Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dyshoria

changing chaingun texture with whacked4

Question

I downloaded a chaingun texture and i want to make a vanilla compatible wad. Slade3 says the texture name is three letters "CHG" but whacked says its four letters "CHGG"

7 answers to this question

I don't know a lot about whacked but this vid might help

Oh and just 2 question. Are you just trying to replace the sprites or also behavior of the weapon and are you only using Whacked and no decorate?

i learned from that video. But i can tell you that i im only trying to change the texture

The chaingun is a sprite, not a texture. Textures go on walls and floors.

As for the Chaingun, the correct frames are CHGGA0 (idle frame), CHGGB0 (rotated frame during fire), CHGFA0 (barrel fire; overlaid on top of the sprite), and CHGFB0 (rotated barrel fire, overlaid on top of the sprite). So SLADE is right - the proper prefix is CHG. The second G in CHGG is to indicate that it's the gun (CHainGun Gun); hence why the firing overlays are CHGF (CHainGun Fire).

If your sprite replacements are not named exactly those names, they will not work.

CHGG represents the chaingun (CHGGA0, CHGGB0). CHGF represents the muzzle flash (CHGFA0, CHGFB0). What I would guess is that your Doom wad tries to show a sprite that doesn't exist. I think it is because you only wrote CHGG or CHGA0 and not CHGGA0, or wrote something invalid. Or you just didn't select the offset for your chaingun inside Slade, which makes it out of the players sight. 

To add to what others have said, if you want it to be truly vanilla compatible you also need to rename the sprite prefixes using Dehacked to something unused (like CHAG for regular and CHAF for muzzle flash). You can do this in Whacked by going to the Strings tab and locating the strings CHGG and CHGF. Naturally, you'll also need to name your sprites to match. 

The reason for all this is that vanilla doesn't like duplicate sprites. In Chocolate Doom this can be bypassed by using -merge instead of -file when running the wad, but this excludes running via drag 'n drop which is what most people do, and would also not work in the vanilla exe.