Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craneo

DAWN 3D - a Dusk mod for Doom [GZ, Zandro] v1.2

TITLEPIC.png.ad1c57966e6e678f17b732aeeb1e5e61.png
A few days ago I started this new side project, a not-so-faithful adaptation of DUSK for GZDoom and Zandronum that aims to have a more classic 2D sprite look (the 3D in the name is semi-ironic as well as a nod to Duke3D and Wolf3D, which had sprites and not models), for now some features are sort-of missing like the climbing thing and a more Superhot-like timestop, and I've taken a few creative liberties as well, the mod should also work on Deathmatch gamemodes and multiplayer but that hasn't been fully tested outside of offline skirmishes with bots, future updates will add some cut content and balance the mod more, as well as map editor number stuff for people that may wanna make their own pwads with this as a base.

CREDITZ:

Spoiler

Pistol sprites from older Freedoom versions
Dual wield pistol sprites & pickup by Mike12, Midway, Banjo Software, 3D Realms, WildWeasel, Uboa, Minigunner
Sickle sprites by Neoworm, taken from Wrath of Cronos
Sword sprites by Amuscaria, from Hellforged's CC wad file.
Crossbow sprites by LilWhiteMouse (base), Neoworm (resprite), Xaser (arrow anim)
Shotgun sprites by Id software (idle base), JoeyTD (idle editing), Joblez (lever action animation and model)
SSG sprites by Midway, KDiZD, Captain Toenail, coop, Id Software
Cigar sprites by Skelegant
Assault """""RIFLE""""" sprites by ID Software, HellCattX, with Tesefy sprite bits edited on top
Hunting Rifle sprites by Joblez
Riveter sprite credits to: Amuscaria, Carbine Dioxide, DoomNukem, frankensprite by Craneo
Muzzleflash sprites by Sgt.Shivers
Mortar Sprites by Amuscaria, Ghastly_dragon, Infernus, Xaser, frankensprite by Craneo
"Intruder" player skin credits: Can't Sleep, Craneo, Midoriman, Neoworm, Tormentor667
"Intruder" gib sprites from SkulltagSkins
DUSK sounds ripped by Cooper B. Chance on SoundsResource
Totem, Climb Thing and Serum sprites by Craneo
Health sprite credits:
medikits from GothGuns by HorrorMovieRei, credits to them and to Id Software for Wolfenstein 3D
vial taken from Blasphemer, heavily edited into a more Dusk magic potion type look
hallowed healths by Craneo
Ammo sprite credits:
Shotgun Box and shells from Freedoom
Pistol Clip originally a Nail Clip from Hellforged, heavily modified into a pistol clip by me (Craneo)
Arrows/Bolts from Blasphemer 
Grenades and Rivets from Hellforged
Grenade box part from GothGuns
Pistol box and hunter rifle ammo box from Freedoom with heavy modifications
NOTRIFLE/MachineGun drum mag originally by Tesefy/TypicalSF, edited by Craneo
Hunting Rifle bullets taken from GothGuns, unsure who to credit along HorrorMovieRei
Lavasuit originally by Dr.Cosmobyte
Armor sprites (treasure) by Craneo
Backpack from Freedoom
gunfire bulletpuffs from Blood
Flashlight sprite credits: Alando1, osjclatchford, Eriance, id Software, 3D Realms, MagicWazard
Barrel sprite credits: OSJCLatchford, Midway, Craneo
Treasure Map sprites from Heretic, edited by Craneo
Credits to Sgt Mark IV for the BDv21 respawning itemspawner pickup code
"Lycanthrope" font by Jimmy and Sinister Visions
"DOOM 64" HUD originally by WildWeasel
HERETIC PATCH CREDITS:
SPECIAL THANKS TO DR. COSMOBYTE for letting me use his RavenPatch
credits to Deii and WildWeasel for the WW_Nazis codebase, too.
Breakable barrel and rat taken from Lagi's Mellow Heretic, check it out!
Soap bubbles taken from the "Hexen Decoration Pack"
TDRR for the deathmatch mode check for the barrel so it won't spawn rats in DM
Soap bar and Gravity Switch sprites by me (Craneo)
EXTRA PLAYER SKINS CREDITS (Zandronum only!)
Soldier skin sprites: DeeDeeOz
Wendigo skin sprites: Uboa, Skulltag Team, Vader, Nanami, Project Brutality, Craneo
Rat skin sprites: Nash Muhandes, BeardedDoomGuy, 3D Realms, Raven, Captain Toenail, Craneo
Scarecrow skin sprites: Scalliano, HorrorMovieRei, DeeDeeOz, Craneo

Most sprites have been tweaked one way or another by me (Craneo), so I guess some self credits too, 
if anyone uses these sprites in their own mods/forks.

