Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Isa 2D

Where to get doom2.wad?

I'm struggling to find a proper "Doom II: Hell on Earth" wad.

I got my version of Doom 2 on Epic Games Store. When using its doom2.wad:

• DSDA Doom says in console: "Playing: DOOM 2: Hell on Earth (BFG Edition)"
  • Demos for UV Max + reality on maps 6 & 32 desync

So I found a different doom2.wad on the internet. When using it:

• DSDA Doom says in console: "Playing: DOOM 2: Hell on Earth"
  • Demos for UV Max + reality on maps 6 & 32 do not desync
  • However, now demos on map 2 desync

In this version of map 2, the left switch at the begining has bars in front of it, similar to red bars in front of the right switch. These bars require a player to interact with them in order for them to lower. Since these bars obviously don't exist in a proper version, demos desync when approaching the switch.

BFG version of map 6 looks absolutely identical to a non BFG version. But for some reason demos desync after taking an elevator back to the first room after picking the blue key and activating the crusher.

Maps 31 & 32 in BFG version have all SS soldiers replaced with zombiemen. Map 32 desyncs after picking the invulnerability sphere.

Okay mate, 10-step plan:

1. Find yourself a library with a computer.
2. Create a fancy-ass piece of paper called a "resume". Ensure it has any and all past work experience or academic achievements.
3. Make copies of the resume for as many jobs you're willing to specify in. MAKE SURE THE RESUMES HAVE YOUR CONTACT DETAILS ON THEM.
4. Send the resumes out to the companies with job openings you're about to apply in.
5. Be sure to attend any interviews until you find one specific job you get accepted to.
6. Work with your new job until you get your first paycheck.
7. Add $30 to your Steam account.
8. Navigate to "DOOM Classic Bundle".
9. Purchase "DOOM Classic Bundle".
10. Enjoy the fact you have Doom 2, along with Doom 1, Doom 3, and Doom 64! AAAAND A JOOOOOB!!!

...Or you could just buy Doom II directly, but where's the fun in that?

Here's a list of known doom2.wad versions: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/DOOM2.WAD

You want the first one on that page. Like @Edward850 said, you can get it on Steam. GOG should also provide this version.

The bethesda.net one might also work for demos, but I'm not sure, probably not from reading about it.

The byte total should be enough to determine what version(s) you have, but if you need to you can do an MD5sum from the command-line on Windows or with various GUI tools (I can't recommend one specifically but there should be plenty).

@Duderald they had already bought it on Epic, but good try on the snark.

Doom on Steam "is unavailable in my region", that's why I bought it on Epic Games. Did not expect their version to be any different. I'll buy an acc with a different region and get it on Steam then.

Thank you all for your help.

24 minutes ago, Cutman 999 said:

there isn't a folder called "base" with the original doom 2 executable? If not, what a shithole that epic doesn't include it...

Steam and GOG are the only two platforms with alternate launching functionality (GOG Galaxy mimics a lot of Steam functions), and thus are the only two platforms that can reasonably have the DOS executables provided without them being buried files.

4 minutes ago, LoatharMDPhD said:

cd A:

A:/Install.bat

AMK20230519_143504.jpg

Or if using Dosbox with a physical floppy drive:

mount a a:\ -t floppy
a:
install.bat

12 minutes ago, Master O said:

Or if using Dosbox with a physical floppy drive:

mount a a:\ -t floppy
a:
install.bat

oh i only know via MSDOS5.1 never used DOSBOX successfully ... yet...

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

Steam and GOG are the only two platforms with alternate launching functionality (GOG Galaxy mimics a lot of Steam functions), and thus are the only two platforms that can reasonably have the DOS executables provided without them being buried files.

It's better to have the files included so power users (i.e. people installing source ports) can find what they need rather than being absent completely.

13 minutes ago, Xaser said:

It's better to have the files included so power users (i.e. people installing source ports) can find what they need rather than being absent completely.

You're not entirely wrong, but you're preaching to the choir.