Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GRAU

RDVOX - Voxel/graphics pack oriented to use in Software renderers (Q/L/G/ZDoom, Delphidoom)

You've got far more patience than I have, heh.  Exceptional work.  I'm glad someone else kept it going.   :)

Oh god, you are doing the monsters as well? I would love to see how that looks.

On 8/26/2020 at 2:22 AM, elend said:

Oh god, you are doing the monsters as well? I would love to see how that looks.

Yes, i'm trying to do that) Actually even I does not know what what we will have in the end)))

Hi everyone, who still belive in RDVOX. I would like to show one of voxels we will have in RDVOX-0.41

ampga1.png.5607a5522b8d44aae509764edafaaead.pngampga2.png.83de697eb2c06fb218e0798cb364554c.png

On 8/26/2020 at 12:04 AM, DooMAD said:

You've got far more patience than I have, heh.  Exceptional work.  I'm glad someone else kept it going.   :)

Thank's DooMAD, if i hadn't seen your prety voxels once a long time ago - i wouldn't start this project ever

Oh man, this is awesome. I do still believe! Good job and kudos on continuing working on it.

Oh, i am stiull continuing work over this project, but it runs wery slow.. working over pinky demon looks like the dificultiest from all i have done before and i still have a very little time for it. I am thinking on opening a "support the project" to give me some resources for worki on a free project. Butt i have never worked with donations, and i dont know how to do this right. I even don't know if I have the right to offer anyone to support an unfinished freeware project.

So it's interesting for me, what does everyone of You all think about it.

991616546_.png.353e7ead650ab6665898f15d8564e5d5.png

This is impressive. I really liked your Q2 version of the computer area map power-up.
Do you think you could possibly make that sprite available? Just for use in a more 2D vanilla fashion. Either with "press F1" or maybe with "press TAB".

1950130797_.png.ed7b8fb96bf0bb686ba5ccf6f94f2991.png

Hi all. The progress over Pinky demon is too slow so i decided to make some item/decoration voxels for 0.41 - It is too long in development, and i belive that someone is waiting for a next version. So - how is such an improved version of hazmat suit for You, guys? I am thinking about a gas mask for it or may be about a Doomguy's helmet instead of gas mask, but i want to know yur oppinion - wouldn't it spoil the image of this item?

On 3/28/2021 at 3:31 PM, Mr. Kong said:

Do you think you could possibly make that sprite available? Just for use in a more 2D vanilla fashion. Either with "press F1" or maybe with "press TAB".

Sorry but i do not have a 2d version of it.If you need - you may take a screenshot of this voxel, or may be convert somehow it to image - i accept the use of this voxel for creation a 2d version.

Actually looks like DD_Voxel (DelphiDoom Voxel tool)  has something like an "export to sprites" function - try it - may be this is an easiest way:

Actually i am creating another one voxel, and then i will release a 0.41 version - it is gonna be a loooo-ong, but innovative version, in fact i continue this project when i have time:

RDVOX-041_STAKEGUY_Pre1.png

Another thing i want to bring with 0.41 - new gibbing system - gor 0.41 jyly imps and zombies gonna have quake-style gibbing effect, and may be later i will add gibs for "big guys", like hell knights or pinkies, revenants... i dont like to create long-time plans so - 0.41, one more body, 4-5 more gib voxels and some scripts. May be also new, original blood decals and bullet puffs. And thats all. Theoretically i wish to finish it till my birthday, but the date is secret, it is just summer)

Spoiler

328696184_.png.c262fde285d654c845300be9d0a74e35.png

412823890_.png.f1d7b42730d6cc78fa93d6d0542d1b1e.png

515089308_.png.e766eec3ee309d1b1516b4bc318f6680.png

Edited by GRAU : added an image, fixed a link

I started a work over a zombieman:

zomba.png.7323f25a5704cee1c33f6d893bda7fcb.pngzomba2.png.90cc4c8ee20eb275ff7fe445622d9e4c.png

It is primary needed to create head and leg/hand gibs for gib tests, but it is anyway a start of zombieman voxel)))

Here is a demo - how it may look:

Edited by GRAU : added a video

This is very interesting. I'm working on a map through ultimate doom builder universal gzdoom format. Will this work for zandronum.exe on software renderer? Map is being built for software render Zandronum.

Edit/also: maybe it will lag the map, I'd try anyway. Map at 3000+ sectors and 22,000 line defs. Sorta a thing I have to manage (upkeep). Voxels ment for smaller maps?

