaingunners and Spidermasterminds..

Would Shotgun Dudes be hitscanners to?

David_Dweedle said:

I didn't even know Zombiemen were Hitscanners till today heh. I thought Hitscanners meant Chaingunners and Spidermasterminds..

All monsters hurting you without projectiles are hitscanners.

David_Dweedle said:

Of course. Anyone who fires a non-projectile is a hitscanner. Former humans, former sergeants, heavy weapons dudes, spider mastermind. Your pistol, shotgun, SSG and chaingun are also hitscan weapons.

Code-wise hitscans are always deadly accurate, however the game also adds randomisation in for game balance. Ostensibly because zombies can't shoot straight, and a chaingun is a slightly scatter-fire weapon anyway in the case of the hwdude/spider and your #4 weapon.

The first shot of your chaingun is always accurate, so you can chaingun snipe across large distances and always be on target.

I believe the melee weapons (fist, chainsaw, as well as scratches, and bites) are a short-range implementation of the hitscan code. To you it looks like a chainsaw because of the graphics, to the game it's just a rapidfire gun with really really short shot distance.

I don't know if they include the randomisation code, but they're used at such short range anyway I don't think it would matter.

Edit: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Hitscan

Super Jamie said:

Of course. Anyone who fires a non-projectile is a hitscanner. Former humans, former sergeants, heavy weapons dudes, spider mastermind. Your pistol, shotgun, SSG and chaingun are also hitscan weapons.

Code-wise hitscans are always deadly accurate, however the game also adds randomisation in for game balance. Ostensibly because zombies can't shoot straight, and a chaingun is a slightly scatter-fire weapon anyway in the case of the hwdude/spider and your #4 weapon.

The first shot of your chaingun is always accurate, so you can chaingun snipe across large distances and always be on target.

I believe the melee weapons (fist, chainsaw, as well as scratches, and bites) are a short-range implementation of the hitscan code. To you it looks like a chainsaw because of the graphics, to the game it's just a rapidfire gun with really really short shot distance.

I don't know if they include the randomisation code, but they're used at such short range anyway I don't think it would matter.

Edit: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Hitscan

neat info. this will effect my future maps with monster placement.

Honestly read as much about the Doom engine as you can. Monsters, weapons, attacks, items, bugs, everything. The wiki is a great source of info.

Yeah, and it's pretty interesting too. I used to just spend time browsing it and reading the entries, because I'm nerdy like that.