Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
guru

vertical light gradients on walls

Guru, I finally got a chance to open up your example wad in an editor. At first I couldn't figure out how you got the sector references from multiple dummy sectors while retaining a single sector reference for your pit. (I had forgotten about m8's idea of overlapping linedefs with duplicate vertices.) Finally I did an error check, saw the duplicate vertices, and realized how you'd done it.

Very effective vertical light gradients, and quite a clever way to do it.

I'm not too sure what engine Guru did this example WAD in -- ZDoom? Whatever it is, DOOM2.EXE does not recognize it -- but I can assure any interested parties that this effect does work flawlessly under DOOM2.EXE, per the demo level that I sent to him.

Guru, might you upload the demo WAD that I sent you for the rest of the world to see?

ReX, I am pleased to know that you enjoy the effect. I've pieced together several 'demos' over the years using this effect, and there's no limit to what an imaginative person can do with it. In one such demo, I've constructed a gallows, complete with bodies hanging from it, lit from beneath by flaming barrels. The gallows itself is constructed with a 32x16 texture and, if I do say so myself, looks incredible -- and even runs under DOOM2.EXE.

M8. said:

I'm not too sure what engine Guru did this example WAD in -- ZDoom?

Yes, he used ZDooM. From what I can see, the only ZDooM specials he used were the Sector_TransferLight and open script (with text that credits you for the idea).

Do you have links to your other example wads?

ReX said:

Yes, he used ZDooM. From what I can see, the only ZDooM specials he used were the Sector_TransferLight and open script (with text that credits you for the idea).

Do you have links to your other example wads?

Hello, ReX.

The only example WAD for this particular effect that I am willing to share is currently in Guru's possession. All other 'levels' that I have displaying this effect reach far beyond the criteria of being an
'example' and into the realm of 'usable architecture' -- and again, I stress that they are for DOOM2.EXE. I am hoping that, as Guru was able to upload a ZDoom WAD displaying this effect, he will upload the WAD that I sent to him.

Regarding your query as to other example WADs by me, I have no other WADs in my /temp folder that are specifically set aside as examples. I will, however, continue to monitor the Editing forum and create examples as needed.

Best,
M.

This is pretty cool. If I think on it I may put this in ZooM to add more lighting effects, with a thanks to both of you of course.

uploaded M8s's examaple here: http://amberfisharts.com/doom/spark.wad

it's a wonderful idea and I will use it a lot with light gradients up to a sky ceiling. but I'm thinking of some other effects as well.

sorry for using ZDOOM features were they are not required at all but the editor (ZETH) I'm using can only create hexen maps. DETH ist just a mayor pain in the ass.

btw think you could explain it briefly nightmare?? there seem to be some problems with it right? (eg the surrounding?)

guru said:

btw think you could explain it briefly nightmare?? there seem to be some problems with it right? (eg the surrounding?)

If Nick NiGHTMARE needs, wants, or craves an educational hand in this matter, he has but to ask and I shall answer. As it now stands, I am unclear as to what the problem Nick is encountering based upon your post, Guru.

Nick? Reply to some of my private messages, or send one anew, you old sod. Your ol' mate wants to have a word with you.

Best,
M.

I don't see Nick having a problem with this. He merely suggested using it in conjunction with his translucent flat trick.