Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Laguna

Did JC (not Jesus) decide to veer in favor of ATI at the last minute?

According to a few articles floating around on the internet (look up "ATI outperforms NVidia on Doom3" for example), some sources (Gearbox Software forums for one have a link to an article "stating" this) have said that in a recent press conference Carmack held, the ATI Radeon 9800 XT with new Catalyst drivers and full-precision enabled have "outperformed" the NVidia GeForce FX 5950 for Doom3, and purportedly, John Carmack said that "NVidia's cards are no longer top choice" for the new Doom game.

Somehow I doubt it, seeing as the GeForce series of cards have ALWAYS (supposedly) had the best support for OpenGL versus the ATI Cards. I am predisposed to agree with them that they are, seeing as Quake3 ran at a solid 70 FPS even on an old GeForce 2 MX card.

But to each their own. Evidently this "news" happened recently, less than 2 days ago or so.

Time to start the rumor mill up again, no time to let the conveyors on the assembly line stop rollin'.

Remeber that ATI caused the leak (and id knows it), thus the company probably has a subtle vendetta against them (Willits in particular was mad about it)

this might be part of what led id to endorse Nvidia

None of that ATI crap is anything but speculation on our parts.

Besides, we all know that ATI's cards are better than Nvidia's.

^^^not true, Xian said himself that ATI was sloppy with NDA's (they ahd recieved a Unreal II beta on a laptop) and angrily condemned them for it

Perhaps they are wrongin their accusation, but that id *thinks* ATI was responsible is a FACT, not speculation

John Carmack said "this will affect our relationship" with ATI

Of course ATI caused the leak! And I think its a rumor everyone knows nVidia has the best graphic cards.

Wobbo said:

^^^not true, Xian said himself that ATI was sloppy with NDA's (they ahd recieved a Unreal II beta on a laptop) and angrily condemned them for it

Perhaps they are wrongin their accusation, but that id *thinks* ATI was responsible is a FACT, not speculation

John Carmack said "this will affect our relationship" with ATI

Actually, we're not even sure if that Xian log was fabricated or not. Unless you know otherwise?

hmm, thats true, in fact Jc didnt really mention ATi excactly, so i might have actaully been wrong.

sorry if im wrong

Arioch said:

Besides, we all know that ATI's cards are better than Nvidia's.

prove it

Dron said:

Of course ATI caused the leak! And I think its a rumor everyone knows nVidia has the best graphic cards.

Can you back either of those statements up with hard proof? AFIK, id has never officialy blamed ati for the leak, nor has every single person agreed upon nvidia cards being the absolute best.

Heh.

...where's my device that lets me kill people over the internet...?

nVidia cards have always beaten Radeons at Open GL. Look at Recent Quake 3 based games' benchmarks, nVidia bests ATI.