Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

Doom 64 Lost Levels for Doom II?

Has anyone made the Lost Levels featured in the 2020 rerelease of Doom 64 in Doom II? I just played through them today and those levels are SICK. Would love to see an adaptation of them in Doom II.

The overall agreed-upon thing by the community was to wait a good amount of time before converting them, out of respect for Kaiser and Nightdive.

That said, a Doom 64 in Doom 2 sequel/'expansion' would likely be the Lost Levels mixed with the Absolution TC's exclusive levels and the Outcast levels. Should be a healthy amount of levels combined.

4 hours ago, princetontiger said:

With Doom 64 now on pc, why wouldn't we just play the real thing?

Because why not make an adaptation of it in Doom II? They already made the entirety of the base game in Doom II. It'd be a cool project.

4 hours ago, princetontiger said:

With Doom 64 now on pc, why wouldn't we just play the real thing?

Because Doom 64 in Doom 2 was highly creative, adapting a much more advanced Doom game into Doom 2's limitations. Many people have wanted to see the new Doom 64 levels and Kaiser's older D64 levels given the same treatment.

20 hours ago, Devalaous said:

The overall agreed-upon thing by the community was to wait a good amount of time before converting them, out of respect for Kaiser and Nightdive.

I thought it only applied to straightforward ports, like Doom 64: Retribution.

In comparison, Doom 64 for Doom II's levels feel more like a homage/reimagining of their Doom 64 counterparts.

I wonder if we could include painstaking recreations of the 5 cut levels that Hyde released, in finished bugfixed form in such a pack? I really enjoyed them, despite several of them being unfinishable without noclip

I think this has been answered well enough already.  But since I've been summoned, I'll just lazily post a link to my answer when this question was asked last time.

Doing a sequel project with the Lost Levels, the Outcast levels, and possibly recreations of the cut levels sounds pretty dang cool.  Something like that would probably be a full-on proper megawad, much like the original D64D2.  It would be a good starting point to explore ideas at least.

All that said though, there's little chance I'll have the free time to work on anything like that in the near future.  I've got my hands full for at least the next year or so :P