Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thelamp

[MBF] πšƒπš‘πšŽ π™ΌπšŠπšπšŽπš—πšπšŠ πš‚πš™πš’πš›πšŽ - Now on idGames !!

Congrats on the release man! It's such a unique and interesting wad, you should be proud. I'm glad my little comments were encouraging!

Congratulations on the /idgames release! However, this version is failing to load in PrBoom+ and dsda-doom, outputting these errors:

R_InitTextures: Missing patch 600 in texture DOORFLES
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 486 in texture D1SCRN
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 487 in texture D1SCRN
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 488 in texture D1SCRN
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 489 in texture D1SCRN
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 490 in texture D1SCRN
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 487 in texture TSCRN2
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 487 in texture TSCRN3
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 488 in texture TSCRN4
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 489 in texture TSCRN5
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 490 in texture TSCRN6
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 489 in texture TSCRN8
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 580 in texture SHWNRED1
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 581 in texture SHWNRED2
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 580 in texture W15_4
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 581 in texture W15_5
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 600 in texture SKULVINE
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 694 in texture GRNOPPL
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 694 in texture NOPPLSIN

Other source ports I've tried (Woof, Eternity, GZDoom) are able to load the WAD but spit out similar warnings to the terminal/console.

Β 

I still have RC2 and that version's fine.

4 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

Congratulations on the /idgames release! However, this version is failing to load in PrBoom+ and dsda-doom, outputting these errors:

R_InitTextures: Missing patch 600 in texture DOORFLES
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 487 in texture D1SCRN
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 488 in texture D1SCRN
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 489 in texture D1SCRN
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 490 in texture D1SCRN
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 487 in texture TSCRN2
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 487 in texture TSCRN3
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 488 in texture TSCRN4
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 489 in texture TSCRN5
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 490 in texture TSCRN6
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 489 in texture TSCRN8
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 580 in texture W15_4
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 581 in texture W15_5
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 694 in texture GRNOPPL
R_InitTextures: Missing patch 694 in texture NOPPLSIN

Other source ports I've tried (Woof, Eternity, GZDoom) are able to load the WAD but spit out similar warnings to the terminal/console.

Β 

I still have RC2 and that version's fine.

Thanks! I had quite a bit of trouble scrubbing the id software assets out of the wad. I had no idea what I was doing when I began, and my methods for making composite textures was uhhhh~ misguided at best. All that missing stuff is likely related to that--I'll go through it and try to fix it

ok this is a hotfix. Eternity is still angry over a single patch that I do not understand what it's problem is, but it runs in PrBoom++ now as well as GZ without giving me any trouble. I'm gonna hold off reuploading to idgames for the time being because I wouldn't be surprised if there's more problems and I've probably pestered the maintainers enough for a while~ haha

so the smooth weapons mod is not compatible with this but until way into the second map I totally deemed it possible that using the left mouse permanently results in a gibbed mess appearing in the top left corner of the screen just due to the nature of what everything else haha

2 minutes ago, pampoo79 said:

so the smooth weapons mod is not compatible with this but until way into the second map I totally deemed it possible that using the left mouse permanently results in a gibbed mess appearing in the top left corner of the screen just due to the nature of what everything else haha

Yep, due to the modified weapons/monsters it's very likely that any gameplay mod is gonna cause a conflict and break stuff in strange unpredictable ways haha

E1M2: its possible to get trapped to the right of the stairs in the center of the opposing wall in the big room. I also found the random damage floor sector in that room a bit annoying

E1M3: die blue door only opens once, its possible to exit the big room via the opening and soft lock

Β 

I can already say I like it, i dig the surrealistic naive style, it's amazing and refreshing. reminds me of Doom 14 Supreme Adventure

Screenshot_Doom_20221122_203429.png

1 hour ago, pampoo79 said:

E1M2: its possible to get trapped to the right of the stairs in the center of the opposing wall in the big room. I also found the random damage floor sector in that room a bit annoying

That's not a softlock--try wallhumping, and search around a bit maybe there's a secret near there. The damaging floor isn't random, it's always the computer/techfloor that damages

Β 

1 hour ago, pampoo79 said:

E1M3: die blue door only opens once, its possible to exit the big room via the opening and soft lock

Not a softlock, it's deliberately possible to exploit that open door. You can skip most of the level this way, although you will be much less prepared for the final fight.

