Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, I had a megawad idea today called 13 Monsters. The idea is you're only allowed to use 13 monsters in your map and they have to be 13 DIFFERENT monster types while keeping the map as interesting as possible. If anyone wants to do this, respond to this post.

Here's my map:

It's intentionally open spaced. Tell me what you think.

EDIT: Better version. Added light variation and slightly changed monster placement.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/i0x9lrd4ber2n59/13Monsters.wad

The idea reminds me of 13 Ghosts. I'll have to check this out in a bit and maybe take you up on your offer.

god I hope you don't make a megawad of these...

You should focus on making good maps before trying gimmicks like "13 different monsters." Because, honestly, this map sucked. None of the 13 monsters provided an interesting battle. The trees everywhere were really annoying, as was the crusher hallway. By the way that arachnotron was no threat at all - I just stood in place shooting it until it died.

Open maps tend to require more monsters in order to put pressure on the player. Of course some monsters are more powerful, so you need less of them (100 zombiemen are nothing compared to 25 mancubi). But your map was so open that I could run past all of the monsters. And to top it all off, it looked like total shit. All the towering walls were decorated with...nothing. You also had a crusher against a wall that wasn't unpegged, and the exit is just an untextured wall.

Sorry if I'm being harsh, I just think you're wasting your time trying to do this 13 monster idea. It's a cool idea, but it's going to require an acute knowledge of monster placement, and you still need to work on your basic mapping

Okay, thanks for the input. I wasn't going to make the entire megawad myself though. I guess I shouldn't try stuff like this yet as is this is probably an advanced technique. I don't think I need to work on "basic" mapping skills though. As I'm not a "noob" anymore. Have you played my "Sheol" map?

No, I haven't played Sheol

I did find 1000 screams which is better but still has a lot of room for improvement, both visually and in gameplay

I don't mean "basic" as in "you need to figure out how to make a functioning door." I just mean everything that's not considered "advanced." Advanced would mean using modern source port features, vanilla tricks, creating insanely huge maps, etc. Basic means, can you create a map that looks good and is fun to play. And that it something all mappers, of all skill levels, should constantly be trying to improve. I think even some of the most experienced mappers here spend so much time on advanced features that they forget about intelligent monster placement or interesting layouts

That was my first level. Go play "Sheol's Spiraling Descent" here's a link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/crcse3rmyledjbe/Sheol%27s%20Spiraling%20Descent.wad

Or the more insane doom 2 version:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lbmd7myjcc0kre2/Sheol%27s%20Ludicrous%20Descent.wad

Pretty sure this is my best level yet. Plus it's my newest level.

im making a wad thats set in a sewer (its a gimmick i know) and at one point i had 13 or so monsters in there and it was a pain in the ass! My friend played it and attempted to bash my head with the keyboard! The point is: Tight maps are the only ones (i believe) that are challenging with under 20 monsters.

As if the upcoming apocalypse wasn't enough, now we have to deal with constant 13 monsters per scene.