Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cyber-menace

DTCA Map02 - UAC Mining Inc.

It's been FAR too long since I've done any mapping so I've decided to spice up my old Map02. You can either wait for it to make its way to /newstuff this coming week or you can get it earlier if you

Click Here!

Any comments?

It's cool enough. There's a good deal of fun and action in it, and you've used the zDoom features very well. It lacks a little somethin in design and the more or less radical changes in enviroments is not to my taste. Neither is the texture/flat combinations which I find a little ordinary. But hey, that's just me! Overall I think you've done a good job.

Edit: Ohh yeah, and the music was very... well, I didn't like it.

I kinda cringed when the Diveman music came back, but otherwise I saw no problems with the gameplay or the aesthetics, good job! First playthrough was done in 10:39, no secrets found, one monster missed.

EDIT: the stats don't really mean anything, just thought it would be interesting to the creator to see what people get the first time through.

The map was pretty cool but needed some shadowing lighting in certain spots like in the room where you save the guy from getting killed. The map was pretty good though.

okay, I palyed it through.

+Something new. Plot, dialogs, objectives (silly, but still).
+Changing music
+Mini Boss (well, just a horde of Pinky's, but idea fits good)

-Awful texturing
-Underdetailed
-If it's supposed to be a mine, I wouldn't use Brick textures. Ashwalls would do better.
-Look at the screenies

The murky water looks terrible, there should be an edge, or whatever between the water and the rocky floor. Also one part of the basin is warping texture, while the other is not.

And don't do things like that:

ellmo said:

-Awful texturing
-Underdetailed
-If it's supposed to be a mine, I wouldn't use Brick textures. Ashwalls would do better.
-Look at the screenies
The murky water looks terrible, there should be an edge, or whatever between the water and the rocky floor. Also one part of the basin is warping texture, while the other is not.

And don't do things like this

I've never been good with detail and no matter how many maps I look at I never seem to get any better at it. I think the texturing was OK, btw they aren't brick textures, they're stone, plus I didn't see any good ashwall textures...

About the murky water... slopes really don't like transfered heights so I have two choices, A. lower the water level and have my slope chopped off early, or B. leave it as it is and not have people having to jump out of the water all the time. I put the non-warped flats in there to mark where the water is and isn't deep... although it does look a little wierd.

Now about the slope going into the ground... yes I think that does look quite bad when you get a chance to look at it... I suppose a small elevator would be much more fitting, what about you?

Thanks for the suggestions, I have no idea when I'll learn to detail overly well, but for now I'll just try and keep my maps from looking like they're from 1995!

The big problem with this one is that it is a resurrected map from a piece of crap I built when I was a newb to mapping (trust me when I say 1995 isn't far enough back for that one). It causes limitations to size because I wanted the structure to match as close as I could make it.

cyber-menace said:

although it does look a little wierd.

Looks just bad. If you feel like having trouble with transfer_heights & slopes, that's okay, but don't mix Warping and Animated floors.

cyber-menace said:
Now about the slope going into the ground... yes I think that does look quite bad when you get a chance to look at it... I suppose a small elevator would be much more fitting, what about you?[/B]

I was rather thinking about retexturing. It's quite silly-looking. A piece of a techy base with rocky slope? The contrast is just too damn sharp. Let me tell you what: Pull the techy textures a little bit further into this sloped hole, and finish it underground.

cyber-menace said:

About the murky water... slopes really don't like transfered heights so I have two choices, A. lower the water level and have my slope chopped off early, or B. leave it as it is and not have people having to jump out of the water all the time. I put the non-warped flats in there to mark where the water is and isn't deep... although it does look a little wierd.

Slopes can be handled with Transfer_Heights as long as you don't want to move them. If you're trying to create a slope that goes into the water part-way down, use 2 sectors with the same gradient and have the water start at the boundary.