Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Selaco; an original "boomer shooter" that runs on GZDoom

21 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

If the game came with it's own executable, then it's entirely possible/probable it's customised so likely no. If it works with that exe but not your exe then it's simply logical the exe it came with is doing something yours isn't.

That's what I suspected too - but I was thinking there may be some additional files that I need to copy over that I missed. The files the game came with looked all like vanilla GZDoom files to me but maybe those were modified?

The Steam version runs natively on Linux anyway so I'm not too concerned; if it only came with a Windows GZDoom executable I'd be more interested in getting it to run natively versus through e.g. Proton.

10 minutes ago, Individualised said:

That's what I suspected too - but I was thinking there may be some additional files that I need to copy over that I missed. The files the game came with looked all like vanilla GZDoom files to me but maybe those were modified?

The Steam version runs natively on Linux anyway so I'm not too concerned; if it only came with a Windows GZDoom executable I'd be more interested in getting it to run natively versus through e.g. Proton.

I have not played the game. Are there any PK3 files in the Selaco folder?

2 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

I have not played the game. Are there any PK3 files in the Selaco folder?

Apart from the IPK3 and the PK3s that usually come with GZDoom, nope.

2 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Is the executable still named GZDoom.exe?

I wouldn't know as I don't use Windows, but atleast for the Linux version the executable that comes with Selaco is named "Selaco_x86_64". Likely a custom compilation.

I had this installed a while ago, and I saw this so I figured I'd reinstall it to have a look. And yes, it does come with it's own unique .exe, Selaco.exe; it doesn't have a gzdoom.exe included in the download. So yeah, I don't think it's going to work with GZDOOM. If you try to load the "gzdoom.pk3" file it comes with using GZdoom.exe, and select (selaco) as your .iwad, you'll get this error: File C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Selaco Demo/gzdoom.pk3 is overriding core lump engine/commonbinds.txt.

6 hours ago, Individualised said:

Selaco does not run on Vanilla GZDoom, it has been modified.

17 hours ago, Individualised said:

Is there a way to run this on standalone GZDoom rather than the version of GZDoom that comes with the Steam shareware version? Running Selaco.ipk3 as an IWAD in GZDoom gets me this error: image.png.6820b1156d60771a65549114af4c2247.png

Hey there!

No, this is not going to work. Selaco uses a heavily modified version of GZDoom that better suits the needs of our game. After launch, I'm certain a number of our performance enhancements will be brought over to Stock GZDoom, but everything gameplay related will probably stay in our version of the branch since there is no reason for that to exist anywhere else.

Is there a specific reason why you would want to run Selaco on stock GZDoom? It's already based on fairly recent builds of the engine as we try to keep up to date with the development of the GZDoom crew!

9 hours ago, SelacoDev said:

Hey there!

No, this is not going to work. Selaco uses a heavily modified version of GZDoom that better suits the needs of our game. After launch, I'm certain a number of our performance enhancements will be brought over to Stock GZDoom, but everything gameplay related will probably stay in our version of the branch since there is no reason for that to exist anywhere else.

Is there a specific reason why you would want to run Selaco on stock GZDoom? It's already based on fairly recent builds of the engine as we try to keep up to date with the development of the GZDoom crew!

Yeah, that's what confused me. I misread this comment from @IndividualisedThe Steam version runs natively on Linux anyway so I'm not too concerned; if it only came with a Windows GZDoom executable I'd be more interested in getting it to run natively versus through e.g. Proton.

I read it as the Steam version was using a Windows executable, so they had to use a virtual machine to emulate Windows on Linux to play it. But that apparently isn't the case. So yeah, I'm missing something in this conversation. Because it's clear that Selaco has made significant changes to GZDoom (because that's what it's there for, it's an engine, not a port), so a standalone game wouldn't, or at least shouldn't, be GZdoom.exe compatible. Because they've done their own thing with it.

The only reason I wanted to do so was to centralise all of my GZDoom engine games. It's not a big deal/high priority thing at all so if it's something that can't be done then yeah I don't mind, it was just for organisation. Plus since I launch all of my GZDoom stuff from Steam now instead of using the GZDoom launcher it doesn't make too much of a difference anyway in terms of user experience, it's pretty much seamless.

Even if the Steam version was Windows only, which it's not, that wouldn't be a big deal either as the Windows version of GZDoom runs fine on Proton I believe (and therefore the Selaco Windows executable probably would too). Quite a few of my Steam games I run through Proton already. No VM required.

44 minutes ago, Individualised said:

The only reason I wanted to do so was to centralise all of my GZDoom engine games.

Just FYI increasing numbers of GZDoom-powered games are using their own builds of the engine.  For example Disdain, Darkadia, and Beyond Sunset are all planning to ship with bespoke builds.  There have been discussions about it for The Age of Hell too, IIRC.  So attempting to centralize everything might be a bit of a lost cause.

14 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Just FYI increasing numbers of GZDoom-powered games are using their own builds of the engine.  For example Disdain, Darkadia, and Beyond Sunset are all planning to ship with bespoke builds.  There have been discussions about it for The Age of Hell too, IIRC.  So attempting to centralize everything might be a bit of a lost cause.

Thanks for the heads up.