Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snark

FIRST TIMER MAP PACK

Yo

Been wanting to give this whole "make doom map" thingy a try for a decade and a bit, lockdown finally gave me an excuse.

So:

- 7  continuous maps

-Tested in GZDoom

-Resources used : Doom 2 IWAD plus some textures/music from sunlust and sunder (praise 'em...), custom title/intermission screens

-Difficulty: not too hard, a couple of potentially challenging rooms, difficulty settings NOT implemented YET, tested with pistol start, continous play makes it easier

-Length: medium/longish, between 70 and 200 monsters per map, 10 to 25 minutes  long if you don't get too lost.

-gameplay: quite linear, 'cause no foreplanning, otherwise pretty varied. NO jumping or crouching, freelook is cool.

I'll be adding bits and bobs as time goes one, aiming for 10 maps

Tell me what you think

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11tD0GxMmSU_DPWhqkXA8U2WZwq6ilLqb/view?usp=sharing

sludgecaves1.png.5e1b2e36a7ebf78e0301b55198938e57.pnggutmachine2.png.89ced0d94cea0a2eb9a2e7f7e79cf74b.pngTsaantch1.png.535f8354bb64bc2276e9de1c9dc5794b.pngfleshgod1.png.3472c6fc18238cb91b88b0619f82f3c1.pnggutmachine4.png.a944c65277adefdc6ebdb9d55562ff8a.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200511_043110.png.fa306e61397f3d4abff8e15096072500.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200511_043334.png.bb4427288191a2b5a4720137ed48a95b.png

Edited by boojum snark

Really digging those screenshots, always been a fan of that dark gothic look. The 4th screenshot in particular sold me!

Hell yeah man this is what I'm talking about. I love these little amateur (no offense I mean this nicely!) passion projects the Doom community whips up. Don't get me wrong I love mega-wads like Ancient Aliens and DWTID etc but theres something about the feel wads like these give off that is just so fun. 
Few texture glitches here and there and you have a thing for mazes but who cares its your WAD and it was hella fun. Keep it up

A set of 5 maps with some really interesting level designs. The detailss of the caves for MAP02 is brilliant and the Gothic-industrial theme of MAP03 really stands out well. :)

Personally I think MAP01 could do with being a bit easier and MAPS 2 and 3 are much easier to deal with, even the big slaughter-esque section at the end wasn't too bad since I didn't waste the megasphere straight away.

Also I disagree saying this is short-medium in length, 10-20 minutes per map is easily long-extra long in terms of length.

8 hours ago, boojum snark said:

pretty easy by today's standards (probably somewhere between TNT and plutonia)

I wouldn't call this easy (at least for HMP, can't say how it is for easy/hard difficulties) as I'd class this closer to Hexen difficulty, but with less slaughterers and more archviles.

Cheers mates, glad you had fun. I'll probably keep adding bits and bobs on to it, I'd like to get to maybe 15 maps in 3 episodes.

12 hours ago, Bushpig2dope said:

I love these little amateur (no offense I mean this nicely!) passion projects the Doom community whips up. Don't get me wrong I love mega-wads like Ancient Aliens and DWTID etc but theres something about the feel wads like these give off that is just so fun. 

I know just what you mean. Amateur projects might not be as beautiful or clean as the big pro megawads but I find they tend to have more personnality, and we all know that goes a long way. Kinda like the difference between a big epic expensive A movie and a  cool small budget B one. Going Down is the one I find manages to do both.

10 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Personally I think MAP01 could do with being a bit easier and MAPS 2 and 3 are much easier to deal with, even the big slaughter-esque section at the end wasn't too bad since I didn't waste the megasphere straight away.

Also I disagree saying this is short-medium in length, 10-20 minutes per map is easily long-extra long in terms of length.

I wouldn't call this easy (at least for HMP, can't say how it is for easy/hard difficulties) as I'd class this closer to Hexen difficulty, but with less slaughterers and more archviles.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to judge the difficulty of one's own maps. Plus I'm going through Sunlust for the first time on HMP and taking a beating, so I guess my notion of "difficult is a little warped at the moment. As for length, my personnal view is "short" for 10 mn and under,"medium"for 10-20 and "long" for 20 to 30, so...yYeah you're probably right, medium-long then. They just feel much shorter after spending so much time on them...

Anyways, thanks yer all.

Added a  6th map, a short one. Also  fixed textures/bugs and added secrets to the previous levels and redid a bit the end of map05, now causes death on exit, thanks Austinado for the playthrough and comments , so map 06 is pistol start, just warp there if you wanna see it.