Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Casketkrusher

Doom Meets Powerslave/Exhumed in DoomEXHUMED

I've seen you occasionally post screenshots here and there in the past few years and needless to say, everything looks stunning! Congratulations on the demo release!

16 hours ago, Firedust said:

I've seen you occasionally post screenshots here and there in the past few years and needless to say, everything looks stunning! Congratulations on the demo release!

Thank you! Atleast someone remembers it :P Such a long journey to finally be able to showcase a little bit of this project.

Congrats for releasing the demo for DoomExhumed!! You did and are doing an absolute god's work! 

Posted (edited)

The screenshots for this look amazing! I gotta try it some time soon.

Edited by DoomGappy

I stopped when GZDoom started chugging during the recording (in the second map). Things are looking really, really good though! I suppose I'll probably be missing out on at least one weapon though.

Posted (edited)

As a Powerslave fan, I couldn't pass this up and had to give it a try. I played the heck out of the Saturn version back in the day and some of the PC version as well. Are you eventually planning to add artifacts that give you special abilities like in the consoles versions? I didn't finish the demo yet cause I ran into some problems, but what I have seen far in-game and the screenshots looks excellent, especially like the underwater ruin palace theme.  I like that it's a non-linear\exploratory type map tool.

I did run into some shuttering at the beginning of the second level, as well, until it crashed after I killed the spitting scorpion or snake (didn't get a good look at what i was shooting at) I gave it another shot and made it to the port area with the ship where it crashed while I'll was messing underwater with some weapons (I cheated them in to test them out). Can't say if it's the mod or not since it could be something on my end.

My only nitpick though, is that the weapons don't feel like they have any weight to them. It feels like I'm firing in slow-mo, especially with the pistol. The feedback is not as snappy like in the original Powerslave, but this may be intended to mimic doom more or you haven't fully complete them yet (Ignore my nitpick if that's the case). I do like how you have to swap back to the torch when you need more light though. And it's able to be used as a weapon/tool if needed. I have a tendency to do more damage to myself rather than the enemies though, haha.

Edited by ByRntStarOEI : spelling

I was really interested to check out ExDOOMed but I can't really deal with how the framerate immediately starts chugging for no discernible reason upon entering the second map.

I know GZDoom is comically badly optimized but genuinely, is there anyway to deal with framerate dives like this?

13 hours ago, ByRntStarOEI said:

As a Powerslave fan, I couldn't pass this up and had to give it a try. I played the heck out of the Saturn version back in the day and some of the PC version as well. Are you eventually planning to add artifacts that give you special abilities like in the consoles versions? I didn't finish the demo yet cause I ran into some problems, but what I have seen far in-game and the screenshots looks excellent, especially like the underwater ruin palace theme.  I like that it's a non-linear\exploratory type map tool.

I did run into some shuttering at the beginning of the second level, as well, until it crashed after I killed the spitting scorpion or snake (didn't get a good look at what i was shooting at) I gave it another shot and made it to the port area with the ship where it crashed while I'll was messing underwater with some weapons (I cheated them in to test them out). Can't say if it's the mod or not since it could be something on my end.

My only nitpick though, is that the weapons don't feel like they have any weight to them. It feels like I'm firing in slow-mo, especially with the pistol. The feedback is not as snappy like in the original Powerslave, but this may be intended to mimic doom more or you haven't fully complete them yet (Ignore my nitpick if that's the case). I do like how you have to swap back to the torch when you need more light though. And it's able to be used as a weapon/tool if needed. I have a tendency to do more damage to myself rather than the enemies though, haha.

Thanks for the reply and feedback! What version of GZDoom are you using? Are you playing with Vulkan or opengl render? (Vulkan should be the best option..) While thoroughly testing this it never crashed once, so that's kinda strange. The lag isn't noticible on my end, but since more people have some issues with it I am going to look for the problem.

And yes special abilities are planned like the Sandals, Feather etc. And for the weapons, yes some are still work in progress and might feel a bit weak, but that's actually intentional since you can use power orbs to fire a more powerful shot. Also underwater they fire slower, since Powerslave doesn't let you use weapons underwater I wanted to be able to use any weapon underwater but they fire a bit slower because you are underwater. 

13 hours ago, Gibbitudinous said:

I was really interested to check out ExDOOMed but I can't really deal with how the framerate immediately starts chugging for no discernible reason upon entering the second map.

I know GZDoom is comically badly optimized but genuinely, is there anyway to deal with framerate dives like this?

Unfortunately this is a known limit of GZDoom, I am currently looking into the issue.

New version available that fixes some minor issues.

Fixes & improvements v1.1:
☥ Framerate issue fixed on MAP02 outside geometry slighty changed.
☥ Shotgun sound changed and increased damage slightly.
☥ Hud improved, was missing the "Arms" text.
☥ Added lightdefs to the torch attack flames.
☥ Increased the pickup amount for magnum rounds from 1 to 2.

Download here:

DoomEXHUMED Demo v1.1

Thank you for the support and feedback!

Okay made it past the second map with no problems, but I have a couple things I should point out.

The first and only thing that's definitely an actual issue, there are pops at the beginning of a few of the sound effects, such as the machete's slash.