I just wanted to check some info for the wiki article: the map listing is a bit messed up. The ZMAPINFO lump lists map 11 & 12Β  both as E2M3. And they are called "ultra-violet" and "guano". But in the Dehacked lump they are E2m3 and E2m4 respectively (like you would expect) and instead named "mung" and "Fissure" respectively. On top of that, Map11 is actually named Effluvium according to the text file. There is also Maps 13 & 14, which are both listed as a E2M5 in ZMAPINFO lump and Map15 is named E2M6 as a result instead of E2M7.

Β 

So i assume the text file has the correct map listing, and both the ZMAPINFO (for maps11 & 12) and the DeHackEd (for map 11) lumps contain errors? Β 

Edited by Gregor

4 hours ago, Gregor said:

So i assume the text file has the correct map listing, and both the ZMAPINFO (for maps11 & 12) and the DeHackEd (for map 11) lumps contain errors? Β 

Your assumption is correct! The names of those maps got changed somewhere along the way and it looks like I overlooked quite a bit, knowing me I was probably anticipating myself changing my mind a couple more times.

Spoiler

Making four different *MAPINFO lumps is pain in the ass, but it must be done!

Β 

After seeing and hearing some of the reactions to the arch vile, I've decided it's probably best to alter it a bit. I'm going to have to update anyway for several other bug fixes. I made this image to explain how the vile's self-res works, and to show the change I'm planning on making. The numbers listed are the probability of the frames following that path. Numbers in grey are the current values, numbers in blue are my planned changes; black and red stay the same.

I'd like to also mention that the vile laugh that can be heard anywhere on the level is just to give the player some kind of warning that the vile tried to get up. To know if they succeeded or not, you'll need to be within earshot. If you hear their death wail twice, you know they're down for good

vilesplaining.png.590802cace5ea9a5aea047828799c971.png

Β 

Spoiler

caption: UV-MAXERS HATE HIM!!! one weird trick to maximize speedrunners' suffering the consequences of RNG

Β 

Edited by thelamp : mistake in image

So am IΒ a dummy or is map 7 broken? I'm assuming I'm a dummy.Β So you gotta dash through all the baddies and drop into the pit with the arachnotrons and the rocket launcher, then fight through the stuff on your side. but nothing happens. no bridge exists, no archviles exist to blast me over, i cant find any switches, I cant find any teleporters,Β jumping isn't allowed so im not expecting to rocket jump.Β i was thinking it was aΒ tag666 thing where you kill all the mancubuiΒ but that didn't seem to do anything either.

this project is absolutely sick, thank youΒ for making it.Β 
I just don't know how to get over the pit.Β 
(playing on zandronum)

@Lakeofblood I'm assuming you mean this pit:

Spoiler

woof0112.png.e0c4ff19872bf974537d021594cee776.png

it's a tag 667 action (kill all the arachnotrons) that raises the water to allow you to cross it. Tag 666 is used in this level also, so be sure to eliminate all mancubus as well!

Β 

edit: also make sure your compatibility settings are set to MBF (-cl 11). I just tested this on complevel 2 and it didn't raise the sector high enough to progress

Edited by thelamp

On 12/14/2022 at 10:40 PM, thelamp said:

also make sure your compatibility settings are set to MBF (-cl 11). I just tested this on complevel 2 and it didn't raise the sector high enough to progress

Β 

I'm having the same issue Lakeofblood is, and I made sure to have compatibility settings set to MBF, and the water's still not rising after killing all the arachnotrons. It doesn't look like anything happens when I kill all the mancs either. I thought maybe there was an issue with killing the spiders first before the mancs, since that was the order I was doing it in, but nothing happens when I kill the mans first either. What does killing the mancs do anyway? Just so I know what to look for. Playing in GZDoom 4.8.2

@TJG1289 killing the mancs should lower sector 51. I'm really not sure why this isn't working, as these are both just the same old map07 Dead Simple actions

Here's a generic Mapinfo entry for Doom2 - MAP07:

Β 

map MAP07 lookup "HUSTR_7"
{
Β Β  Β titlepatch = "CWILV06"
Β Β  Β next = "MAP08"
Β Β  Β secretnext = "MAP08"
Β Β  Β sky1 = "SKY1"
Β Β  Β cluster = 6
Β Β  Β par = 120
Β Β  Β map07special
Β Β  Β music = "$MUSIC_SHAWN"
}

Β 

Notice the line "map07special". If using a Mapinfo or Zmapinfo,Β it's required for the tag 666 and 667 actions to work,Β at least in ZDoom.Β I don't know aboutΒ Emapinfo and Umapinfo.

