Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sectorslayer

Knee Deep Again - Episode 1 reimagined [WIP] (new map for test E1M6)

I loved all the maps, they really have that E1 feel.

Best of everything:

• Maps are very big, but you never get lost.
  • Fights are still being funny even if they are just made of imps shotgunners and zombiemen.
  • Really liked that puzzle before red key.

Someting you should do is disable jumping on (G)ZDoom

5 hours ago, Sectorslayer said:

Thanks for playing! I have seen a couple of  issues. Thankfully no big ones. The secret signpost being one of them. 

I was surprised how quickly you dealt with the Cyber. I beefed him up via dehacked to avoid this. At least that’s what I wanted. Updates incoming…

Thanks again 👍

Not sure. I did voxel doom but that should only be cosmetic. Sneaky hacking the cyber haha 

42 minutes ago, BedrockCastle said:

Great maps! I did notice this texture bug towards the end of E1M2, though.Screenshot_Doom_20221120_124053.png.b7dd93cb6cd15ab76109beeee99d56c0.png

Yep. Found that one too. There are even more issues with these early maps when you play them on Crispy. Guess GZDoom is an easy way to miss stuff. 😏

Bumping the thread, because this project is still running in the back of my head. Just too many things happening in life and everywhere. I just seem to not be able to make some Doom time.

I tried to build the E1M5 replacement. And while if have some ideas, I just can't find a way to express them properly. I even deleted a whole section because it did not have the desired Knee Deep theme. Something I've never done before. I don't have much time, so I have to map in between things for an hour or just fifteen minutes a day. Not enough to get my Doom vibes up at the moment. So I'm stuck with some experiments...

resized.gif.293f7edf00553db151a35592e98aefb7.gif

But I'm not giving up. Drawing lines and sectors - until it is done!

kda_e1m5.jpg.07c2577f2215da738aeaca7620ed30a3.jpgGood news! E1M5 progression is complete and has first been tested by @Clippy. Thanks! You will find the video of him breaking the map on his channel:
https://youtu.be/bGBZJPFKie4?si=oxguUlA9ClVi2PKZ Some of those bugs have already been addressed...

Since I'm away for quite a time, I will finish difficulty settings and minor things first thing next year. If you want to give it a Ultra Violence spin yourself, it is now included in the main WAD: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fl7VVhwEi6OprJlDTMpB7PIzDZZHmQrL/view?usp=sharing

Limit removing and tested on Crispy, it follows the suspense theme and includes a tiny bit of resource management. So turn down the light, put on the headphones and survive...

Happy holidays and happy dooming everyone!

Edited by Sectorslayer

As with all of your previous episode 1 maps, E1M5 oozes atmosphere and you've clearly got a deep understanding of what works in Ultimate Doom making the most of the weak opposition by attacking the player from all sides in various ways and sometimes with very little visibility. It all comes together in perfect harmony.

I got lost a few times, mostly due the fact, that I couldn't remember too well where I saw locked doors when I had to return to them with the relevant key. Not a big deal for me.

I felt like it was maybe time to do another video, so I chose your map. It doesn't end too well, but maybe you can get something out of watching this pathetic attempt! :D

11 hours ago, Chris Hansen said:

As with all of your previous episode 1 maps, E1M5 oozes atmosphere and you've clearly got a deep understanding of what works in Ultimate Doom making the most of the weak opposition by attacking the player from all sides in various ways and sometimes with very little visibility. It all comes together in perfect harmony.

Thank you for the kind words! E1M5 has always been my favorite map of Ultimate Doom. Especially because of the atmospheric MIDI. The map is basically built around the suspense theme.

I got lost a few times, mostly due the fact, that I couldn't remember too well where I saw locked doors when I had to return to them with the relevant key. Not a big deal for me.

As with all my previous episode 1 maps, this one also got a tiny bit too large. ;-) Just so that players can enjoy the horror a bit longer, of course. I attempted a bit more open layout, giving options. The yellow key area can be approached in two ways. Not an easy thing to balance.

I felt like it was maybe time to do another video, so I chose your map. It doesn't end too well, but maybe you can get something out of watching this pathetic attempt! :D

Thank you! It's always lovely to see someone blowing themself up in a hectic assault. :-) I got a few things and already fixed some...

3 hours ago, SportsterV90 said:

Unfortunately softlocked here:

Ah, ok, I can see what happened here. Thanks for reporting!

New project map up for playtesting! =====>>> kda_e1m6.wad.zip

e1m6.jpg.27b390889ef64f0b479e2ade80269373.jpg

-- Ultimate Doom, E1M6

I built it using Crispy Doom, but I have to recommend PrBoom ports, because the high number of monsters and items might trigger blockmap overflow.

Video recordings welcome!

Cheers,

Sectorslayer

Another nostalgia inducing memory trip with a few twists, this one was nice and short and luckily easier for me than the other outings - @thelamp visited me for this one - good times

Looked up that last secret in editor after, and wow - cheeky stuff bud lol

Still curious what you do next, you almost have a full episode on your hands!

Thanks for testing yet again! Yes, it's a short and snappy map - fitting the soundtrack. Couple of fixes and difficulty levels and it is ready to go into the complete WAD.

4 hours ago, Clippy said:

Still curious what you do next, you almost have a full episode on your hands! 

Next up will be Computer Station and Phobos Anomaly. And then it is done!

Given my net-Doom-time this will take month. But yeah...