Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anima Zero

Kama Sutra Demopack [Released!]

Gusta said:

Excellent!!!
Just a pity that I couldn't watch it if it doesn't use complevel 0...

The following can also be used to watch MBF demos: MBF, TASMBF, WinMBF, Eternity, PrBoom (not the old 2.02 though), CDoom 2.05.

Gusta said:

Grazza: That "blocking wall" in mid air of map13 is caused by a sector with sky texture but lowered ceiling which shapes the helicopter. So you couldn't jump over it.

Thanks for clarifying that (so no conveniently placed gaps in it then? :( ). Though I wasn't thinking of jumping over it, but rather getting the archie jump from a bit lower down, i.e. while in mid-air, but after falling a little way. Edit: just tested it (using -recordfrom with kp13-heh.lmp - one "save", no slomo) and that idea works fine - I got a 0:11. Given that I was blocked a bit by the hell knights in that run, I suppose it should go somewhere under 10 seconds with good monster cooperation. I presume you have a better chance of making it if the archie blast kills you - but then that is very likely in any case.

I did Map13 UV Speed in 12 seconds. I'll send the demo to Opulent and ksutra-n in a minute.

It's the same route as before, because my success rate to survive the hellknights as you did it in kp13-014, Grazza, is too low (less than 5 percent). This two runs combined, and we have it under 10 seconds! Good luck ;)
BTW, I use the SSG to kill the first chaingunner behind the door, sometimes he's blocking me, so I do it the safe way. The SSG can help to get past the hellknights, too.

About Map28: Excellent demo, Ryback! It looks so easy, how you play it!

Anima Zero said:

That map28 max was very nice! Good job!

Now then, I improved map20 UV-Max to 13:06. The Mastermind/Cyber infighting was ok, but could be better. Also a few small mistakes as well.

There were also some minor changes in the beginning, such as the backpack+ SG shells being collected ASAP and telefragging the 1st manco as well.

Now then Richie, hope you like this demo. I feel confident that sub 13:00 is possible, so if you want, give it a shot.

Sending the demo to Ops now.

Great job on the improvement Anima. I too believe that the demo can be pushed to the sub 13 minute (maybe even sub 12) limit. Not really in the mood for Dooming lately (sat down and did a demo for play.wad, but that didn't really do anything to get me back into the Demo-ing mood), but if that changes I'll try to get a demo that's below the 13 minute mark. Hehe, no promises though.

Nice map28 demo as well Ryback!

ragnew said:

Great job on the improvement Anima. I too believe that the demo can be pushed to the sub 13 minute (maybe even sub 12) limit. Not really in the mood for Dooming lately (sat down and did a demo for play.wad, but that didn't really do anything to get me back into the Demo-ing mood), but if that changes I'll try to get a demo that's below the 13 minute mark. Hehe, no promises though.

Oh boy, you'll be amazed by this then. Maybe sub 12...you're wish has been granted. Just improved map20 UV-Max again...to 11:12. Yeah, I knocked off almost 2 minutes from my previous UV-Max. One more route tweak as well, but other than that, I'd say the route is pretty much optimal now.

But...yeah, never expected to knock off 2 whole minutes. I was aiming for a sub 13:00 demo. Got what I wanted and much more ^_^. Sub 11:00 might be possible, but I won't touch that.

Everything I wanted to go right did (And...the Mastermind+Cybie infighting went better than I expected). Some small mistakes in the demo, but nothing drastic that would affect the time in any big way.

Map29...I'd like to see someone do a UV-Max for this level ASAP. Me? I've been trying the past few hours without luck (I might have had one...if I didn't screw up the archie fight just after dropping off the cliff holding the BFG to the lower cave levels). I'd really like that if someone did this level.

Well, this is a surprise. Got 2 UV-Maxes here. One for map08 (Time for this one is 6:00...laugh at that time!), the other for map17 (Time for this one is 8:01...laugh at that time...again!).

Going to send the demos to Ops now.

Finally got through map29. Non-desynching too, so that's a plus. Time for the UV-Max demo is 37:42. Bet it's a bit on the slow side, but I was just focusing on getting out alive. I expect this level to get improved very soon.

Sending to Ops now.

