Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-- Alexei --

Starting *GUN* doesn't even try to exist (DECORATE)

Question

I decided to make a small weapon mod to not get rusty on DECORATE, I also wanted to learn about player classes, so I added a weapon that is basically nothing just for cinematic stuff (I just now realize I could just make the fist's first ready frame be a TNT1A0, but ignore that) and now I'm trying to replace the default pistol with a DEagle, specially because I need to practice with hitscan attacks.

Here comes the problem, I defined starting weapons in the player class, including the pistol, I defined that it's a class in MAPINFO, everything works except the pistol, player starts with the "unarmed" weapon and brass knuckles/fist, but not the pistol, you can't get it with the give or summon console command. I know GZDoom is messing with me, because it throws NO errors, yet it doesn't even show up on the ARMS section of the status bar, even the sprites are valid, even the first frame of the Ready state is valid, it inherits from DoomWeapon (also tried inheriting from Pistol, same outcome), tried with and without the SS markers, it's also not the offsets.

I tried looking anything similar to this up but this is one of those one-in-a-lifetime cases where I barely even know what to type in the search bar, please god help me.

Here is an image with the ARMS section, no pistol. (again, the "unarmed" works, but the pistol decides not to) https://ibb.co/0MccC4v and here is the pk3 https://www.mediafire.com/file/mbuii4u1ybe76ss/alexeis_arsenal.pk3/file

7 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, NaliSeed said:

Not sure, but maybe your gun needs to have some kind of ammo assigned?

It already has Clip assigned, it's Weapon.AmmoType "Clip"

Unarmed also has it

I have diagnosed the issue. You are using a .PK3 file, not a .WAD file. In a .pk3, (G)ZDoom expects all sprites to be in a top-level folder labeled "Sprites", not between SS_START/SS_END:

image.png

After creating this folder and moving your sprites there, the weapon works as intended:

image.png

Be sure to put your assets and resources into the expected places for a .pk3. You can read more on the folders you will use here.

P.S. GZDoom is actually throwing an error - it's telling you it cannot find a sprite:

image.png

9 minutes ago, SMG_Man said:

I have diagnosed the issue. You are using a .PK3 file, not a .WAD file. In a .pk3, (G)ZDoom expects all sprites to be in a top-level folder labeled "Sprites", not between SS_START/SS_END:

image.png

After creating this folder and moving your sprites there, the weapon works as intended:

image.png

Be sure to put your assets and resources into the expected places for a .pk3. You can read more on the folders you will use here.

P.S. GZDoom is actually throwing an error - it's telling you it cannot find a sprite:

image.png

Well, I thought directories were optional, didn't know that wiki page said anything about it, specially because I actually read it once and managed to not notice. Thanks a lot man, didn't think that warning would be a hint

1 hour ago, ramon.dexter said:

You just have to understand that pk3 is not some magical special secret archive, but renamed zip. Does zip use namespaces? No, directories.

It's not really about namespaces but file order. Only WADs guarantee their order of lumps, zip files however do not guarantee any file order so the namespace markers are useless in them. Hence why maps are grouped into WAD files inside pk3s.

Edited by Edward850