Β 

Adding the line to both entries should fix the problem.

11 minutes ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Β Β Β  map07specialο»Ώ

this solved the problem! thanks! hotfix

Works for me now! Thanks! Really enjoying this so far. One of the most abstract mapsets I've played in a long time. Really cool and unique.Β 

In map09 I can't find the blue key. I killed all the monsters in the rooms behind the yellow door (except for the 2 arch devils), found the secret to the bfg but I need a blue key to return back.

10 minutes ago, Lord Pavis said:

In map09 I can't find the blue key. I killed all the monsters in the rooms behind the yellow door (except for the 2 arch devils), found the secret to the bfg but I need a blue key to return back.

Wow that is a pretty egregious bug! Not even sure how that happened since I had no reason to change difficulty flags for any key on this level? The blue key should've been in the room with the chaingunners. Fixed version here, tho I would advise that you just continue playing from where you were and just noclip thru the blue doors. There's only 1 fight remaining for you now!

woof0011.png

Well well, I've started playing the WAD a few days agoΒ but I'm not thrilled so far. The atmosphere is nice, but I don't like the level design. Visibility is poor most of the time (too many half-transparent non-solid walls), damaging sectors are random (for instance in the large room on E1M2) at the point you start wondering if there are not hidden snipers, some monsters are terrible (stuttering flying imps in E1M5; I also got locked by falling somewhere in the map between two walls), secrets are not very consistent.

Being glad to find the exit is usually not a good sign as I love to explore levels thoroughly. Now I'm stuck on E1M6 looking for a yellow key or any way to move forward but boy I'm getting bored.

I was expecting something better from the winner of the #1 Cacoward 2022.

Β 

11 minutes ago, Ankha said:

Well well, I've started playing the WAD a few days agoΒ but I'm not thrilled so far. The atmosphere is nice, but I don't like the level design. Visibility is poor most of the time (too many half-transparent non-solid walls), damaging sectors are random (for instance in the large room on E1M2) at the point you start wondering if there are not hidden snipers, some monsters are terrible (stuttering flying imps in E1M5), secrets are not very consistent.

Being glad to find the exit is usually not a good sign as I love to explore levels thoroughly. Now I'm stuck on E1M6 looking for a yellow key or any way to move forward but boy I'm getting bored.

Β 

Β 

The damaging floors are always computer/tech or some kind of custom liquid. Stock liquids do not damage (there are a couple small exceptions to this on e1m4)

Β 

The imp's stuttering movement is intentional. I found reducing their frame duration to 1 tic was too fast, and 2 tics was too slow. Having them randomly switch between the two was my way of finding a middle ground there

Β 

the secrets absolutely are inconsistent. no regrets

Β 

as for e1m6 you may need to find and shoot a hidden eye switch, and beyond that you'll need to find your way into a chaingunner's pillbox

11 minutes ago, Ankha said:

I was expecting something better from the winner of the #1 Cacoward 2022.

Β 

same lol

Ok, I gave up looking for the hidden switch after spending more than one hour total on the map. I found a hidden switch for the megaarmor, and inactive eye switch but I'm tired looking for a hidden switch to progress on the main track (hidden switches should be used onlyΒ for secrets).Β  Unless the yellow key is a secret, but I can't find a way to progress anyway. Maybe there's a bug in the level.

Β 

I'll move to the next cacoward WAD, sorry :)

it opens the door right next to it

Β 

edit: this is a really strange problem because I loaded your save file and the switch is broken in that save file, but when I restart the level it works. doesn't make sense to me

Edited by thelamp

It doesn't work for me, even when setting complevel to 11. :/ I even restarted the level to be sure.

Ok, I suppose the save state contains the compatibility level. So I saved the game playing with the default compatibility level 3, and it can't be changed (even when prboom is launched with another complevel).

If I restart the level with complevel 11, it seems to work.

Β 

However, it's very weird that a switch doesn't work due to a different complevel. What's special with that switch?