Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Does "Argent D'Nur" mean something?

I know it's an old thread, but strangely I couldn't find anything about the name of this level in the internet. So, here are my two cents for anyone who would search it after me.

As a Hebrew speaker, I know that "Di-Nur" ("די-נור") comes from Aramaic and it means "of fire".

In day to day Hebrew, we use Di-Nur as a part of a phrase that means fireworks.

What I can also tell you is that "Di-Nur" appears in the Bible.

It appears in the phrase "Nahar Di-Nur" - River of Fire (Book of Daniel 7:10). It's in a part where Daniel tells about his vision of the four beasts.

From brief reading, there are some interpretations that think that this river is a part of hell, where all of the wicked get punished by pouring its waters (fires?) on their heads.

I guess that maybe it has to do something with that interpretation because if we take it literally, "Argent\Silver of fire" still sounds strange.

I'm not that fluent in the lore of doom or the Christian interpretation of the bible, so I don't know if there is anything more to that.

These were my two cents on the subject. If anybody has something to add, I'd like to hear it.

It's not supposed to mean anything, because ID didn't bring in any low-key Tolkienic linguists developing a language to them. It's to give Hell dimensions a sense of culture, because there was this civilization of Argent Humans in the lore. 

On 5/3/2019 at 7:45 AM, SamuelNMEvander said:

It's not supposed to mean anything, because ID didn't bring in any low-key Tolkienic linguists developing a language to them. It's to give Hell dimensions a sense of culture, because there was this civilization of Argent Humans in the lore. 

I'm not so sure, he might be onto something. Kadingir Sanctum (KÁ.DINGIR.RAKI) means "Gate of God" in Sumerian. The name of a track, DAKHMA, means Towers of Silence in Persian. It is the Zoroastrian burial practice of letting the body rot in a Tower of Silence, to be eaten by birds so the soul could enter the afterlife. It is likely that Id are drawing inspiration not only from Christianity but also from Hebrew, Islamic, Mesopotamian and generally ancient oriental lore which makes sense because there is a lot of overlap.

According to Witchipedia, "Silver is a great conductor of energy, including magic. Any stone set in silver will be amplified and its energy more easily directed." So perhaps Argent is not specifically silver but a metaphor for a conductor or hell energy which makes sense because destroying those conductors (the Wraiths) is the objective of the final mission. 

Edited by DooM_RO

What I'm gonna say doesn't have much sense but I think there are people who are right here. I've been thinking about this too much even I got to the conclusion that Argent D'Nur means: "Money Money"

Argent= silver, D'Nur= denarius, dinero/plata (color) in Spanish.

But It might mean "Silver of Fire" given that both Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal plots have hidden meanings: Foundry, Argent, Crucible..etc even the tree of prophecies in Kadingir Sanctum, the hologram in Doom Eternal are telling us what will happen and Khan Maykr has something to do with it.

Argent D'Nur/Silver of Fire, aka: Land of the Gods, was the ingredient for Hell to merge both realms but how they did it?? They key is the Crucible. A cricible is a tool you use to melt metals and make them into one, right?? But in this case the Crucible is the key to melt/merge realms into one... 

"The power held within the Crucible will punish man-born and demon kin alike. It will crush the divide. It will corrupt all realms. It will create the monster. It must never be found."

"If you continue, you will bring down the Heaven's wrath!"

Here is the Heaven's wrath and the possible Call of the Ages mentioned in Doom 2016... and the rise of The Icon of Sin.

Silver of fire doesn't have any meaning in English but maybe the foundry is a representaion of molten metals or in this case universes.

Edited by Gerardo194