Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

SSG in Doom!

Grimm said:

No, trust me, it's a placeholder that can't be used (though it wouldn't tile correctly either). I'll guarntee, actually. Put in a custom texture in the first slot. It'll show up as a HOM.

It's exactly that.

The reason:

Doom uses texture index 0 to indicate 'no texture'. But instead of starting the textures with index 1 they put an unusable texture at the start of the definition file to fill the spot (hence the stupid names for them.) It's just one of the many oddities in Doom. They could as easily have made -1 the index for no texture so the first defined texture would be valid...

Grimm said:

It certainly is in ZDoom, and since that's about the most advanced, it's probably in all of them.

I tried this. The first texture is a HOM there as well. I also noticed the a width of 24 doesn't cause HOM, it is just cut off to the next lower power of 2, ie. 16 in this case.

quamosity said:

You know, it surprising that id never redid doom/doom2 so that you could run either one as a single game (i.e. one iwad and one executable).

They even managed to do this with final doom, which would have not that much work at all.
On the other hand, they did (or was it Williams?) on several console versions like the PSX.

myk said:

They are duplicates of other switches. No graphics were included for them so they used the same graphics used for other switches.

Are they actually used in the Doom2 maps?
Is it possible to copy the texture definition from Doom1, add them to Doom2 and mix some maps which was originally intended for Doom1 with other for Doom2? Regarding the switches.

Bashe said:

There's probably a wad like this, but I made a wad that puts the super shotgun in Doom. Worth a look if you like the SSG.

Here you go.

You can only get it if you use codes or summon one in front of you. There are no pickups.

Also, it doesn't work with doom.exe. Only source ports. Sorry.

timeline

I put the SSG in Doom 1 before with plain Doom.exe using dehacked and supplying the sprites+sounds. You could pick it up in a level (I replaced guts and bones 2 with it) and use it just fine until you switched to another weapon. Then you couldn't get back to it.

Darkman 4 said:

Oh fucking boy.

I'll have to go with him on this one. The only enemy in DooM 1 it's really worth using the SSG against is the Baron and it ruins the classic feel somehow. Pass.

The SSG is very economical against demons and spectres. It almost always takes three normal shotgun blasts (7 pellets per 1 shell) to take one down while with the SSG it takes one shot (20 pellets per 2 shells).

Gokuma said:

The SSG is very economical against demons and spectres. It almost always takes three normal shotgun blasts (7 pellets per 1 shell) to take one down while with the SSG it takes one shot (20 pellets per 2 shells).

I fucking hate it when people other than me are right. I'm going to contradict myself and say the chaingun is somewhat useful against pinkies and invisipinkies.

It usually takes me two shots with the shotgun to kill a demon, although if there aren't very many around, I'd just use the fist (berserk or not) or chainsaw to conserve ammo. Now, where the super shotgun might come in handy is against a large group of imps or zombies. With a wider spread, you can kill more enemies per shot than you could with the shotgun. Also, it takes six or seven shots with the shotgun to kill a Cacodemon, but just two (up close) with the super shotgun.