Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hobomaster22

Helion - C# (0.9.2.9 4/24 - Goodbye BSP tree rendering)

1 hour ago, hobomaster22 said:

Helion 0.9.2.5

Patch release to fix issues found in Eviternity 2 and the episode selection missing for Doom 2 when running Sigil 2. Was also able to fix the issue @TheSwordman reported for this one.

Reveal hidden contents

Fixed movement initialization issue that can cause player to get stuck
Added missing language lookup for Doom 2's episode name. Fixes hidden menu selection for Sigil 2
Fixed radius explosion check to not ignore non-solid things. (Fixes Eviternity 2 Necromancer minions staying forever
Updated A_MonsterProjectile and A_WeaponProjectile to match pitch inversion that happens in dsda (fixes Nightmare Caco attack in Eviternity 2)
Fixed pull specials to correctly invert force applied to player (fixes Eviternity MAP01 start pit)
Update crusher types to match Boom's functionality for generic floor and ceiling specials
Update zNear for high FOV values to fix rendering issues
Fixed weapon cycling commands to check for inverted values

It seems the issues i reported weren't fixed.  Fov 110 still can see through walls and the the mouse down input for next weapon still doesn't work

57 minutes ago, TheSwordman said:

It seems the issues i reported weren't fixed.  Fov 110 still can see through walls and the the mouse down input for next weapon still doesn't work

Hmm yeah something happened with the Windows package where just these fixes weren't in. I repackaged the Windows builds and verified those fixes are in now.

On 12/10/2023 at 6:55 PM, TheSwordman said:

Also, is there a way to make the automap stats font bigger?

Forgot to answer this before. In the hud settings there is a hud scale value that will scale all text. You will also likely want to turn off autoscale hud that calculates the scaling if you ever change resolutions.

5 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

Forgot to answer this before. In the hud settings there is a hud scale value that will scale all text. You will also likely want to turn off autoscale hud that calculates the scaling if you ever change resolutions.

Yeah, that works. The issue is that the menu size ends up too big

On 12/12/2023 at 12:44 AM, hobomaster22 said:

Helion 0.9.2.5

Patch release to fix issues found in Eviternity 2 and the episode selection missing for Doom 2 when running Sigil 2. Was also able to fix the issue @TheSwordman reported for this one.

Reveal hidden contents

Fixed movement initialization issue that can cause player to get stuck
Added missing language lookup for Doom 2's episode name. Fixes hidden menu selection for Sigil 2
Fixed radius explosion check to not ignore non-solid things. (Fixes Eviternity 2 Necromancer minions staying forever
Updated A_MonsterProjectile and A_WeaponProjectile to match pitch inversion that happens in dsda (fixes Nightmare Caco attack in Eviternity 2)
Fixed pull specials to correctly invert force applied to player (fixes Eviternity MAP01 start pit)
Update crusher types to match Boom's functionality for generic floor and ceiling specials
Update zNear for high FOV values to fix rendering issues
Fixed weapon cycling commands to check for inverted values

Interesting, as just now I was playing map 32, and it doesn't have the best performance in gzdoom.

It runs it beautifully, of course. 

Although now that I compare both side by side, I have to say that I always like the ambient oclussion effect from GZDoom, it really gives depth to the lightning of the game. Do you have any future plans for implementing something like that?

I also see now you have a proper options menu, you didn't the last time I really tried this sourceport. Congrats :P. What autosave does, exactly? Does it save every few minutes? 

Also please include a invert mouse axis option. I know the workaround of putting a negative number, but still, respect us old gamers with inverted brains damnit :P

53 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

It runs it beautifully, of course. 

Although now that I compare both side by side, I have to say that I always like the ambient oclussion effect from GZDoom, it really gives depth to the lightning of the game. Do you have any future plans for implementing something like that?

I also see now you have a proper options menu, you didn't the last time I really tried this sourceport. Congrats :P. What autosave does, exactly? Does it save every few minutes? 

Also please include a invert mouse axis option. I know the workaround of putting a negative number, but still, respect us old gamers with inverted brains damnit :P 

I think someone else asked about this, and yes it is something we would like to add.

