Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ankha

Looking for the "cleanest" port of Doom 2 that compiles on Windows

Hello there,

Could anyone point me to a Doom 2 port that:

• has a game engine the closest to the Vanilla doom (that is that doesn't include a ton of game changes), basically that doesn't include compatibility levels other than 1.9
  • has a modern graphics engine / input handling (so I don't play in 320x200, even though I would if I had no other choices)
  • compiles on Windows.

There are tons of ports out there, and I wanted to study / alter the original doom out of curiosity.

I am no programmer but i think Crispy Doom is the port that most fulfills your criterion.

Chocolate and Crispy are probably your best bet there, since you seek a minimalist port.

39 minutes ago, Ankha said:

Hello there,

Could anyone point me to a Doom 2 port that:

• has a game engine the closest to the Vanilla doom (that is that doesn't include a ton of game changes), basically that doesn't include compatibility levels other than 1.9
  • has a modern graphics engine / input handling (so I don't play in 320x200, even though I would if I had no other choices)
  • compiles on Windows.

There are tons of ports out there, and I wanted to study / alter the original doom out of curiosity.

I have in store:

DJDoom is a reference implementation of the Linux Doom source vis-a-vis for Windows with DirectDrax (DX8). I say that one is as closest as you can go.

Crispy doom with all its option turned off except resolution (640x400), frame rate (60fps) and pixel smooth scaling (on). Widescreen (on) to taste.