Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
randomsounds01

Box Doom - Community Project [Slots Filled]

2 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

It is pretty hard to miss.

Thats not my room, that's @SmolGhost's room. I can't fix other people's rooms with layouts and textures without their permission. It looks like you are not running this room with OTEX, which you will need to bolt on within the editor and your source port. In the latest version that room's textures have been replaced with textures from OTEX, which makes the room look better. Either SG or @randomsounds01 will have to edit the room.

Here's my second submission | Box 52: A Bridge Too Tan

1203310886_SLOT52-aBridgetooTanat2023_09.0604-33-14.152R4093.jpg.dace123e7dbc965a7b00734d019d16a4.jpg

A simple level with a fake TRUE 3DEE BRIDGE as the centerpiece for this map and uses STARTAN as homage to many a mapper's first experimental map to disguise the fact that this is in earnest a mapper's actual first experiment map

Uses a combo of textures from vanilla and Project MSTLNSDA

SLOT52-aBridgetooTan.zip

(NOTE: Please move the dummy sector out of ear shot from the rest of the map. while you can't hear it in GZDoom, testing it on Woof certainly made the lift noises pretty audible)

Made 3 boxes for this, feel free to position them wherever they fit best in map progression. Difficulty settings implemented. OTEX_1.1 textures used.

Names: MAP01: "It watches", MAP02: "Fiery Surprise", MAP03: "Caco-King".

Boxes.zip

1 hour ago, scientifikgenius said:

played the alpha. is it intentional for some doors to be misaligned to fit with other spaced rooms (i.e. too tall or wide, or angled very strangely)? i mean no offense but this looks unintentional and kinda sloppy. is there going to be a thing to counteract this in later updates?

The map seems to be based off of a template where all the boxes were 256x256 and spaced out based off of that, now that they're getting 512x512 submissions they're having work backwards to make the maps fit into that original template

This is an alpha, and tho I can tell that the project leads are pretty dang young, it's safe to assume that these alignment issues will be addressed the after all the boxes have been filled and the closer we get to final release

3 hours ago, Raith138 said:

I have a few concerns I want to express:

1: There is no quality control, maybe you are waiting on it but at the moment the effort put in is very different for each box. Simple can be good, I think the crusher segment looks really good even though it is super simple but some of them just look bad. Mainly the first 2 in my opinion. I think the good parts like 05 or 06 for example will be drowned out by the lower effort ones.

2: There will need to be something decided for the weapon progression, currently you get the plasma gun really quickly and it kind of breaks the progression.

3: Some of the boxes (the one with slime and the 2 revenants for an example) has more then 5 enemies.

I think the idea for this is really promising but it needs some polishing up for it to be successful.

I was actually thinking exactly the same. I think there are three problems here:

1) The rules, some of them do not make much sense, such as "The maximum monster count is 5 at a time" (whatever that means) or "Can use only 4 tags". Rules must exist to keep something consistent, not to limit the authors' creativity, but as I see the rules, they are limiting what we can do and they don't help keep the whole project consistent.

2) Quality control. It is difficult to assess, but I would make as a requirement that each box has at least a certain number of sectors, for example 50 sectors minimum, so to make sure some effort and detail was put into its design. Something in that like would definitely work better than "we recommend to use some detail", as it is currently written in the rules at this moment.

3) There is no specification about level progression and theme. Hence why you can see people saying "hey, it is assumed that the player acquired the Plasmagun before arriving to my box". But what if not?

I think these 3 things need to be addressed sooner or later. I think that the OP who organized this project is too young and inexperienced to lead such a project, so we will see how things go. As for now, I will not submit anything else and will keep observing the situation.

8 hours ago, Djoga said:

It's made.

13-DJOGA-HAZARDOUS.zip
My room assumes you got stuff in the previous rooms, like a shotgun, a plasma rifle and some remains of a megaarmor. I placed it all at the player start, so please delete it when you put the room in your map.
The red circles with question marks are music changers (they work in prboom+). The music will change back to normal once you enter the next room.
Also there is a conveyor belt with a voodoo doll outside the slot, it's needed to keep the platforms moving cuz the predefined "Floor start moving up and down" action doesn't work as intended (it's all made using exactly 4 tags btw).
The unreachable switch must be shot from the highest platfrom.

Quite an interesting map, although I dislike maps that make you fall into slime or lava (just my personal preference). I am not sure if it was intended or not, but I noticed that the pillars that go up and down take quite a bit of time to start moving again. Sometimes I was just sitting there without able to do anything so the first time I played the map I thought something didn't work fine. I tested with PrBoom+

1 hour ago, randomsounds01 said:

Alright!

Did you read the messages since your previous post in this thread?

You skipped my submission. Please, see here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2697258

Also several other submissions were ignored, please check them.

13 minutes ago, macro said:

You skipped my submission. Please, see here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2697258

Also several other submissions were ignored, please check them.

