Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
theycallmefog

No textures - need some help

Hi!

I'm a new mapper and i run into a little bit of problem when i try to load my .wad to Gzdoom - the textures won't load. When i test run in the Doom Builder everything is fine. I added 2 resources: doom2.wad, and aaliens.wad. I learnt the basics like making doors, switches, portals, even 3d floors, etc... Now i wanted to test some custom textures using the Ancient Aliens wad (because it has some awesome stuff in my opinion) and the textures are just white-blue squares. Pls check screenshots and let me know if you need more info to help me out. Thank you!

dbuildertextures.png

gzdoomnotextures.png

When you test your WAD through Doom Builder, the program automatically tells GZDoom about all those files you added to the resources list. However, when you start up your map outside of GZDoom, it won't know about those resource files unless you tell it. If you're running GZDoom on the command line, then you can use "-file path/to/your/ancient/aliens.wad path/to/your/own.wad" to tell GZDoom to load both your own WAD you're working on as well as an ancient aliens file. If you're running GZDoom through a launcher, then there should be an option in the interface to add your resource files to the list of files to load.

Thank you, that explains a lot. Is there any option/setup to load the aliens' textures to my wad? I usually just drag and drop wads to gzdoom i want to play. I'm looking for a way to make it simple.

Ancient Aliens uses their own PLAYPAL and COLORMAP lumps. So you will run into trouble with the DOOM2 weapons sprites.

Spoiler

9e7nWNr.png

Load aa-tex.wad into Slade3 and convert each texture/flat into png truecolor format so they retain the palette and save as a new map, perhaps as aa-png.wad. It's a bit messy but it can be done. And before saving as the new resource wad, but after all conversions, you can delete the PLAYPAL and COLORMAP lumps, since they there are no longer needed.

Spoiler

4W1jV67.png

Addendum:

If you only use a few of the aa-png.wad textures you can copy/paste them into your own map.

Edited by Kappes Buur : added screenshots and Addendum

2 hours ago, theycallmefog said:

Thank you, that explains a lot. Is there any option/setup to load the aliens' textures to my wad? I usually just drag and drop wads to gzdoom i want to play. I'm looking for a way to make it simple.

This resource might help. It contains Ancient Aliens resources in a more organized package intended for reuse like you're doing. Check the readme, open up the downloaded WADs and your own WAD in Slade and start by copypasting things around and seeing what happens:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/combos/aa-tex

Some related resources and tutorials:

https://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Custom_textures_tutorial_(SLADE)

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Adding_custom_textures

https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Adding_custom_textures

5 hours ago, theycallmefog said:

I usually just drag and drop wads to gzdoom i want to play. I'm looking for a way to make it simple.

Well, you can select both the wad and the texture pack, and then drag and drop them both together on GZDoom.

Another thing you can do is use SLADE to edit your wad, add a GAMEINFO lump to it, in which you put the line:

LOAD = aa-tex.wad

So GZDoom will know to always automatically look for a file named aa-tex.wad and load it whenever you load your file.