Opulent said:

How many maps are left?...

Not very many that have yet gotten a UV-Max run on them. 16, 18, and 24 remain.

Hello people!

I hope you're enjoying your weekend. I FINALLY did it; I worked on this speedrun all my spare time since tuesday, it was driving me crazy...

Map 9 UV speed in 0:15. Words can't describe how hard I had to work for this one. I kept getting low 0:16 exits all the time, and whenever I felt I was about to get a superb time, I missed the trick jump...

I also did a map 9 UV pacifist in 0:18. That's just a first exit, I did it mostly to see if it was possible. It was. :-)

BTW, I finally finished "Kama Sutra" a couple of days ago. It surely is a superb megaWAD. Map 28 was a real beast, it took me 1 hour and 20 minutes, hehe. :-)

EDIT: Anima, your demos are just great, man! I'm gonna bring out the popcorn for the latest ones, heheh. :-D

Kristian Ronge said:

Anima, your demos are just great, man! I'm gonna bring out the popcorn for the latest ones, heheh. :-D

Alrighty, that sounds all fine to me :). Got another one to add to that list for you to watch (and everyone else too).

I did say that only 16, 18, and 24 have yet to get a UV-Max recorded on them...

...Well, you can wipe 16 off that list now ^_^. I just did a UV-Max for it in 10:46. Nothing went wrong, which is always a plus. I'm not quite sure, but I wonder if getting under 10:00 on this map is possible. I'll leave that up to someone else to decide.

Now, only 18 and 24 remain. Almost a full maxdemo pack now :).

Sending to Ops now.

Angus Thermopyle said:

It's the same route as before, because my success rate to survive the hellknights as you did it in kp13-014, Grazza, is too low (less than 5 percent). This two runs combined, and we have it under 10 seconds! Good luck ;)

I finally got it to work as planned, but sadly was slowed down by the hell knights, so it's:
Map13 UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:11.
I got this quite early in a recording session, but I'd previously had a couple of fruitless rounds of attempts.

Czech people also don't sleep :)

Radek Pecka made maxers on maps 03,09 (haven't seem them yet) and 17 (in 7:38)
and Speed for map16 in 0:42.

I did a max for map16 in 9:24 of one of the first few tries, so it's crappy, 8:30 should be in reach for me. I also improved map16 speed to 0:39 taking slightly different route with AV jumps.

All the demos here (including also that ones I mentioned) will be send to ksutra-n as fast as possible!

Well, only one more level left after my demo today and we'll have a full maxdemo pack. This demo is for map24, UV-Max, in...15:00. Yeah, another even minute demo. I must be lucky...or something.

Oh, and I also noticed...all of my even minute maxdemos I've done so far are a multiple of 3 (3:00 for map 7, 6:00 for map 8, 12:00 for map 27, and the new one mentioned above). Interesting I must say.

Sending the map24 demo to Ops now.

EDIT: Well, since I was bored, I decided to have another crack at improving my map27 UV-Max. Got a new exit in 11:35, 25 seconds faster than my previous demo. Going to send this demo to Ops as well.

I improved map16 to 8:27.
The times of Radeg demos are 1:19 for map3 and 3:26 for map9, I sent ALL the demos to ksutra-n, there are 31demos waiting for the update!!!

Btw. Does anybody trust me that I fairly haven't known about the Archie Jump Anima does in map29? It's unbelievable for me how could I (and Method) overlook that one :)))))))

Gusta said:

Btw. Does anybody trust me that I fairly haven't known about the Archie Jump Anima does in map29? It's unbelievable for me how could I (and Method) overlook that one :)))))))

Oh really? I didn't know that :P. I thought that was the only way to get to the secret at first :P. Then I thought the BFG would be a big help in getting a fast time early on, so I just planned to do the archie jump...twice (One archie jump to blast me into the secret room, then have it blast me again when I come back with the BFG).

But...yeah. I stumbled on that jump myself while I was mucking about the level coming up with a half-decent strategy/route.

So...with that outta the way, who wants to do the last level (18) :)?