Autosave writes the save at the start of the next level like ZDoom.

Sure, I can add an inverse mouse axis option for the next release :)

1 hour ago, Deadfish said:

Are there some undocumented mysterious cheatcodes for Helion?

I'm just too bad for some maps.

Helion has the resurrect command like ZDoom (which I admittedly use a lot). You can also give yourself items through the console using inventory.add command. Examples would be inventory.add bfg9000 or inventory.add bluearmor. The same names should be the same from ZDoom decorate. You can bind them to keys too for fun by doing something like: bind F9 "inventory.add bfg9000".

10 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

Helion has the resurrect command like ZDoom (which I admittedly use a lot). You can also give yourself items through the console using inventory.add command. Examples would be inventory.add bfg9000 or inventory.add bluearmor. The same names should be the same from ZDoom decorate. You can bind them to keys too for fun by doing something like: bind F9 "inventory.add bfg9000".

Thank you very much.

I suspect, I cannot build Helion for my secondary linux PC?

Or use it with wine or something?

Otherwise, I enjoy Helion very much on my windows PC. It really is smooth like 'hell' (which means good in demon-tongue).

Btw. was experiencing that myself on Eviternity 2, before the patch was released: "Fixed movement initialization issue that can cause player to get stuck." :-)

Thanks for the fast patch cycle.

Edited by Deadfish

16 minutes ago, Deadfish said:

Thank you very much.

I suspect, I cannot build Helion for my secondary linux PC?

Or use it with wine or something?

Otherwise, I enjoy Helion very much on my windows PC. It really is smooth like 'hell' (which means good in demon-tongue).

Btw. was experiencing that myself on Eviternity 2, before the patch was released: "Fixed movement initialization issue that can cause player to get stuck." :-)

Thanks for the fast patch cycle.

There is a Linux build that doesn't require anything to be installed. If you want to build it yourself there are build instructions on the main GitHub page. Glad you are enjoying :)

54 minutes ago, hobomaster22 said:

There is a Linux build that doesn't require anything to be installed. If you want to build it yourself there are build instructions on the main GitHub page. Glad you are enjoying :)

The sound is really high pitched on windows and it sounds really silly. Vanilla Doom2 for example. (Guns, Enemie attacks, button pressing, everthing.. ) I don't think, that I had this problem yesterday.

Menu sound is ok btw.

58 minutes ago, Deadfish said:

The sound is really high pitched on windows and it sounds really silly. Vanilla Doom2 for example. (Guns, Enemie attacks, button pressing, everthing.. ) I don't think, that I had this problem yesterday.

Menu sound is ok btw.

In the sound options you can change the pitch. Make sure pitch scale is 1 and randomize pitch is off.

52 minutes ago, Deadfish said:

Also y and z are switched on the german keymap in Windows 11 in Helion. 

There seems to be an issue with how the key binding is reading the characters. The keys should show correctly when typing in the console. I will have to investigate what is going on with that.

22 minutes ago, hobomaster22 said:

In the sound options you can change the pitch. Make sure pitch scale is 1 and randomize pitch is off.

There seems to be an issue with how the key binding is reading the characters. The keys should show correctly when typing in the console. I will have to investigate what is going on with that.

You are right, the pitch scale was all wrong. :)

I suspect, that when I restart Helion some values change to random numbers. For example the sound pitch went from 1 to 10, and the mouse sentivity from default to 500 and playback speed to 100 (it was definitively 10 before).

Edited by Deadfish

Since Helion can run Eviternity II (as well as Crusader), would you consider it DSDHacked-compatible (which is what Eviternity II and Crusader are, besides MBF21)? The article only list DEHEXTRA support, which limits the number of custom things, states, sounds, and sprites.

7 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Since Helion can run Eviternity II (as well as Crusader), would you consider it DSDHacked-compatible (which is what Eviternity II and Crusader are, besides MBF21)?

Yes for sure. While technically  a separate standard I think it’s assumed to be supported if a port supports mbf21. 

13 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

Thank you @Redneckerz for the very wonderful wiki article!