5 hours ago, rescue86k said:

Will this work for zandronum.exe on software renderer?

RDVOX (Zdoom version) works on any zdoom-based sourceports that have software. I don't know - does Zandronum support dynlights in software, but all others - yes. I specially use decorate scripting lang, not doomscript, for compatibility with classical zdoom and skulltag (if needed).

5 hours ago, rescue86k said:

Voxels ment for smaller maps?

Actually it depends on your hardware and screen resolution, but if you have not thousands of things on your map - this will not lag. Actually - i recorded the video on PENTIUM 4 3.0ghz in 640 x 480 - and as you see it is still playable, so 2-4 core system will run HD resolutions easily! If You want - You may try current, 0.41 beta version. The full RDVOX 0.41 is planned to release on July.

RDVOX-0.41D.zip

Hi all of you, who still wait a new version! And I really have some in progress - the "stakeguy" i am working on the free time of last months is near 55-60% ready - today i finished one leg, and gonna to finish another one too. Then i plan to look at top of body, and may be append a head that is not seen on the sprite:

stareg03.png

stareg01.png

stareg02.png

Edited by GRAU

Wow, this is amazing. I remember there being another voxel project for doom, but looks it like you are really dedicated here.

I've always wanted to experiment with voxels ever since I found out the original ZDoom supported them since 2012. It really does help make Doom feel more like a Build engine game.

I'm surprised you've been working on voxelising enemies too. That takes some real hard work since you have to factor in multiple angles of the sprite.

On 8/5/2021 at 2:01 PM, Nikku4211 said:

I've always wanted to experiment with voxels ever since I found out the original ZDoom supported them since 2012. It really does help make Doom feel more like a Build engine game. 

I'd say it helps doom to become more 3D withoutlose of it's original perfect style and atmosphere.  remember how i was impressed in 2014, when i found the site of TeamHellSpawn with screenshots of voxels, and their pack. That time i started my own experiments with voxels, evenstarted the horror project, that has 4 maps and tonns of my own textures and voxels now. I could not even dream that days about dynlights in software - i thought it is impossible for original doom renderer. But years past and now we have perfect software renderer in LZDoom and QZDoom - it saves the picture of original doom but adds really nice dynlights, and it works fast enough even on my old single-core notebooks in 800x600.

The news about dynlights in QZDoom gave me inspiration to start myown doom voxel/resource pack somewhere in 2018-2019. First i could not belive that i can make for example a lostsoul in voxel, or one of large decorations. t started like a small item/weapon voxelpack, that i used for my own needs - i recorded letsplays of Hellfire wad series with it...

But now i know - i want to continue, i want to voxelize all the decorations, and may be even voxelize monsters after that.

Thank you all for feedback - it givesme power to voxelize more and more thingsfromdoom. Actually ifinishedboth legs of staked zombie, and i am interested - where is its..left hand? we see the damaged right hand on the sprite, but does e still has the whole left hand of it is bitten off? tell me what do you think. Today i have improved the blood/shit pool under the stake. It is not symetric anymore. The next will be the head - i really plan to make the head thrown back tomorrow.

stakeguy1.png

stakeguy2.png

stakeguy3.png

12 hours ago, GRAU said:

I'd say it helps doom to become more 3D withoutlose of it's original perfect style and atmosphere. 

Yeah, that's what I mean, because Build has a similar (not identical, of course) style and atmosphere and yet it already felt more 3D than even Hexen. Games like Blood and Shadow Warrior had another reason why, and I'm glad to see that reason bleed over to the ZDoom family.

12 hours ago, GRAU said:

remember how i was impressed in 2014, when i found the site of TeamHellSpawn with screenshots of voxels, and their pack. That time i started my own experiments with voxels, evenstarted the horror project, that has 4 maps and tonns of my own textures and voxels now. I could not even dream that days about dynlights in software - i thought it is impossible for original doom renderer. But years past and now we have perfect software renderer in LZDoom and QZDoom - it saves the picture of original doom but adds really nice dynlights, and it works fast enough even on my old single-core notebooks in 800x600.

I was impressed, too. I also never would have thought dynamic lights (and polygonal 3D models!) would be possible under the Carmack renderer, especially as someone who is in the minority that loves the charm of the software renderer's Y-shearing.

12 hours ago, GRAU said:

Thank you all for feedback - it givesme power to voxelize more and more thingsfromdoom.