That secret place is surely accessable by teleporting in or with a RocketJump from the previous room. That was enough for us so maybe that's we haven't been thinking about some other chances to get that place like that very obvious and easy AV jump :)
Btw. I haven't seen the whole demo yet but I think it could be done faster because my time in not recording session was about 28mins taking the classic route .. well a few kills missed but I haven't been playing to get a fast time in anyway. I'll probably look at this map and try which route is better.
About map18.. when it was builded Method got a time about 12mins, he managed to intend a fairly good route. I made a nomo demo demonstrates that route approximatelly, but don't know how usable that demo is for the same route with monsters. I could send it if anybody's interested.

Oh and don't forget to mention, Anima, I saw your latest run for maps 8,10,13 and 20.. very good and quick demos! And I am glad that taht damned map08 has been finally beaten! Great work!

Gusta said:
Btw. Does anybody trust me that I fairly haven't known about the Archie Jump Anima does in map29?

It's completely straightforward, I thought of it (and executed it) immediately the first time I played it through, hehe. I didn't even know there was another way to get to that secret!? What is the "intended" method?

EDIT: Oh, okay, should read Gusta's posts clearer. :-)

I noticed a gap in the episode 1 Speed table, so decided to fill it:
map05 (Klondike) UV Speed in 0:29.

Two little tricks (one easy, and one where I had a low success rate) mean that much of the map can be skipped. Pacifist should also be possible on this route.

Irrelevant edit: These two tricks make map05 the first I have come across in ksutra that can be played as a zombie (i.e. using zombie.deh, included in the file linked to in that post).

ok graz there must be something wierd going on over there in that parallel uiverse of yours. all the maps i've checked out that arent done in the speed/max table are cramped,wedged full of monsters and quite linear (run to one end, get key, run all way back) though i'm at work now and cant check out your runs i'm curious as to how the hell you're finding gaps between the monsters let alone speed run tricks! nutter

This map would indeed be a pain for speedrunning if you needed to collect (and use) all the keys - it would probably look a bit like a Max but with monsters left alive and a secret unvisited. The purpose of the two tricks is to skip the keys, and this leaves just a few relatively uncrowded passages to run along. The first trick is a kind of glide around a pillar that is supposed to block the player, and the second is an awkward manoeuvre using a little step to get over a low wall that lies between you and the exit.

Most of the maps have some deliberate shortcuts - and in maps of this complexity, there are bound to be a few unintended ones here and there too. All it takes is some searching and a twisted mind. :p

BTW, I've improved it by a few seconds, but it's still ugly, so I'll try some more when I've got time.

Nice route on Map05, Grazza :)

I did UV pacifist in 0:26.

I needed two tries for the jump in this demo, touched all walls and monsters before and ruined the finish. So Seldo-time should be under 0:20. Will send it to Opulent and ksutra-n though, because I don't have time for Doom til weekend.

EDIT: What's your new time, Grazza?

EDIT 2: Improved it to 0:24. It's also pacifist.
Made the jump at first try, but lost a few seconds at some imps before. Damn! Ok, I have to leave my comp NOW (that means, 20 minutes ago). Bye!

Angus Thermopyle said:

EDIT: What's your new time, Grazza?

0:26 edit: 0:25 and still ugly. I think 0:20 would be a nice target time for a run where nothing gets in the way. I doubt I'll get too close to that though.

OK, I got one that isn't too ugly, and is at least in the right ballpark time-wise: Map05 UV Speed in 0:22. I guess the Sedlo-time must be quite a long way under 0:20.

New and improved UV-Max for map 24 that I just did. If you'd like to know, this was done when I was overly PO'ed because nothing was going right in the attempts at all (Including doing a 12:2x demo early on, but one monster survived. ARGH!).

That changed here though, faster than the 12:2x, plus having some parts go much much better than I expected (Telefragging the 1st cybie, something I never expected to do, but am very pleased to see happen. Also killed the 3 cybies in the BSK room when I actually go get it...without taking any dmg at all. Double shock right there, as I always take some kind of dmg from them).

Couple minor mishaps, such as rocketing an arach at point blank range thanks to it moving in my way.

Oh, and I use up all of my rockets and cells. Yay to that.

Time for the demo is 11:31, almost 3 1/2 minutes faster than my previous maxdemo.