My pleasure. It was long overdue. Helion's a unique project since it technically isn't a source port.

I hope this brings even more attention to the project, considering the obvious performance benefits.

Hello, I'm really excited about this source port idea! I think it'd be amazing to incorporate settings like light modes, similar to 'Shaders' in PrBoom+, and to enhance the visual experience. Oh, and more options for texture filtering would be absolutely epic too.

I also observed that Doomguy aims slightly higher than in other ports. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but during monster fights, it's noticeable and a bit bothersome. It would be fantastic if it could be adjusted to match the 'standard' style of other source ports. Just to let you know, I play with centered view and no mouse look.

Also, I've noticed there's no key binding for an 8th/9th weapon, like the perforator weapon in Eviternity 2.

Thanks a bunch for your hard work, and keep the awesome updates coming!

Doesn't seem to work very well with png files right now. I made these pk3 from a test mod using the WadExt utility. For LEST002.pk3 I left almost everything as is, deleting only the decompiled folder and the pnames.lmp and texture1.lmp files in the root directory.
For LEST004.pk3, using SLADE3, I exported graphic resources in the Graphic(Doom) format.
As you can see, in the case of LEST004.pk3 everything works just as well as in the original LEST.wad.

I’m very glad that the decorate function A_FireRailgun works.

lestgame.7z

I'm trying to modd weapons for Helion. Unfortunately, my knowledge of decorate is very rudimentary. Therefore, the weapon is not displayed in the slot and is not selected from the inventory after change it.

gauss001_wad.7z

18 hours ago, Demion said:

Hello, I'm really excited about this source port idea! I think it'd be amazing to incorporate settings like light modes, similar to 'Shaders' in PrBoom+, and to enhance the visual experience. Oh, and more options for texture filtering would be absolutely epic too.

I also observed that Doomguy aims slightly higher than in other ports. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but during monster fights, it's noticeable and a bit bothersome. It would be fantastic if it could be adjusted to match the 'standard' style of other source ports. Just to let you know, I play with centered view and no mouse look.

Also, I've noticed there's no key binding for an 8th/9th weapon, like the perforator weapon in Eviternity 2.

Thanks a bunch for your hard work, and keep the awesome updates coming!

This is because Helion doesn't support changing the viewport on the fullsize HUD yet. There is an issue here that describes it and what you can do to mitigate it.

I noticed the perforator issue and have a fix on the dev build. This comes from the fact that Helion will parse dehacked over decorate by default because it's stable and feature complete. However, the weapons are defined in gameinfo with different weapon names causing it to break. The fix is to match dehacked behavior and ignore weapons defined in gameinfo so that the perforator replaces the chainsaw as it does in dsda.

8 hours ago, camper said:

Doesn't seem to work very well with png files right now. I made these pk3 from a test mod using the WadExt utility. For LEST002.pk3 I left almost everything as is, deleting only the decompiled folder and the pnames.lmp and texture1.lmp files in the root directory.
For LEST004.pk3, using SLADE3, I exported graphic resources in the Graphic(Doom) format.
As you can see, in the case of LEST004.pk3 everything works just as well as in the original LEST.wad.

I’m very glad that the decorate function A_FireRailgun works.

lestgame.7z

The library Helion uses for pngs is very spotty and has some bugs. Unfortunately, they rewrote the API making it a breaking change and everything would have to be rewritten. It will happen eventually, just hasn't become a priority yet.

1 hour ago, camper said:

I'm trying to modd weapons for Helion. Unfortunately, my knowledge of decorate is very rudimentary. Therefore, the weapon is not displayed in the slot and is not selected from the inventory after change it. 

gauss001_wad.7z

Any modding using decorate is unlikely to function because it's far from feature complete. This is why Helion will parse dehacked over decorate by default if both are provided like in the case of Eviternity 2. You should use DECOHack so you can write decorate like code that will be translated into dehacked. As a bonus your mod will work in the majority of ports including Helion, instead of only ports that support decorate.

1 hour ago, Grieferus said:

Will there be software renderer mode, or is it out of project's scope?

It's out of scope. Helion depends on hardware rendering. Software rendering requires the BSP.