You're welcome. It's really cool to see this project continue where the previous 1 left off.

12 hours ago, GRAU said:

Today i have improved the blood/shit pool under the stake. It is not symetric anymore. 

Cool, though I think the brown stuff is actually also blood, just rusted since blood has metal in it.

12 hours ago, GRAU said:

The next will be the head - i really plan to make the head thrown back tomorrow.

I can't wait to get it.

The new voxel model update, I mean.

On 8/9/2021 at 12:39 AM, Nikku4211 said:

You're welcome. It's really cool to see this project continue where the previous 1 left off.

How it was named?

Cool, though I think the brown stuff is actually also blood, just rusted since blood has metal in it.

Interesting oppinion) I always thought it was some kind of guts or may be shit, or even ground with blood in it.

The new voxel model update, I mean.

i work over it. Having some difficulties with face, but i'll find the optimal sollution.

1114696793_.png.9c3fa45bbbc5bc5826a2eea45700baae.png

Oh, i remember TeamHellSpawn - i used to start with 'em with creation of candelabra, enhanced chaingun tem (with 6 instead of 4 barrels) and all high torch models with "active", scripted fire consisting of spawned each tick animated sprites. Btw, from those times torches were improved, the fire itself was re-pizelarted - i wanted to create unique sprite patterns for all three types, and i did it - one reason was that, i could not just change the color of basic, red fire sprites nto blue or green - in aaccurate way Red sprites were  most difficult due to specific doom palete and usage of yellow-orange-red color sets from palete. Despite all that i piwelarted an unique pattern for green red and blue, with different forms and even variations - each fire "particle" can jump to one of 2 or even 3 patterns somewhere in the 3rd or 4th frame, this helps to make fire more random. Yes, i still like that job)))

Anyway - after a while i started to record letsplays of vanilla/boom wad series "Hellfire", and i got an idea that i need more unique voxel pack. I always liked to create my own resources for my projects. So i decided to remove all teamhellspawn voxels from an actual for that time voxel pack version, and started to create items from the scatch - i used sometimes strip2vox utility, but sometimes (barrel, burning barrel) - i gone my own way - i created them from the basic sphere in Slab6. BTW - i use slab6, yes, and i like the way voxels are edited there - this is like a sculpture. It is slow but wery accurate tool. Its dufficult to use first times,  but perfect a bit latter. In time i started to re-voxel all items i thought - "oh - how much are those sprites!" But now items are done, and it is time to move to bodies and other "advanced" things i which i haven't seen yet in other voxpacks.

Well... "It was a long day, lets call that the night" (C. Doomgod from Rampage Doom)))

Looks like i have finished the staked up body:

Spoiler

Staked2.png.99bd67ebcc8d874d4d512ff94dd3f273.pngStaked3.png.5cc5f3a7ca7f3c4d86e3b654b05cc39e.png

heads.png.3db3354b7209bce9d9c55addd2087c27.pngStaked1.png.795750c44ec5b5eac0774b2cfd504031.png

The only thing i still need to finish before the 0.41 release - i need to make at least one frame of chainguy headgib and some kind of basic body gib. I also have improved a hang body  voxel. I have in plans to make a release on 25-26 of Aug 2021

Edited by GRAU

Version 0.41 for (Q/L)ZDoom and Skulltag/Zandronum - is out! You may get it here:

http://rdw.xp3.biz/RDVOX/RDVOX-0.41.zip

Or find it on the project page: rdw.xp3.biz

- Added new voxels for item "Infrared" (ampga.kvx, ampgb.kvx)
- Added new voxel for item "HazMat Suit" (Radiation-Shielding Suit?) (suita.kvx)
- Added new voxel for decoration "Dead on a stake" (stakeguy.kvx)
- Improved the voxel for decoration "Hanged Body 3" (hanged3.kvx)
- Implemented quake-style gibs for enemy "Zombieman", "ShotGay", "ChainGay", and the "DoomImp"

I highly recomend to use software renderer of LZdoom with "Display Options"->"software renderer"->"models" set to "OFF", because it affects on voxels Too, and render 'em as tonns of poligons, causing heavy drop of fps:

softrender.png.6ee2767bfcaae078b583e48327aabe84.png

Delphidoom version is under construction yet, but i plan to port all the changes there till 4 september

Just played Doom 1 in LZDoom with this pack, and it looks cool. The lamps fit right in. The explosive barrel looks weird, though.