Second is I'm not sure if you're supposed to be able to drink the goblets when at or above 100 HP while getting no extra health from them.

Other than those things, it's been going pretty well so far.

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2024 at 10:40 AM, Casketkrusher said:

Thanks for the reply and feedback! What version of GZDoom are you using? Are you playing with Vulkan or opengl render? (Vulkan should be the best option..) While thoroughly testing this it never crashed once, so that's kinda strange. The lag isn't noticible on my end, but since more people have some issues with it I am going to look for the problem.

And yes special abilities are planned like the Sandals, Feather etc. And for the weapons, yes some are still work in progress and might feel a bit weak, but that's actually intentional since you can use power orbs to fire a more powerful shot. Also underwater they fire slower, since Powerslave doesn't let you use weapons underwater I wanted to be able to use any weapon underwater but they fire a bit slower because you are underwater. 

Yeah, it was a mistake on my end. I had the renderer set to the old software one (Not sure why I didn't pickup on the graphical anomalies it was causing). Swapping to Vulkan solve the problem.

The lag is not bad or unplayable on my end but I just notice minor areas that don't run as smooth as the rest. Only spots I notice it is at the beginning of level 2 around the chains with the hole in the ceiling and where the blue skull is acquired, when looking down in the hole. The rest played fine on my end. (Realized you released an update, a lot smoother in said areas now).

But I did do a second play through and managed to get to the underwater palace boss fight. Had to stop afterwards due to other thing I needed to take care of, but what I played through was enjoyable and there was some great work done with the mapping/texturing.  My favorite spots include the buried blue skull key chamber i the second lvl, the hidden alcove with the waterfall where the cobra staff is found, and the underwater bio-dome area before the boss (Actually the whole water palace level was awesome and easily could be made into it's own separate game)

There were a couple minor issues I encountered though. I realize this is still a work in progress, but I figure I'll give some feedback and hopefully it's of some use to you.

- On the second lvl, I believe the player can get soft-locked if they go after the blue skull key before the red skull key. This could be a mistake on my end, but I couldn't figure out how to open the iron gate that connects the two areas.

- Ammo is kinda scarce, I ran out during the boss arena fight (Had the SG, M60, CS, RoR at that point). This necessarily isn't a problem if setup well (I kept forgetting I could use the torch as well), but it kinda brings to light the next nitpick I had:

- Most fights could be easily skipped by just rushing past. Even the arena boss challenge was easily circle strafed to completion.  I think a better mixture of different enemy attacks may help along with some variation in enemy movement speed?

- Is the pistol intended to only carry a max of 10 bullets? Seems a bit odd since the other weapons carry a much higher amount. I also think the pistol's kickback should be a lot quicker, but that is just a personal preference.

But yeah, this some good stuff you got going here. I'll keep my eye on this for sure.

Edited by ByRntStarOEI : grammer

On 4/13/2024 at 4:12 AM, ByRntStarOEI said:

Yeah, it was a mistake on my end. I had the renderer set to the old software one (Not sure why I didn't pickup on the graphical anomalies it was causing). Swapping to Vulkan solve the problem.

The lag is not bad or unplayable on my end but I just notice minor areas that don't run as smooth as the rest. Only spots I notice it is at the beginning of level 2 around the chains with the hole in the ceiling and where the blue skull is acquired, when looking down in the hole. The rest played fine on my end. (Realized you released an update, a lot smoother in said areas now).

But I did do a second play through and managed to get to the underwater palace boss fight. Had to stop afterwards due to other thing I needed to take care of, but what I played through was enjoyable and there was some great work done with the mapping/texturing.  My favorite spots include the buried blue skull key chamber i the second lvl, the hidden alcove with the waterfall where the cobra staff is found, and the underwater bio-dome area before the boss (Actually the whole water palace level was awesome and easily could be made into it's own separate game)

There were a couple minor issues I encountered though. I realize this is still a work in progress, but I figure I'll give some feedback and hopefully it's of some use to you.

- On the second lvl, I believe the player can get soft-locked if they go after the blue skull key before the red skull key. This could be a mistake on my end, but I couldn't figure out how to open the iron gate that connects the two areas.

- Ammo is kinda scarce, I ran out during the boss arena fight (Had the SG, M60, CS, RoR at that point). This necessarily isn't a problem if setup well (I kept forgetting I could use the torch as well), but it kinda brings to light the next nitpick I had:

- Most fights could be easily skipped by just rushing past. Even the arena boss challenge was easily circle strafed to completion.  I think a better mixture of different enemy attacks may help along with some variation in enemy movement speed?

- Is the pistol intended to only carry a max of 10 bullets? Seems a bit odd since the other weapons carry a much higher amount. I also think the pistol's kickback should be a lot quicker, but that is just a personal preference.

But yeah, this some good stuff you got going here. I'll keep my eye on this for sure.

Thanks a lot of the feedback! 

The things you pointed out are definitely the ones I am going to improve upon. Its mostly a solo project and the things you mentioned are some of them I probably haven't really noticed myself while working on this. Glad you like the underwater temple!

I assume you mean the gate in the second map? There's a switch on a wall in the ruins section that opens the gate.