(please notify me in DMs here on DW if I forgot to credit anyone)

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230902_164540.png.b871c42e025a0506408591447316c5fb.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230902_164500.png.99a6130dbff0d93cc28e9583e472c32f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230902_164358.png.6db013a29de174e2fc350a4cf37e7dd9.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230902_164324.png.a5c4739c4c418a42d1ce1f16cabce931.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230902_164249.png.cbb2479b93a6b4c8c5d689c89403f38e.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230902_164231.png.d6d6e3652123ecd0760adec5ed294957.png

(custom palette not included)

Download:
Dawn3D_v1.2.rar

Edited by Craneo : updated to 1.2

(By the way, I am awaiting some feedback for a v1.0 release, which is also gonna include a sword blocking mechanic, zoom for most weapons, impact grenades for the mortar as altfire and a few fixes)

Been enjoying it so far. I feel like the shotgun and pistol deal pretty low damage though. Really interested to see this going forward

Edited by Crazy_Deer

I ran and looked at the whole arsenal and it was done not very badly and interestingly, only perhaps the ability to shoot with two hands is not enough and dynamics of course

- added zoom for all weapons
- added sword altfire, not 1:1 accurate but it's there
- added impact grenades altfire for the mortar
- added a Heretic patch
- added soap (Heretic only)
- added dual pistols, extra pistol spawns next to backpacks
- balance changes: 
buffed sickles, nerfed sword
added more spread to the rifle and shotgun
decreased SSG damage a bit 
buffed lever action shotgun a bit
gave the sword a charge indicator

Screenshot_Heretic_20230904_121924.png.eef2af6fc647631d1b19ab281540cfc6.png

I know you just updated the damage values, but I think the SSG was fine in damage. Now it has a chance of not killing a pinky in one shot. And the shotgun can still be as low as around 40 it seems.

1.1 changes:

- added "Gravity Switch" as a Wings of Wrath replacement for Heretic
- added dual shotguns, if you pick up a shotgun a second time you'll get one!
- Heretic deathmatch no longer has breakable barrels
- Heretic coin and potion bonuses no longer have +COUNTITEM
- balance changes: 
reverted SSG damage back to release (v0.99) damage
buffed dual pistol firing speed
riveter now has forceradiusdamage, since it's the mod's BFG
it would of been unfair as mapsets expect the player's BFG
to hurt cyberdemons and the such.

Screenshot_Heretic_20230908_145035.png.ce4f960b45762857a5b4fb6a881d152d.png
Ofcourse, balance is still not final, and there are other things I'd like to add down the line.

1.2 changes, mostly fixes and qol additions.

minor fix update 1.2 - sorry if I update a lot I just really hate coding lol
- fixed "smart" pistol pickup showing a shotgun sprite on the floor
- fixed Heretic bonuses not having gldefs
- fixed infinite ammo bug on mortar altfire
- added visual recoil and such by jdredalert
- added sword puff hit sound
- added player skins for multiplayer! so far these are included: 
 Base (Intruder "Cultist" with a rifle, default player skin)
 Soldier
 Wendigo
 One As Many (PLAYABLE RAT!?)
 Scarecrow
[There are some plans for a Welder, a Cowgirl and a Leatherneck skins in the future too.]
- explosive grenade explosion now has +NOGRAVITY
- bouncy grenades now bounce on water too
- weapons can no longer be selected if no ammo is present
- tried to make the explosion sound lounder I could barely hear that sound specifically wtf

image.png.84b657d966b3f9693075f6d117fa31fb.png

18 hours ago, Craneo said:

- added visual recoil and such by jdredalert

It looks and feels completely unnatural. You need options to disable or tuning it.

I may add a option to disable it in the next update, rn I wanna rest from Dawn 3D tho, but you can be free to remove any instance of recoil, pitch and offset stuff on a personal build, even share it here if you want

What are the maps and mods in the screenshots?

5 hours ago, Doomenator said:

It looks and feels completely unnatural. You need options to disable or tuning it.

Idk maybe i am using a newer version but it feels fine to me

4 hours ago, Monocled said:

but it feels fine to me

In reality, you look with your eyes, not a camera attached to a weapon, and your gaze is always directed at one point. It doesn't matter if you shoot or swing a stick. Any involuntary change in the direction of the view, contradicts realism and spoils the game perception.
Recoil in the games and such things work only at small values, when the eyes can compensate for it. Otherwise, it does not look natural.

59 minutes ago, Doomenator said:

In reality, you look with your eyes, not a camera attached to a weapon, and your gaze is always directed at one point. It doesn't matter if you shoot or swing a stick. Any involuntary change in the direction of the view, contradicts realism and spoils the game perception.
Recoil in the games and such things work only at small values, when the eyes can compensate for it. Otherwise, it does not look natural.

It moves the camera very little and returns back to its original place, or if you are manually moving it it returns to where it would be if the recoil wasn't there, I generally agree with you that recoil is annoying (except for certain weapons that need it for balancing) but its such a small margin and the fact that it returns back to its place makes it fine imo

the soap's heretic only? i feel ripped off

jokes aside, this mod is actually quite well put together, though one thing that felt off to me was the sword being the berserk replacement and the crossbow replacing the chainsaw