I wasn't ignoring them, I'm getting to add them, it's pretty time-consuming and I probably should have thought out the size limit better.

217418812_Screenshot2023-09-06180548.png.0f0c561bd7852c0af5f6161538afe695.png

9 hours ago, Raith138 said:

I have made room 54.

Can you please put OTEX into the next alpha?

54.zip

I'd love to see it in more detail. Right now, it just feels a little too simple, a little too basic.

Maybe if you added a mechanism like having an area in the middle like a fountain or a platform lowering ammo/health it would be more interesting?

1 hour ago, No-Man Baugh said:

The map seems to be based off of a template where all the boxes were 256x256 and spaced out based off of that, now that they're getting 512x512 submissions they're having work backwards to make the maps fit into that original template

This is an alpha, and tho I can tell that the project leads are pretty dang young, it's safe to assume that these alignment issues will be addressed the after all the boxes have been filled and the closer we get to final release

ah ok. thank u for the reply

1 hour ago, macro said:

the pillars that go up and down take quite a bit of time to start moving again.

I will make them move a bit faster.

1 hour ago, macro said:

Sometimes I was just sitting there without able to do anything so the first time I played the map I thought something didn't work fine.

Can you please tell me what caused that? I'll try to fix that too.

4 minutes ago, Djoga said:

I will make them move a bit faster.

Can you please tell me what what caused that? I'll try to fix that too.

My explanation was not clear. What I meant is that I was just waiting at the top of the first pillar and because it took quite some time to start moving again, I though something was not working fine.

5 minutes ago, macro said:

My explanation was not clear. What I meant is that I was just waiting at the top of the first pillar and because it took quite some time to start moving again, I though something was not working fine.

That's probably because the voodoo doll starts off slow when you open the map.

@randomsounds01 Thanks for the opportunity to practice my mapping skills and I thank everyone who has contributed so far. I think that it is very important to continue to have these small-scale community projects. It creates inspiration for us to create and improve upon a talent or skill. Here is some advice for everyone:

• Every room should be judge upon by their own merit and not by the skill and merit of others. It's like when they judge a Lego competition at fairs. They give the blue ribbon to the Millenium Falcon kit instead of the MOC that a young child worked very hard on designing. I chose to be the castle MOC in a room full of pre-designed Star Wars sets.
  • Have a mindset that each room is an exhibit in an art show, museum or zoo. They are all unique and tell a story. This is the Doomworld equivalent to the art show that high school students host at the end of the school year.
  • Permissions should be required by each exhibiter to edit their piece when needed. Other than the project leader i.e. the exhibit coordinator no one has the right to edit another person's room without their permission. Not even me.
  • Every author/exhibitor should be encouraged to turn their rooms into their own smaller stand-alone maps in the future. It would be interesting to see how this exercise can inspire new and completed maps by each submitter in the future.
  • When compiling the final build with the custom texture pack you can do it one of two ways. First is include only the added textures into the .wad file and second include OTEX separately. The former is the preferred method as it cuts down on download size. Plus, you don't want to include any unused texture resources that you are not using anyways.

Also, if you need any help with anything please let me know. I'll see what I can do. I also need to start designing my final room next week too.

9 hours ago, Raith138 said:

2: There will need to be something decided for the weapon progression, currently you get the plasma gun really quickly and it kind of breaks the progression.

I just came up with something. I know this will result in almost all maps needing a redesign, but now it's just a suggestion.

Chainsaw appears in room 1

Shotgun - room 5

SSG - room 10

Chaingun - room 20

Rocket launcher - room 30

Plasma rifle - room 45

BFG - room 65

Edit: berserk - room 3

Edited by Djoga

34 minutes ago, Djoga said:

I just came up with something. I know this will result in almost all maps needing a redesign, but now it's just a suggestion.

Shotgun - room 5

SSG - room 10

Chaingun - room 20

Plasma rifle - room 45

BFG - room 65

I'd be on board with that. And I was even thinking it would be good to wait to give out the BFG until around room 70/71/72 - Since only 5 enemies are allowed per room and no boss enemies can be used, the BFG would dominate in most cases. 

9 minutes ago, stochastic said:

I'd be on board with that. And I was even thinking it would be good to wait to give out the BFG until around room 70/71/72 - Since only 5 enemies are allowed per room and no boss enemies can be used, the BFG would dominate in most cases. 

I also thought about increasing the monster count in bigger rooms, like 7 in 384x384 and 10 in 512x512.

What about bosses, maybe replace one of them with a dehacked monster (Cybruiser from Valiant) and introduce them in room 69.

Hello there. Here comes my map. Enjoy ! ;)

Name : IDCK. 

Music : Metroid Prime OST - Tallon Overworld (made by Kenji Yamamoto).

Slot : 04.

