Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Matygoo

Can't open levels

I was using UDB as normal, It asked for an update so i did. Now it won't open anything saying it can't find resources. But all folders are still there, I even tried re-downloading. Everything (Levels i made and doom game) are still in there place, I can see them in the "Open" folder as usual

Untitled.png

The screenshot in your second post looks like it's at (your user folder)\OneDrive\Documents\... rather than (your user folder)\Documents\..., so make sure your files actually exist in the top-level Documents folder. I've heard of OneDrive causing problems for reason I don't really understand, so you might want to try moving your stuff out of the OneDrive synced folder.

Yeah OneDrive can empty local onedrive-mapped directories and files and push them to the cloud. The little ticks above suggest that has happened, so although it *looks* like they are sitting in your HD, they actually are not (in reality they are pointers/links to the remote backups), and are only downloaded when you click on them. 

Spoiler

I hate onedrive

What can i do to fix it? I downloaded the folder, But it went to Downloads, So i dragged to where it was before and it replaced the green ticked one, But now they have blue arrows and still wont open

Untitled3.png

You probably want to put it in a regular folder on your HD, outside of OneDrive, then if necessary, change where GZDoom looks for the resources.

It's not a good idea to install GZDoom or an editor into the Windows controlled areas,

as you did

fIAySfF.png

install your DOOM files into a dedicated directory, for example C:\DOOMSTUFF,

or another harddrive, and there make new folders (use any appropriate name),

something like this

C:\DOOMSTUFF\PORTS\GZDOOM

C:\DOOMSTUFF\IWADS

C:\DOOMSTUFF\EDITORS\Ultimate Doom Builder

C:\DOOMSTUFF\EDITORS\Slade

When GZDoom runs for the first time it generates a file named gzdoom.ini with all

default settings. Then, in GZDoom, open the console and type whereisini which will

show you the locatopn of the ini file.

In my case it is in

eVRf6dq.png

Open the ini file and specify the location of the IWADs

[IWADSearch.Directories]
Path=C:\DOOMSTUFF\IWADS
Path=$DOOMWADDIR
Path=$HOME
Path=$PROGDIR

further down you can specify files which you want to load all the time,

for example

[doom.Autoload]
Path=C:\DOOMSTUFF\IWADS\BrightmapsDoom1.pk3
Path=C:\DOOMSTUFF\IWADS\BrightmapsDoom2.pk3
Path=C:\DOOMSTUFF\IWADS\Beautiful_Doom_716.pk3

Save the ini file.

After that, all you need to do to play your pwad drag the pwad file onto the

GZoom icon or exe. 

Also https://zdoom.org/wiki/Installation_and_execution_of_ZDoom

Edited by Kappes Buur

On 12/1/2023 at 5:04 AM, smeghammer said:

Yeah OneDrive can empty local onedrive-mapped directories and files and push them to the cloud. The little ticks above suggest that has happened, so although it *looks* like they are sitting in your HD, they actually are not (in reality they are pointers/links to the remote backups), and are only downloaded when you click on them. 

Reveal hidden contents

I hate onedrive

The ticks mean they are locally on your PC. A cloud icon means they are remote.

I think this thread has gone in rather the wrong direction. One drive has no effect on other programs accessing files, as it's designed to handle files transparently. This looks more like you are potentially accessing files that are inside a zip file, which UDB cannot manage properly. You'll need to extract all files before they are usable.

I didn't know that. Where i'm at currently i deleted everything (except my levels) and reinstalled both gzdoom and udb, it's all working again and the levels open now, But, it's blank and i have to select Doom2.Wad manually every time unlike before

Untitled5.png

You can add wads that get automatically added for every project under the game configuration settings. Traditionally under the Tools menu.

34 minutes ago, Matygoo said:

I didn't know that. Where i'm at currently i deleted everything (except my levels) and reinstalled both gzdoom and udb, it's all working again and the levels open now, But, it's blank and i have to select Doom2.Wad manually every time unlike before

// Broken Windows Theory... //