I've also noticed non-voxel additions like the explosions, and the gib sounds.

Speaking of gibbing, I like the Quake-style gibs(though they remind me of Heretic). They were really fun.

On 8/28/2021 at 3:14 AM, Nikku4211 said:

Just played Doom 1 in LZDoom with this pack, and it looks cool. The lamps fit right in. The explosive barrel looks weird, though.

I've also noticed non-voxel additions like the explosions, and the gib sounds.

Speaking of gibbing, I like the Quake-style gibs(though they remind me of Heretic). They were really fun. 

Well, i plan to improve a lot gibbing - there is no blood on floor after gibbing now, but i plan to add it. also i want to add more "personal" gib types for every monster, so everybody could tell - which one was gibbed there, just looking on gibs remaining from the monster. I also think than i have to leave some of them for longer time or even till the end of the game - heads, big blod pool in the center, and may be large part of torso in this pool will give better impression when returning after some time to the place where some monsters were exploded.

On 8/28/2021 at 3:14 AM, Nikku4211 said:

The explosive barrel looks weird, though.

Oh, they are nearly the only model that i created "from the scratch" - i tried to make them sprite-like, but got problems - barrels on classic levels are usually all faced in one default side, and sometimes we get the situation when the side facing to player is dark, because it is oriented in wrong way, relative to the map. So i decided to draw them looking like the original but painted in my own way. May be i will change em once.

Did you like effects of explosions and fireballs? Or do you think - i have to make them voxeled too, looking extremely like vanilla sprites?

1 hour ago, GRAU said:

Did you like effects of explosions and fireballs? Or do you think - i have to make them voxeled too, looking extremely like vanilla sprites?

I liked the effects, I just thought it'd be weird to see them in what's supposed to mainly just be a voxel pack.

Well, i thought about that once, and i decided that RDVOX will be something more than only a VoxelPack. Some objects, like torches, are far easier to "improve" using a single static torchstick voxel, and a multisprite, additive fire on it, instead of creating 4 voxel frames, killing tonns of time to get the fire that will look 100% like original. I liked the effect i got, and i decided to use some decorate for fireballs too. I thought about a voxel core for each fireball effect, but due to specific algorithm of rendering voxels in software - i can not have a really coollooking voxel fireball, a can not show a yellow core in imps fireball that will look nice from any direction, so i used sprites. And now, when i have added the quake-style gibs - this is not only a voxel pack. Lets say it is a "graphic upgrade pack" that uses voxels. I know that i can put ove voxel into another in gzdoom opengl renderer or even in some versions of it's software (i have seen some gzdoom versions before, having software renderer that draws voxels in the same way as GL - each pixel becobes a cube and renders as 12 polygons) - and it really slows down the game on 2-3 core cpus and hangs it down on single core, so i do not like this kind of "soft" renderer. So i made 2x res sprites for soul and invis spheres instead of making a voxel sphere and putting a voxel face inside, like Reikal done allready. HBTW - his pack is really oriented for opengl type of renderer, but i belive that polygonal models look better in gl.

I prefer classic algorithm of voxel rendering (as sprites) and i do all i can to show that this old renderer can be prety good - i even changed a bit the palete to improve the rendering of blue and violete-colored dynamic lights.

9 hours ago, GRAU said:

Some objects, like torches, are far easier to "improve" using a single static torchstick voxel, and a multisprite, additive fire on it, instead of creating 4 voxel frames, killing tonns of time to get the fire that will look 100% like original.

Stuff like fire and spheres look better as sprites than as voxels or 3D models anyway so nice.

9 hours ago, GRAU said:

his pack is really oriented for opengl type of renderer, but i belive that polygonal models look better in gl.

Yeah, polygonal models are what hardware renderers are more oriented for.

What do you think about polygonal models in software? LZDoom's software renderer supports them(GZDoom removed them at around 4.3 or so due to development difficulties).

9 hours ago, GRAU said:

I thought about a voxel core for each fireball effect, but due to specific algorithm of rendering voxels in software - i can not have a really coollooking voxel fireball, a can not show a yellow core in imps fireball that will look nice from any direction, so i used sprites.

Yeah, it's a difficult stylistic choice.  I was having a similar struggle with stuff like the Soul Sphere.  It's meant to look like a face inside a sphere, but if you make a voxel version, it's more of a face wrapped around the surface of one part of a sphere.  Totally different aesthetic and doesn't work at all from most angles.  For a few certain things, sprites are simply more suitable.