Tested on UV. The first part is a bit difficult. For the way with the damaging floor (the green water), if you don't see any suit it's okay because you have to run and trespass the courtyard. ;)

IDKC.zip

30 minutes ago, stochastic said:

And I was even thinking it would be good to wait to give out the BFG until around room 70/71/72

15 minutes ago, Djoga said:

I also thought about increasing the monster count in bigger rooms, like 7 in 384x384 and 10 in 512x512.

What about bosses, maybe replace one of them with a dehacked monster (Cybruiser from Valiant) and introduce them in room 69.

Just to let you know I am working on Room 69. Details are in the spoiler. Having more than 5 enemies would give me more options. Having the BFG before map 69 would mess with what I have in store. Also having the RL before my earlier rooms of 33&34 would also mess with their flow too. Maybe it can be placed in the bathroom at room 35.

Spoiler

Map 69 will be inspired by my previous map Flesh & Bones in 10 Line Genocide. It will be a hell/flesh and blood themed room with exploiting an archvile trick. That is if I can figure out how to do it properly in Boom. If I do use a custom monster the Bruser Demon from Realm667 would be my choice boss.
BruiserDemon.png

4 minutes ago, Halfblind said:

Maybe it can be placed in the bathroom at room 35.

Yeah, RL at room 35 and BFG at room 70 would work 

4 hours ago, Djoga said:

Shotgun - room 5

SSG - room 10

Chaingun - room 20

Plasma rifle - room 45

BFG - room 65

Edit: berserk - room 3

I agree with that. 

As for my map (map31) I already designed it as pisto-start and is also rocket launcher start viable but not so much Plasma or BFG.

3 hours ago, Djoga said:

Agree 100% as well. 5 monsters per room is pretty darn low.

As for bosses, I would say that they are OK as long as they appear only in specific boxes, for example, Cyberdemon could appear in maps 30, 40 and 50 and Spider Mastermind in maps 45, 65 and 75 (just an example). Anyone choosing any of these maps must (or might) include Cyberdemon or Mastermind, and plan the map accordingly. Creating a good map with the Spider Mastermind would be truly challenging due to the size of the enemy itself even if the room is 512x512, but that is the interesting part of the project.

My Third and final contribution, I'd like it to be room 9, since it`s more suitable for when the player still only has the shotgun or the chaingun. It's a 512x512. Spoilers for the map below. Call it the fountain of youth.

Spoiler

Please check if the two platforms where the chaingunners can lower, they need to be used to get a secret. Not both of them, but it's nice to get the ammo too. I used generalized actions for my previous two rooms and for this one, hope that's okay.

I also fixed some other things in the other rooms, added a secret to one (the item I put in there is a suit of green armor, but you can change it according to balance to a box of ammo or something else, if necessary) and also changed the way the player can reach the other side in the other one to make it fit more with the theme of the room. I also balanced the enemies according to difficulty so please take a look at it and test it accordingly. 

Thank you for this project, OP. It's not even finished but I'd really like a sequel already.

Jo2uke Gappy - Trial by fire - mosh pit - the fountain of youth.7z

Edit: Again, I have trouble with finishing things all at once, so when I come back I can see the flaws and fix them. Here it is, they are interconnected just for my testing purposes. Thanks for the patience, OP.

Jo2uke Gappy - Trial by fire - mosh pit - the fountain of youth fix.7z

Edited by jo2ukegappy

5 hours ago, Halfblind said:

Just to let you know I am working on Room 69. Details are in the spoiler. Having more than 5 enemies would give me more options. Having the BFG before map 69 would mess with what I have in store. Also having the RL before my earlier rooms of 33&34 would also mess with their flow too. Maybe it can be placed in the bathroom at room 35.

Reveal hidden contents

Map 69 will be inspired by my previous map Flesh & Bones in 10 Line Genocide. It will be a hell/flesh and blood themed room with exploiting an archvile trick. That is if I can figure out how to do it properly in Boom. If I do use a custom monster the Bruser Demon from Realm667 would be my choice boss.
BruiserDemon.png

Yeah, RL at room 35 and BFG at room 70 would work 

I have Boxes 71 and 72 - having the BFG in 71 might ruin the flow a bit, while 72 gives you the BFG and pretty much requires it. It's at the cost of a pretty nasty trap, so I think it could be a good candidate room for first introducing the BFG. But 72 is a bit of a random number, so I understand wanting to introduce it in Box 70 or something. I can always rework 71 with the BFG in mind - just wanted to share my two cents.

Edited by stochastic

Here's my other submission, Room 71 - cleverly titled "The Blue Room". Difficulties are implemented - the current version assumes the player doesn't have the BFG yet, but I can always modify it if that's not the case.

Box71-TheBlueRoom.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20230907_170145.png

Edited by stochastic

20 hours ago, randomsounds01 said:

I'd love to see it in more detail. Right now, it just feels a little too simple, a little too basic.

Maybe if you added a mechanism like having an area in the middle like a fountain or a platform lowering ammo/health it would be more interesting?

I was trying to make this room a little basic because my others are hyper-detailed.

If you want I can add some stuff though.