Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
stan1234

Unity Add-ons

I’m probably posting this in the wrong place, since this is my first post, but does anybody know when the next add-on will be dropped?

It’s been 5 months since Earthless (Prelude) was dropped, and I haven’t heard any news of what will be added, speedrunning is becoming boring due to lack of WADs being added. 

Earthless (Prelude) was added on 22/07, btw.

I’m on Xbox One. (Edit)

Edited by scuffed

Since add-ons are just mods, why not just play any other mod from the thousands of Doom mods available with a source port? Why do you need it to become an add-on? It's not like they are officially cannon at this point or anything.  

1 hour ago, scuffed said:

I’m probably posting this in the wrong place, since this is my first post, but does anybody know when the next add-on will be dropped?

It’s been 5 months since Earthless (Prelude) was dropped, and I haven’t heard any news of what will be added, speedrunning is becoming boring due to lack of WADs being added. 

they do it randomly no one knows when the next one will come. 

15 minutes ago, Lampenpam said:

Since add-ons are just mods, why not just play any other mod from the thousands of Doom mods available with a source port? Why do you need it to become an add-on? It's not like they are officially cannon at this point or anything.  

Idk if he is on console, because he is posting on the console section he could be wishing for new add-ons for console.  Personally I would love too see more stuff added but it's hard to find vanilla/limit removing content that would make a good release for the port.

41 minutes ago, scuffed said:

For most of last year they were dropped every six weeks. However, work on the Quake remaster has increased that time as Sponge has higher priorities now, including finding new addons for Quake. Every addon thus far has dropped on a Tuesday or Thursday, but other than that it’s anyone’s guess when the next will drop. Sponge isn’t allowed to talk about it before they come.

1 hour ago, Astronomical said:

Idk if he is on console, because he is posting on the console section he could be wishing for new add-ons for console.  Personally I would love too see more stuff added but it's hard to find vanilla/limit removing content that would make a good release for the port.

Oh right. For some reason I thought I was at wads and mods (but perhaps the thread just got moved). Though if you have no PC, @scuffed, there are source ports for mobile too. Maybe look into that. 

Yeah I’m on Xbox One, should’ve mentioned that, my bad. I have a laptop which I could set up doom on and I could play other WADs, but I don’t have doom installed, and I don’t have a mouse or second keyboard or something. I could do that, but I would have to set that up. 

It would be a pain, and it seems a bit pointless setting it up just for doom, it’s not really a gaming laptop, it’s a family laptop. 

38 minutes ago, Lampenpam said:

Oh right. For some reason I thought I was at wads and mods (but perhaps the thread just got moved). Though if you have no PC, @scuffed, there are source ports for mobile too. Maybe look into that. 

Oh cool, will look into that, thanks!

1 hour ago, Faceman2000 said:

For most of last year they were dropped every six weeks. However, work on the Quake remaster has increased that time as Sponge has higher priorities now, including finding new addons for Quake. Every addon thus far has dropped on a Tuesday or Thursday, but other than that it’s anyone’s guess when the next will drop. Sponge isn’t allowed to talk about it before they come.

That sucks but it makes sense I guess.

8 minutes ago, scuffed said:

Yeah I’m on Xbox One, should’ve mentioned that, my bad. I have a laptop which I could set up doom on and I could play other WADs, but I don’t have doom installed, and I don’t have a mouse or second keyboard or something. I could do that, but I would have to set that up. 

It would be a pain, and it seems a bit pointless setting it up just for doom, it’s not really a gaming laptop, it’s a family laptop.  

Freedoom and use of your xbox controller on it may be your ticket out.  If you don't own doom in any other form.  I still use an old hp office keyboard and a cheep 10 dollar mouse.  Other ports can suck when it comes to controler support so you would probably need to stick to a Zdoom derivative, still not a bad choice.

6 minutes ago, scuffed said:

If you have a laptop I would try that. You don't need a second keyboard, the laptop already has one and you can play with keyboard only (like how most people played in 1993 since mouse controls were kinda hidden away), although it might be a good idea to get a cheap 10~15€ USB mouse, it makes using the laptop in general more enjoyable too. 

Since the laptop is probably not that powerful, stick to less demanding source ports and mods. Ports like Crispy Doom run on anything, but you could also use PRBoom+, which is the most similar to the official Unity port (and still a bit better with certain features). To set it up I'd look up some youtube tutorials to walk you through or just ask here.   

The speed of released addons for the unity port slowed down due to the Quake Enhanced Remaster, which has also its addon system.

For me the speed of released addons is okay, since I finished now recently Deathless and my next official addon would be Back to Saturn Episode 1. Never played that one before.